One year ago, Thursday, February 8, Ghana was hit with the shocking news that young star, Ebony, had died. The musician, whose rise to the top was meteoric and who generated controversy with her fashion, statements and stagecraft, died in a gory accident on the Sunyani-Kumasi highway after a visit to her mother.
Ebony took the music industry by storm in a short space of time; in a little over a year, she claimed the spotlight in a manner that some who had been around for years had not been able to, dropping hit songs like Kupe, Poison, Sponsor, Date Ur Fada, Hustle, and Maame Hwe.
Her exploits in that time led to calls that she should win the topmost prize at the Vodafone Ghana Music Awards (VGMA), Artiste of the Year but sadly, Ebony did not live to see that happen and was awarded the plaque posthumously.
While the public was shaken about Ebony, real name Priscilla Opoku Kwarteng’s death, her family, especially her father, Nana Poku Kwarteng, with whom she was very close, her mother and siblings were more traumatised at losing such a light in their lives.
Showbiz recently spoke Nana Poku Kwarteng about his feelings a year after he lost his beautiful daughter who he affectionately called Ohemaa and he indicated February 8, has become a day he hates.
“I do not like that day and date at all, to me, I wish it didn’t even exist. That is the day that tragic thing happened, my daughter, Ohemaa lost her life and it’s just sad.
“Honestly, though ideally, we are supposed to celebrate her one year on that fateful day, I do not see anything about it that is worth celebrating and it is not written anywhere that we have to do it on that same day,” he said.
Looking for TWO SURE? This group won the Friday and Saturday games. Click to join Whats-App group.
Typically, death anniversaries are commemorated so in keeping with that tradition, Nana Kwarteng said he will do something in his daughter’s memory.
“I will do what custom says, on Friday I will pray and wish her a good rest wherever she is and all that, on the quiet and that is it. The real thing will happen on March, 31. That is when we will roll out something for the public consumption.”
Before her death, Ebony’s father had pledged his undying support for anything his daughter did in an earlier interview with Showbiz.
“I am supportive of anything my daughter does and anything she wears. I am not ashamed as a father, the truth is that I choose what she wears and I bless her before she goes out to perform. Some Ghanaians are hypocrites and I am sorry but I am not one of them,” he said.
“My daughter is not a bad girl, she is very calm, loving and a respectful person. Whatever she does on stage ends there. She is a different person when she gets home.
“My girl as I usually call her is close to my heart. We are so close that I gave her the go-ahead when she told me she wanted to do music,” he added.
Ebony Reigns’ maiden music video, Dancefloor released in 2015, did not receive much play, but by 2017, the “’90s bad gal” was the queen of Ghana music. She released hit after hit, topping all the charts and headlining many shows.
- Ebony’s Unreleased Songs: Dad Hands Over Majority Of The Songs To Bullet – VIDEO
- Ebony’s Birthday, 16th February To Be Declared As “Ebony Jollof Day”?
- Ebony’s Dad Calls Bullet ‘Prodigal Son’ After Making Peace With Him
- Let’s Make Peace – Bullet ‘Begs’ Ebony’s Father
- REVEALED: This Is How Much Bullet Charged Ebony’s Dad Before Giving Him Her Songs
- Fresh revelations over Ebony’s death
- Bullet Freely Opens Up About The Music Career Of The Late Ebony Reigns
- Bullet Shed Tears For Listening To Ebony’s Never-Heard-Before Interview
- Bullet Denies Sleeping With Ebony And Wendy Shay
- I Lost Control Of Ebony; Wasn’t Aware She Was Travelling – Bullet Reveals
- Late Ebony Reigns set to release new song “Be your driver” under father’s record label
- GHS 3000 Charge Claim an Insult To Our Brand – Keche finally Breaks Silence
- Are the artistes paid more than what Bullet wrote on the list?
- Artistes Taking Advantage of Bullet and Ebony Father’s Media War to Resurrect Career
- Factors responsible for Wendy Shay’s success revealed
- I’m sorry – Ms Forson apologizes to Bullet
- Ebony not cause of Ruff n Smooth split – Akhan speaks
- Kuami Eugene will die same way as late Ebony – Eagle Prophet
- Bullet forced me to divorce my husband 4 months after we married – Ms Forson
- Ms Forson should shut up, I clothed and fed her – Angry Bullet fires
- Ahkan’s frequent trips to America collapsed Ruff N Smooth – Bullet
- Bullet gave the songs we wrote together to Wendy Shay – Ms Forson
- Shatta Wale’s words to Wendy Shay after she shamed critics with new Jeep
- Wendy Shay’s interview edited to gain traffic – Bullet
- Bullet accused of stealing songs for Wendy Shay
- VIDEO: Did Sarkodie Remove Strongman’s Verse On “Odo” ?
- Bullet doesn’t answer my calls – Kelvynboy
- BEEF ALERT: Bullet blasts Kelvynboy after he snubbed Wendy Shay
- Wendy Shay’s music goes through research and consultation before it’s released – Bullet
- Danny Beatz Reveals Why He Loved Working With Ebony Than Wendy Shay