The Ghana Police Service on Sunday, May 19, 2019, arrested two of Ghana’s biggest musicians, Livingstone Etse Satekla popularly known in showbiz circles as Stonebwoy and Charles Nii Armah (Shatta Wale) over a brawl that ensued at the just ended Vodafone Ghana Music Awards.
The camp of Stonebwoy and Shatta Wale clashed on stage when Stonebwoy was announced as the winner for the Reggae/Dancehall Artiste of the Year category.
In the midst of the tension, Stonebwoy pulled out a gun; an action he has explained in a press statement as self-defence.
Taking to Facebook, Kwame A Plus and former manager of Shatta Wale, Bulldog confirmed that both musicians were detained by the police yesterday.
“We are still at the police station. Shatta and Stonebwoy have both been detained. The police have been very professional. For the sake of peace and to avoid many people trooping here which will definitely make the work of the police very difficult, we won’t make public which police station they are being held. I’m here with Bull Dog. This beef, no matter how hard it is, we will chew it and make peace. 4lyf is 4lyf. NB: Don’t go to Tesano Police Station. We have left there”, Kwame A Plus posted at 12am on Facebook.
Stonebwoy apologises for pulling out gun
The fifth time winner of the Reggae Dancehall Artiste in a row released a statement Sunday afternoon explaining why he pulled a gun during the brawl between his camp and Shatta Wale’s at the 20th edition of the Vodafone Ghana Music Awards (VGMAs).
According to the artiste, attacks on him and his loved ones, especially on his wife during the 2017 Ashaiman to The World concert heightened his sense of security.
The artiste revealed being “a victim of incessant vilification and physical attacks” caused a trauma he is yet to escape from.
“My past trauma and my heightened senses are however no excuses for my behaviour – no matter the provocation. Other lives were at stake and Ghana’s reputation was also at stake,” the statement read.
He, however, sent out his unreserved apology to CharterHouse, Vodafone Ghana, and the public.
CharterHouse Condemns unruly behaviour
Looking for TWO SURE? This group won the Friday and Saturday games. Click to join Whats-App group.
Organisers of the Ghana Music Awards, Charterhouse Productions in a press statement signed by George Quaye has also condemned the behaviour of two top artistes that marred the beauty of the 2019 awards.
The statement read “As a law-abiding corporate citizen, Charterhouse has reported the incidence to the police and have been cooperating with the police to investigate and to ensure that the true facts of what happened would be known and addressed.
“Measures will also be taken in consultation and partnership with Security agencies to ensure enhanced security subsequently”.
Vodafone Ghana reiterates commitment to Ghana music industry
Vodafone Ghana, lead sponsors of Ghana Music Awards (VGMA) has assured music lovers of its commitment to the development of music in Ghana.
According to the Telecom giants, regardless of the issues that marred the beauty of the event on Saturday, they will continue to support music in Ghana.
The statement mentioned that the organization is ready to support any review process of the incident that occurred yesterday.
‘Guns will talk instead of people’ – Shatta wale warns
Shatta Wale has also justified his decision to mount the stage even when he was not the recipient of the Reggae/Dancehall Artist of the year.
He says his motive was to solidarise with his compatriot, Stonebwoy, and to send a message to music lovers that they, musicians, are one family.
In a Facebook post by Shatta Wale, the ‘Gringo’ singer warned that he would retaliate in equal measure if Stonebwoy continued to draw weapons anytime he(Stonebwoy) was provoked.
If ghana police no collect your gun because of your trigger happy life ,I swear I will comot gun anywhere I see u and even if they cease my gun for doing that I will show you I have more guns ..Cuz you didn’t only threatened my life but the lives of people …
— SHATTA WALE (@shattawalegh) May 19, 2019
- Ghanaians who have won prestigious global awards
- Ghanaian Celebrities Who Own Range Rovers
- Menzgold, and other top cases in court that you probably don’t know their status now
- Prestigious Address: Ghanaian celebrities who have moved to East Legon
- Father’s Day: Young Ghanaian Celebrities who are fathers (+ Heartwarming Photos)
- Ghanaian celebrities who have made us proud overseas
- Ghanaian celebrities and their brands that Ghanaians actually love
- Shatta Wale Dashes His ‘Most Popular Video’ Award To Stonebwoy And Promises Never To Beef With Him Anymore(Video)
- Shatta Wale beats Stonebwoy, Sarkodie at 2019 Ghana Music Awards UK
- Shatta Wale & I deserve special treatment – Stonebwoy
- Stonebwoy, Shatta Wale case stalls
- Stonebwoy, Shatta Wale case stalls
- Shatta ‘bigs up’ Stonebwoy on his Buju Banton collabo
- I’ll love a collaboration with Shatta Wale, Stonebwoy, Sarkodie – Bro Sammy
- My Beef With Stonebwoy Is Not Affecting The Economy – Shatta Wale
- Stonebwoy, Samini could have gotten Beyonce collabo – Shatta Wale
- State to call four witnesses in Stonebwoy, Shatta Wale trial
- Stonebwoy, Shatta Wale court case adjourned due to absence of 4th witness
- Stop ‘chopping’ area girls and marry like Sark, Stonebwoy, others – Rosemond Browns to Shatta Wale
- Why create chaos and ask us to pay? – Shatta Wale/Stonebwoy queried
- ShattaStone is a nine days’ wonder — Industry players
- Shatta Wale quotes bible verse to support why he kissed Stonebwoy
- Love Stonebwoy, he is a very nice guy – Shatta Wale explains to SM fans
- Shatta Wale, Stonebwoy team up for ”Ghana First” concert
- Stonebwoy, Shatta send message to Ghana Police
- ‘I always wanted to make peace with Shatta Wale long ago’ – Stonebwoy confesses
- Shatta-Stonebwoy Peace Conference: Kelvynboy snubs Wendy Shay (Video)
- We Will Be Happy If Shatta Wale And Stonebwoy Become One Forever – Keche
- Stonebwoy and I are taking Ghana Music to the world – Shatta Wale
- How Samini, Sarkodie and Kwaw Kese reacted to Shatta Wale and Stonebwoy’s reunion