The wife of Mexico’s most notorious cartel boss Joaquín “El Chapo” Guzmán, has been arrested at Dulles international airport in Virginia on drug trafficking charges.
A statement released by the United States of America Justice Department revealed that she was arrested on Monday and was scheduled to make her first appearance in court via video conference on Tuesday, February 23, 2021.
According to court documents, Coronel is charged with conspiring to distribute cocaine, methamphetamine, heroin and marijuana for importation into the US.
She has also been charged with allegedly conspiring to help arrange Guzmán’s spectacular escape through a mile-long tunnel from the high-security Altiplano prison in Mexico in July 2015. It is alleged that Emma Coronel conspired with her El Chapo’s son to plot his escape route.
After Guzmán was re-arrested in Mexico in January 2016, Coronel Aispuro is alleged to have engaged in planning yet another prison escape with others prior to Guzmán’s extradition to the US in January 2017,” the statement said.
- El Chapo Found Guilty on All Counts; Faces Life Imprisonment
- ‘El Chapo’ Guzman Trial: Suspect accused in court of having sex with young girls
- El Chapo and wife stunned as his girlfriend testifies against him in court
- FBI ‘turned El Chapo’s IT expert’ to bring down drug lord
- El Chapo’s Wife fails to Show at Trial For First Time In 6 Weeks
- El Chapo’s Wife Speaks Out About Her Drug Trafficking Husband In New Interview