On 24th July 2012, Ghana for the first time in its history lost its sitting President to death’s cruel manacles. The whole country was plunged into deep sorrow and bewilderment because even though the President’s ill health was trite knowledge, none could have predicted his decease at a time when he was lacing his boots to seek re-election in a few months.
As the constitution demands, his Vice President, John Dramani Mahama was sworn into office that evening as substantive President until the December general elections. The general spirits of Ghanaians worldwide was dampened by this shock. Even those in the opposition who were vociferous critics of his government could not help but shed tears on national television and radio to mourn Mills’ decease.
But shortly after his home call, many schools of thoughts and isms sprung up from different angles to suggest that circumstances surrounding Prof Mills’ death give evidence to the claim that his death was masterminded by some unseen hands and was adroitly executed.
It began circulating that on the morning of Mills’ last day, the security surveillance cameras at the seat of government strangely were not functioning. Also, it is said that on the way to 37 Military Hospital, there was no official escort to guide President Mills at the point of death. It is further said that Mills was carried in a normal pick-up vehicle with a cloth wrapped around him like an ordinary person through the traffic to the hospital.
All these exacerbated the fear and disgruntlement that already existed around the legitimacy of Prof Mills’ death. As the moments ensued, many Ghanaians led by the opposition NPP began to point fingers as President Mahama for having a hand in Mills’ mysterious death.
In response to these allegations, President Mahama at a durbar in Central Region happening to be Prof Mills’ place of origin pledged to the traditional rulers and people present to commission an investigation into his predecessor’s death to settle for the actual details and clear off all doubts.
This news, however, was greeted with mixed feelings across the country and birthed many schools of thought with one being that as a vice president then, he was present at the seat of government and so how could he watch on for a whole President of the land to be transported without state escort or even in an ambulance? A question we hope will soon be answered.
The matter generally went to quiet after the 2012 election and the famous petition. But once in a while, the opposition NPP used to revive the conversation of Television and Radio to remind Ghanaians that the promised investigation was never carried out and further promised to investigate Mills’ death if Ghanaians voted for them in the 2016 elections. Aside from this, Ghanaians requested for the postmortem report of President Mills and strangely, it was never made public.
A few weeks ago, this matter has been re-oxygenated and this time, it has a different twist. Tony Lithur, the legal advisor to Mr John Mahama officially reported Kwame Baffoe Abronye, the Bono Regional Chairman to the Criminal Investigative Department (CID) of the Ghana Police Service for making certain claims on a television program that his client Mr Mahama is masterminding the murder of Abronye himself and other top hierarchies of the NPP to create a state of insecurity in the country and foist the blame on the ruling Addo Dankwa-led government for political capital.
In response to the complaint, Mr Baffoe Abronye cross-petitioned the Police with evidence in phone call recordings and text messages that Mr Mahama has plans of taking his life. In further response, he said that on the television program, he stated categorically that Mr Mahama is the killer of Prof Mills and is surprised that Mr Mahama decided to consciously ignore that allegation in his official complaint to the Police.
He petitioned the CID with germane issues surrounding Prof Mills’ death; one demanding the whereabouts of one Col. Lante Lawson believed to be the personal bodyguard of Prof Mills. He claimed that since Mills’ demise, Col Lawson has not been seen and even failed to attend Mills’ funeral. He prayed the CID to invite Col Lawson and probe into Prof Mills’ death deeper.
The CID has invited Mr Baffoe Abronye to inquire more into his cross-petition and bring clarity to the issues. But Dela Coffie, an astute member and loyalist of the NDC has surprisingly petitioned President Akufo-Addo to institute a commission of enquiry to carefully probe into Prof Mills’ death and this has raised so many eyebrows, especially when it is coming from a member of the NDC of which Prof Mills was a flagbearer and leader for a long time.
In addition, recently suspended Former Central Regional Chairman of the NDC, Bernard Allotey Jacobs has congratulated Dela Coffie for petitioning the President and added that Prof Mills will be proud of him.
This has given more life to the brewing disquiet in the public domain. It is expected that the CID would expedite action and finally settle this long-lasting issue with the details of their investigation.
Political pundits have posited that it was defeating for President Mahama to report Mr Baffoe Abronye to the CID especially in an election year because it would put his name in a bad light and give the NPP latitude to discredit his person as a Presidential Candidate.
As Ghanaians, we all hope to settle for the details very soon.
- NPP and NDC’s achievements that are confusing voters in decision making
- Why President Nana Akufo-Addo will lose the 2020 General Elections to John Mahama easily
- Joyce Blessing’s Divorce saga and why Ghanaians think it’s a publicity stunt
- Is Sarkodie currently in Ghana?
- Election 2020: John Mahama or Nana Akufo-Addo?
- This is why Mahama is losing the 2020 elections
- Why John Mahama Would Win 2020 Elections
- Why one of these 3 would be John Mahama’s running mate
- John Mahama wrote his resignation before Mills died – Manasseh’s book reveals
- 7 times Nana Addo endorsed Mahama
- 7 times Nana Addo endorsed Mahama
- Why the NDC Should Not Present Mahama as Presidential Candidate Amidst Airbus Scandal
- Akufo-Addo and John Mahama shamed by international media
- Nana Akomea jabs Mahama at Manasseh’s book launch
- Mahama rejects PNC’s referendum ‘NO’ vote stance
- Edey bee k3k3’ actor laments ‘blacklist’ after support for Mahama in 2016
- I used 3 meetings to convince Mahama in 2005 to accept presidency – Bagbin
- 10 people Mahama will not choose as running mate for 2020 Poll
- Akufo-Addo has improved Ghanaians living standards – Rev Owusu Bempah
- Don’t impose your cultures on us – Mahama
- Mahama presents crucial report on Mozambique elections
- How dare you call Mahama a liar when your uncle misled us – Apaak jabs Gabby
- 2020 polls: Mahama’s Asutsuare training claims false – NPP
- AWW violence will be repeated on a larger scale in 2020 – Mahama
- I like John Mahama – Kennedy Agyapong confesses
- ‘Power drunk’ Mahama sponsoring ‘fake’ CSE document circulation – NPP’s Opoku Mensah
- Mahama challenges Otumfuo on 2016 election concession
- Nobody persuaded Mahama to concede defeat in 2016 – Julius Debrah
- The tale of the two ‘family & friends’, John Mahama vs Akufo-Addo
- I’ll restore confidence of Ghanaians in the banking system – Mahama promises