President Nana Akufo-Addo has called for rounded support for the newly elected Ghana Football Association (GFA) boss, Kurt Okraku.
The new football chief, according to the President “has earned the confidence and trust of the football fraternity, and his victory is well-deserved.”
In a post via his Twitter, Akufo-Addo called on all Ghanaians “to rally behind him [Okraku] in realising his vision for the growth and development of Ghana football.”
Akufo-Addo’s felicitations come after Mr. Okraku defeated five competitors on Friday to become only the second GFA President in 14 years.
I extend warm congratulations to Mr. Kurt E. S. Okraku on his election as the 24th President of the Ghana Football Association. He has earned the confidence and trust of the football fraternity, and his victory is well-deserved. 1/2
— Nana Akufo-Addo (@NAkufoAddo) October 25, 2019
He was confirmed as President with 93 of 120 votes after two rounds of voting failed to produce a clear winner.
His closest challenger, former Vice President of the FA, George Afriyie conceded defeat at the start of the third round of voting leaving delegates to affirm Okraku overwhelmingly.
“I am humbled for this opportunity to serve Ghana football. Today Kurt Okraku is not the winner, the winner is Ghana football,” he told delegates in at Ridge in Accra.
The Dreams FC Executive Chairman becomes the 24th President in GFA’s 62-year history.
The position was held by Kwesi Nyantakyi from 2005 until June 2018 when he resigned amid allegations of corruption and ethical violations.
A documentary by celebrated undercover journalist, Anas Aremeyaw Anas caught him on camera receiving sums of money.
Although, Mr. Nyantakyi denied any wrongdoing, nationwide pressure forced him to resign his post.
He also resigned as President of West African Football Union (WAFU), as Vice President of the Confederation of African Football (CAF) and from his position as Fifa Council member.
The world governing body later handed him a life ban from all football-related activities after investigating the allegations in Anas’s Number 12 documentary.
- You’ve earned the confidence and trust of the football fraternity – Akufo-Addo to Kurt Okraku
- Rally behind Kurt Okraku – Akufo-Addo to all
- Should everything be launched? The case of the launch of Ghana’s GHS600M stimulus package
- Government a strategic partner in football development – GFA President
- Akufo-Addo and his government want to remove ‘fearless’ Domelevo – Asiedu Nketia
- Akufo-Addo to cut sod on Sunday for the construction of Kumasi Film Village
- Akufo-Addo to use 2nd AFAG petition to order Domelevo to ‘step aside’ – NDC blows alarm
- Akufo-Addo gov’t, catholic bishops & CSOs in corruption war
- I won’t abandon Akufo-Addo’s projects like he’s done mine – Mahama
- Akufo-Addo personally supports NPP boys insults on his critics – A Plus alleges
- Afenyo Markin reveals how Akufo-Addo personally views Auditor General
- Government will be humiliated at referendum – Chamber of local governance
- Advise Akufo-Addo to withdraw referendum – Dan Botwe urged
- Kurt Okraku officially begins work as GFA President today
- Ghanaians yet to see no-nonsense leadership from Akufo-Addo – Serwaa Amihere
- Pathological liars, shame on you – Minority to Akufo-Addo, Ofori-Atta
- ‘Akufo-Addo’s ambulances’ to be distributed in 2020
- Ghana being ruled by ‘fools’ – Odike fumes
- Nepotism: I have more qualified relatives – Mahama fires Akufo-Addo
- Address issue of high interest rates – Akufo-Addo to BoG
- President cuts sod for railway projects in Volta Region
- Nana Asante Bediatuo’s mother, father, sister, brother in President’s family & friends
- Akufo-Addo the ‘most nepotistic leader in the world’ – NDC
- Mahama winning a second term will be punishment from God – Akufo-Addo
- Mahama has no record, policies to defend, only bankruptcy – Akufo-Addo
- Akufo-Addo travels with about 50 vehicles to the Volta Region
- Akufo-Addo begins two day tour of Volta Region today
- World Bank rejects government’s private audit report
- Mahama handed me an economy in dire straits – Akufo-Addo
- Security of Akufo-Addo, Ministers at risk – Islamic Cleric Shamuna warns