The Minority in Parliament has walked out of the House as Lydia Alhassan has been sworn in MP for Ayawaso West Wuogon constituency Tuesday morning.
The National Democratic Congress (NDC) Parliamentarians say they do not want to be associated with the process.
Minority Chief Whip, Muntaka Mubarak Mohammed, told the House their walking out is in solidarity with the victims of the violence that occurred at the La Bawaleshie polling centre on the voting day, Joy News’ Joseph Opoku Gakpo has reported.
“…in to support our comrades and citizens that were unnecessarily hurt and brutally assaulted, I am sorry to say that with your indulgence, our side of the house cannot be here to witness this swearing in,” he said amid cheers from his colleague Minority MPs.
The First Deputy Speaker of Parliament, Joseph Osei Owusu, however, went ahead and sworn Mrs. Alhassan into office.
The Deputy Majority Leader, Adwoa Sarfo expressed her disappointment at the stance of the Minority, saying that the swearing in was in line with the Constitution of Ghana.
“…we will not be perturbed by the absence of the other side. Business will continue as usual,” she said amid cheers from the Majority.
She added that the House will continue with the business for the day.
Meanwhile, the Minority members of the House walked out and headed to the police station to demand for what they describe as brutalities against NDC supporters.
Looking for TWO SURE? This group won the Friday and Saturday games. Click to join Whats-App group.
Why is the Minority protesting?
On January 31, 2019 electorates in the over 130 polling centres in the Ayawaso West Wuogon constituency in Accra voted to elect a new MP to replace Emmanuel Agyarko who died in November 2018.
However, a few hours into the election, armed men stormed the residence of NDC candidate, Delali Kwesi Brempong and engaged in a shooting spree.
The violence escalated to the La Bawaleshie polling centre close by and the NDC withdrew their agents from all the other 130 polling centres, citing intimidation.
They have called on the EC to annul the results. The EC however, described the electoral process as peaceful save the incident as La Bawaleshie.
President Akufo-Addo has also condemned the incident but described it as an isolated case of violence.
In a twist, however, Minister of State in charge of National Security, Bryan Acheampong, said the men were National Security operatives who were acting on intelligence although he said he was not at liberty to reveal what they were after.
- VIDEO: NPP’s Nana B Slaps NDC’s Sammy Gyamfi During A Live Studio Discussion In The Studio Of Asempa FM
- Ayawaso By-Election: Late Agyarko’s Wife In A Comfortable Lead
- Ayawaso By-Election: Let’s Come Together And Kick Out NPP And NDC In 2020 – A-Plus To Ghanaian Youths
- Ayawaso By-Election: NDC Withdraws Following Shooting Incident
- Ayawaso by-Election: Gunshots Fired At Bawaleshie Presby polling station Injuring 3 People
- NPP and NDC’s achievements that are confusing voters in decision making
- NDC rejects Regional Minister’s sugar, NPP does same to Adongo’s sugar
- NPP planning to sacrifice 3 kidnapped T’di girls for rituals in 2020 polls – NDC alleges
- Second militia disbandment meeting Monday
- 7 times Nana Addo endorsed Mahama
- Reverend Owusu Bempah Is A Biased Prophet – John Mahama
- NPP/NDC Politics Has Taken Over My Church – Duncan Williams Laments
- NPP MP’s Sleeping With NDC Women – Haruna Iddrisu Reveals
- Afia Schwarzenegger Suggests Akua Donkor Should Be Caged Like A Monkey
- VIDEO: John Mahama Will Lose 2020 Elections Just Like Nigeria’s Atiku – Owusu Bempah Predicts
- BREAKING: Kennedy Agyapong Releases Audio Of NDC’s Plan To Kill Dr Bawumia – AUDIO
- VIDEO: President Akufo-Addo Is A Disappointment To Ghana – Kumawood Actor
- Rawlings Attacks Kufuor Again – Here Is What He Said
- Ayawaso By-Election: NDC’s Ishau Yaro To Lose His Leg From Gun Wounds
- PHOTOS: NDC And Other Opposition Parties Demonstrate Against Nana Addo’s Government
- Mahama Vows Never To Apologise For “Boot For Boot” Comment
- I Regret Endorsing NDC – Mzbel Cries Out
- Ayawaso By-Election: John Mahama Visits Victims Of Gun Attack – PHOTOS
- Ayawaso By-Election: NDC MP, Sam George Receives Several Slaps From NPP’s Invincible Forces – VIDEO
- Ayawaso By-Election: Actor John Dumelo Attacked By Masked Gunmen? – VIDEO
- VIDEO: “Foolish Journalism” – Yvonne Nelson Insults Ghanaian Journalists For Twisting Her Words
- VIDEO: Actress Yvonne Nelson regrets organising “Dumsor Vigil” Against the NDC?
- Menzgold saga: NAM1 will never be prosecuted in Dubai – Ibrah One reveals
- Menzgold saga: NDC denies issuing diplomatic passport to NAM1
- 7 Celebrities offered appointment under President Nana Addo