The subject of Health is too broad for a single definition. This does not mean it can’t be defined. Over the years, several definitions have been suggested.
Some have said it is the state of being free from illness or injury.
Others have defined it as a person’s mental or physical condition.
According to Medical News Today, “Health can be defined as physical, mental, and social wellbeing, and as a resource for living a full life. It refers not only to the absence of disease, but the ability to recover and bounce back from illness and other problems. Factors for good health include genetics, the environment, relationships, and education.”
According to the World Health Organization (WHO), Health is “a state of complete physical, mental, and social wellbeing and not merely the absence of disease”. Physical is about the body. Mental is about how people think and feel.
A healthy person, therefore, can be described as disease-free, but a disease-free person cannot be a healthy person. Generally, the healthy person is free from any infection, disease or any other mental stress.
How can we identify a healthy person?
Here are the signs or indicators that show that a person is of a healthy body. Some of these are
Looking for TWO SURE? This group won the Friday and Saturday games. Click to join Whats-App group.
- Healthy and Thick Hair. Thin, branched, dry hair can be a mark of health problems, such as thyroid deficiency, stress, and malnutrition. According to scalp expert David H. Kingsley PhD., “Conversely, healthy hair is also a healthy indicator of the body. Hair is a barometer of health in general,”
- Strong Nails. Another window to an individual’s Health is on every fingertip, to be specific, nails. “Nails are a perfect reflection of Health. Much of what happens to the nails involves systemic or skin system problems,” according to dermatologist Christine Poblete-Lopez.
According to him, stress can affect the nails, hair, and signals from problems throughout the body—for example, reddish nail pads and yellow, and brittle nails. In addition to the fungus, the condition can be an indication of lupus or anaemia.
- Healthy Teeth and Gums. Oral Health is also a health barometer. Strong teeth with pink gums is a healthy indicator of the body. Like other areas of the body, the mouth is a nest of bacteria, though many are harmless. But if oral hygiene is not maintained, the bacteria could become dangerous because it can cause mouth infections, porous teeth, and gum disease.
Body Mass Index is Balanced. Body mass index (BMI), is a measure of weight and height ratio as well as being a pointer to when there is excess fat. People whose BMI is less or more than the prescribed number may experience metabolic problems. Generally, a body mass index a BMI of less than 18 is not too good as it could mean one was malnourished, between 18.5 to 25 meant one had a normal weight, while a figure above 25 and up to 30 meant one was overweight.
Any figure ranging from 30 and above indicated that one was getting into the obese state with various classes of obesity.
- Enough sleep. We must know that sleep deprivation is bad for Health and can trigger diabetes, weight gain, and heart disease. In the same way, a person’s ability or inability to have just the expected right amount of sleep is a sign of how healthy they are.
- Social Interaction. The results mentioned that having many friends, support from social networks, and interaction with others is very good for health, not just mental health, but also physical.
- Healthy Diet. According to the Harvard School of Public Health (HSPH), regular consumption of fruits and vegetables can lower blood pressure, heart disease and stroke risk, prevent some types of cancer, reduce the risk of eye problems and digestion, as well as maintaining blood sugar levels. The eating pattern of a person will show how healthy they are, it is just a matter of time, and their immunity will respond to the kind of diet they give the body!
A healthy lifestyle is, therefore, one which helps to keep and improve people’s health and wellbeing. Healthy living is a lifelong effect. The ways to being healthy include healthy eating, physical activities, weight management, and stress management. Good Health allows people to do many things. Eat well, sleep well, exercise well, and live well.