Sarkodie has been adjudged Artiste of the Decade at the just ended Vodafone Ghana Music Awards, beating competition from nine other acts.
According to the Board of the prestigious scheme which is in its 20th year, Sarkodie has for the past ten years, performed better than Efya, R2Bees, Joe Mettle, No Tribe & Nacee, Shatta Wale, Okyeame Kwame, Stonebwoy, Samini and Becca who were all shortlisted for the category.
Sarkodie was ushered unto mainstream music via Duncwills Entertainment, and after some years of working together, a partnership that got them fame, awards and prestige – he is also providing a platform for others in the name of SarkCess Music, his own imprint.
He’s produced 5 major independent albums, ‘Makye’, ‘Rapperholic’, ‘Sarkology’, ‘Mary’ and ‘Highest’. These albums have spawned uncountable hits songs and topped charts across the world.
Sarkodie’s legend transcends the borders of Ghana. He has played sold out concerts across the world, notably among them are the headline-making shows at Apollo Theatre in the US and that at Indigo O2 Arena in UK.
Rated as one of the influential musicians in Africa, Sarkodie has collaborated with the likes of 2Face, Wizkid, Tiwa Savage, Ice Prince, Phyno and many others.
For the first time in the history of the scheme, gospel musicians received Lifetime Achievement Awards as Prof. Kofi Abraham and Rev. Mrs. Mary Ghansah took their turns as laureates. Highlife legend Obuoba J.A. Adofo was also a recipient.
Held at the new Dome which was constructed purposely for this year’s edition by organisers of the event Charterhouse Ghana, the show recorded huge patronage as usual, with amazing performances from Sarkodie, Samini, Kuami Eugene, KiDi, King Promise, Kwesi Arthur, Medikal, Efya, Adina, Amakye Dede, Sidney, and Burna Boy.
Looking for TWO SURE? This group won the Friday and Saturday games. Click to join Whats-App group.
Confusion however rocked the event as Stonebwoy pulled a gun on stage. He had been called to receive the award for Reggae/Dancehall Artiste for the fifth consecutive time when Shatta Wale stormed the stage. Unsure of what his ‘rival’s action could be, Stonebwoy pulled out a gun.
The event was halted for more than twenty minutes before calm was restored.
Below is the full list of winners
Traditional Artiste of the Year – Kwan Pa
Instrumentalist of the Year – Mr Okyere
Lifetime Achievement Award – Dr Rev Mrs Mary Ghansah
Lifetime Achievement Award – Obuoba J.A. Adofo and
Lifetime Achievement Award – Prof Kofi Abraham
Unsung Artiste of the Year – Kula
Gospel Song of the Year – Diana Hamilton for ‘Mo Ne Yo’
Highlife Song of the Year – Shatta Wale for ‘My Level’.
Reggae/Dancehall Song of the Year – Shatta Wale for ‘Gringo’
Hip-hop Song of the Year – Kwesi Arthur for ‘Anthem’
Hiplife Song of the Year – ‘Obiaa Wone Master’ by Yaa Pono feat Stonebwoy
Diana Hamilton – Gospel Artiste of the Year
Hiplife/Hip-pop Artiste of the Year – Medikal
Highlife Artiste of the Year – Kuame Eugene
Afropop song of the Year – ‘Akwaaba’ – Mr Eazi, Patapaa, Pappy Kojo
Reggae Dancehall Artiste of the Year – Stonebwoy
Artiste of the Decade – Sarkodie!
Album of the Year award – ‘Rockstar’ by Kuami Eugene
Best New Artiste – Wendy Shay
- VGMA19: Check out winners at 20th Vodafone Ghana Music Awards
- Shatta Wale beats Stonebwoy, Sarkodie at 2019 Ghana Music Awards UK
- Wendy Shay and 9 celebrities we’ve seen with customized number plate cars
- I’ll love a collaboration with Shatta Wale, Stonebwoy, Sarkodie – Bro Sammy
- Shatta-Stonebwoy Peace Conference: Kelvynboy snubs Wendy Shay (Video)
- How Samini, Sarkodie and Kwaw Kese reacted to Shatta Wale and Stonebwoy’s reunion
- Shatta Wale Jabs Sarkodie And Stonebwoy; Tags Them As Ungrateful To Bloggers
- Nominations for 2019 Ghana Entertainment Awards USA revealed
- 3Music Awards 2019: Shatta Wale’s ‘Gringo’ Likely To Win “Viral Song Of The Year” Award
- Ghanaians who have won prestigious global awards
- Ghanaian Celebrities Who Own Range Rovers
- Prestigious Address: Ghanaian celebrities who have moved to East Legon
- Father’s Day: Young Ghanaian Celebrities who are fathers (+ Heartwarming Photos)
- Ghanaian celebrities who have made us proud overseas
- Ghanaian celebrities and their brands that Ghanaians actually love
- Sarkodie’s ‘Oofeets? song ‘ignites’ rivalry between Sark Nation and SM
- Shatta Wale Dashes His ‘Most Popular Video’ Award To Stonebwoy And Promises Never To Beef With Him Anymore(Video)
- I didn’t go to Sarkodie’s concert because he didn’t invite me – Shatta Wale
- Shatta Wale has made me fearless – Wendy Shay
- Yaa Pono names his six friends in the music industry
- Shatta Wale & I deserve special treatment – Stonebwoy
- Shatta Wale’s words to Wendy Shay after she shamed critics with new Jeep
- Stonebwoy, Shatta Wale case stalls
- Stonebwoy, Shatta Wale case stalls
- Shatta ‘bigs up’ Stonebwoy on his Buju Banton collabo
- Nothing wrong with Medikal bragging he saved Ghana’s rap – Sarkodie
- Stonebwoy, Samini could have gotten Beyonce collabo – Shatta Wale
- Is Beyoncé your queen? – Shatta Wale ‘angrily’ asks Sarkodie
- Shatta Wale ‘ignorantly’ shares a photoshopped post of Sarkodie on social media
- Sarkodie is a hypocrite – Shatta Wale