One political strategy is that you don’t apply the same politicking style in government as you may have done in opposition. The simple reason is that in opposition you are on your own without any support from anywhere or anyone, but in government, you have all government and state agencies at your disposal. The president is the Commander –In – Chief of the Ghana Armed Forces and he appoints the Chief of Defense Staff. So his influence in the military cannot be overemphasized; hence there would be no need for any external source of security for the president and the party. The security agencies have all sworn oath to be loyal to every government that is why sometimes they go hard against opposition parties.
The New Patriotic Party in opposition needed people like Bernard Antwi Boasiako who is also known as Chairman Wontumi, Chairman Bugri Naabu, Kwame Baffoe who is also known as Abronye DC, to do the rough works of the party and pave the way into power. But when you win power, and you don’t tame them in government, you only attract disaffection for your government. When you are a party in Government, you do not need people who can attack opposition parties but rather people who can communicate your achievement to the people and also explain to them those that you have not finished and the reasons why you need another term to complete them. You need people with excellent and impeccable communications skills who can handle controversial matters without annoying the electorates. Such people must be highly knowledgeable and politically matured.
It is just unfortunate the New Patriotic Party has allowed the Chairman for the Ashanti Region to be whittling the many gains the Akufo Addo/ Bawumia government have consolidated over the years. His actions are not speaking well of the party due to their history. A party that believes in the tradition of Danquah – Dombo – Busia is not known for displaying such crass and offensive attitudes. All the three men they drive their tradition from were great men, and fantastic scholars who endeared themselves so well in history is remembering them fondly. They were all great scholars who helped in shaping Ghana as the country we have today.
I have now understood why he calls himself the Governor of Ashanti Region. It is because he always has his way without recourse to the laws and regulations of the party. The types of Wontumi, Abronye and Kennedy Agyapong are needed in politics, but they can bring you down when you fail to use them well. They are like a knife in the hands of a reckless person; it can cause death, but in the hands of a skilful surgeon, it will bring life. They were needed in opposition to attack the ruling government and make them unpopular because either you like it or not, they have followers who listen to them. But that notwithstanding, Ghanaians are now discerning, and that strategy will not be accepted in government.
Looking for TWO SURE? This group won the Friday and Saturday games. Click to join Whats-App group.
The way the party allowed him to handle the primaries of some constituencies make nonsense of the NPP’s claim that they are the party with most intellectuals and their self-acclaimed champions of the rule of law. The Machiavellian way he disqualified Manarf Ibrahim from the Asawase Constituency primaries dents the party’s image and dims the spirit of the youth. Manarf Ibrahim was a fantastic party youth who paid his dues well to party and did not deserve to be treated as an alien in his own party and in a region he has once served as a Deputy Regional Secretary. That alone slims the party’s chances in the Asawase constituency parliamentary elections.
He went ahead to push some candidates through as independent despite loud disapproval from the party faithful. He organized the Asante Akyem North constituency primaries even when there was an injunction from a court of competent jurisdiction. He also held the Subin elections in the face a court injunction which was duly served on them. All these happened without a word of condemnation from the party he serves them as a regional chairman. When they fail to call him out, and he keeps playing with their stronghold like that, the dangers are very eminent.
Ashanti Region is a traditional region which needs people with the maturity to run the affairs of any serious party. His recent attacks on the running mate nominee of the opposition National Democratic Congress (NDC), Professor Jane Naana Opoku Agyemang, come as no surprise at all when you know him well. It is very usual of him but just that he is not doing his party any favour or good. This is going to attract a lot of condemnation from various groups which will make his party unpopular. He is still engaging in the opposition type of politicking which cannot win him any votes. I doubt if Wontumi can mention just three achievements of his party in his own region without verbally abusing his opponents.
This is the right time for the New Patriotic Party as well as the president of the republic who doubles as the flagbearer of the ruling party to call him to order to avoid further vituperations and embarrassments which will create disaffection for the party and lose floating voters to the NDC.
- Money or Intelligence, Which one has more power in the NPP?
- List of 10 female running mates and presidential candidates of Ghana
- In-depth analysis that shows that Dr. Bawumia and Prof. Naana Jane are on the same level academically and politically
- NPP and Bawumia’s Claims On Book and Research Allowance False
- How NPP can foil Prof. Naana Jane’s weapon
- How Prof. Opoku Agyemang’s appointment puts NPP communicators in a tight corner
- Is the NDC pressing on the gender button?
- What Prof. Jane Naana Opoku has in common with past running mates that should scare the NPP
- Ghanaian celebrities who have publicly shown displeasure for Akufo Addo’s governance
- HILARIOUS: All the times Ghanaian celebrities ‘murdered’ the English language
- Ghanaian politicians who have been to prison
- Seven NPP scandals that make John Mahama an angel with Airbus scandal
- 4 times Nana Addo proved to be a listening President
- Funny things that Akufo-Addo would be forever remembered for
- How far with A-Plus and his TPP?
- 5 groups of people who should vote for NPP at all cost
- 4 groups of people who should vote for NDC at all cost
- 5 Promises John Mahama has made that we cannot trust
- 7 Promises by John Mahama that we can confidently trust
- A Ritual? These Are NPP Bigwigs Who Died In An Election Year
- 7 examples that prove that NPP’s leadership is a family affair
- How The NDC Is Turning Into A Populist Party For Votes
- Would Akufo-Addo contest again in 2024 should he lose this year’s elections?
- Is John Mahama on a promising spree because he still believes Ghanaians have short memory?
- For how long will Volta Region keep voting without any significant development?
- Why I will vote against Akufo-Addo even if he gives me free water and electricity for life
- Will the Ashanti Region keep on voting for mere promises?
- Akufo-Addo’s free water and electricity, are they for votes or genuine concern?
- Is Hawa Koomson’s act a confirmation that the NPP is the most violent political party in Ghana?
- Why is the President cutting sods for new projects? What if the NDC wins the 2020 elections?