June 16, this year is celebrated as Fathers’ Day. The celebration of this day unlike Mother’s Day is often on low key. Why? In parenting, mothers are closer to the children than fathers. Are there any roles for fathers in parenting? Let’s begin a discourse on this.
Fathers, undoubtedly, are the heads of the families, (my apologies to single mothers whose roles are equal to that of fathers and even beyond). This does not mean that fathers have the right to boss everyone around! As rightly pointed out, ‘being the head of a family is about being a leader not a dictator.
Self-discipline is the key to good ‘fatherhood’! For, ‘if a father is a good and just person and treats everyone with respect, then his children will learn more when he says you must show respect to each person you meet.
As a teacher, it is sad to note that some students hate talking about their fathers because there is NO RELATIONSHIP between them and their biological fathers. Some student will simply tell you, ‘I have no father’ or ‘forget about my father!’
Do we as fathers know our role in parenting?
Fathers’ Role in Parenting:
So much have been said and written about the role of the father in parenting. Prominent among the discussion include;
a) The father as a role model- Fathers are the first role models to their children whether they realize it or not. For example, a girl who spends time with a loving father grows up knowing she deserves to be treated with respect by boys. Sons also learn their first important lessons in life from their fathers.
b) Fathers must spend quality time their children- Children feel neglected when their fathers appear always too busy to have time for them. Spending time with your kids at sporting activities and on tours bring fathers closer to their children.
c) Fathers must respect their children’s mother- That is one of the best things a father can do for his children. Even if you are no longer married to your children’s mother, it is still important to respect and support the mother of your children. By so doing your children are more likely to feel that they are also accepted and respected.
d) Last but not the least; fathers must discipline their children with love!
Fathers need the unflinching support of their wives or mothers of their children in their role in parenting. Let the fathers be fathers!
- Why I will vote against Akufo-Addo even if he gives me free water and electricity for life
- Is Hawa Koomson’s act a confirmation that the NPP is the most violent political party in Ghana?
- In-depth analysis that shows that Akufo-Addo has won the 2020 elections
- Auditor General Vs The Presidency: Why both should be shown the exit
- Time to do away with retirees as Presidents; Amend the laws to allow the youth to contest
- What Prof. Jane Naana Opoku has in common with past running mates that should scare the NPP
- Why Nana Addo should be blamed for Carlos Ahenkorah’s recklessness
- NDC has erred: This is why preparing a manifesto without a running mate is a big blunder
- 4 Top Ignorant Politicians in Ghana [OPINION]
- Why one of these 3 would be John Mahama’s running mate
- Dr. Bawumia: The 21st Century Ghanaian Political Messiah?
- Why I blame Reverend Obofour for the death of Apraku My Daughter
- What if the advert that ‘has been vetted and approved by FDA’ hasn’t been vetted and approved by FDA?
- Digitisation: Are Ghanaians losing their jobs to robots?
- Do you know NCCE is still running adverts on the cancelled referendum? The teacher needs a teacher
- #SaveOurData campaign makes no sense; who is forcing you to live in East Legon when Lapaz is cheap?
- How democracy collapsed Ghana
- Ghanaian politicians, before you boast of efficiency, read this
- EKOWRITEs: HIV/AIDS, the ABC story
- Leader needs patience!
- Opinion: History of Trans Volta Togoland
- President Akufo-Addo was right; vote ‘Yes’ to elect your MMDCEs
- Is COP Nathan Kofi Boakye a policeman of integrity?
- Samson’s Take: Books win corruption fight in Ghana
- Female majority enrolment – University of Ghana shows the way
- The undisputed fact about our pregnant teenagers
- Western Togoland: Blame UK & UN, not Ghana
- Electing MMDCEs on political party tickets will embolden wanton abuse of political power at local levels
- President Akufo-Addo, the generations yet unborn are most grateful for protecting Ghana’s bauxite!
- The truth behind Ghanaian politics