Remember when you said you wanted to move to Canada? Now is a good time to start packing your bags.
The Canadian Parliament has announced plans to add more than one million new permanent residents in the next three years. That’s nearly one percent of the country’s population each year.
Canada welcomed more than 286,000 permanent residents in 2017 and projects that number could reach 350,000 this year.
And 360,000 in 2020.
And 370,000 in 2021.
That’s a lot of immigrants, eh?
“Thanks in great part to the newcomers we have welcomed throughout our history, Canada has developed into the strong and vibrant country we all enjoy,” said Ahmed Hussen, Canada’s minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship (IRCC).
Hussen, himself an immigrant from Somalia, said the influx will help offset Canada’s aging population and declining birth rate while growing its labor force.
Canada’s friendly stance towards new residents comes as many other Western nations, including the United States, are adopting more restrictive immigration policies.
Canada is especially dedicated to offering protection to refugees. The United Nations Refugee Agency reported unprecedented levels of refugees in 2017, with the number of forcibly displaced people reaching 68.5 million.
IRCC has pledged $5.6 million to support global resettlement initiatives.
- World Cup 2026: Have fans from Africa been taken out from sporting activities?
- Ghana finalizes agreement with GERC for $2.2bn Eastern railway project
- Ethiopian Airlines crash: Mum sensed daughter’s death
- BREAKING NEWS: UK Bans Boeing 737 MAX 8 Aircraft From Its Airspace
- This is the Nigerian who died in the Ethiopian Airlines crash
- Ghanaians expected on crashed Ethiopian Airlines flight
- UPDATE: ‘No survivors’ on crashed Ethiopian Airline
- Ethiopian Airlines flight to Nairobi crashes
- Notable people who called for Catherine Afeku’s removal as Tourism Minister
- Catherine Afeku Removed as Minister For Tourism & Creative Arts
- Cape360 awarded at 2018 Central Region Tourism Awards; see full list of winners
- How to successfully apply for South Africa Visitor Visa from Ghana
- Nalerigu: What the capital of the newly created North East Region has for tourists
- Nigerians Travel To Ghana Just To See KIA Terminal 3
- YEAR OF RETURN: Aburi’s Regeneration Concert records impeccable performances in a marijuana-filled atmosphere
- YEAR OF RETURN: Aburi Botanical Gardens to host African Culture and Wellness Festival
- Uganda hints of Sex Tourism
- U.S ambassador summoned over high rate of visa denials
- Passport forms now free and available online
- Free WiFi on board Dubai taxis
- Ghana’s tourism promoted by Shatta Wale’s Reign album launch
- Ethiopia to give all Africans visa-on-arrival
- 10 incredible drone photography shots of Western Region that will give you serious wanderlust
- Kotoka Airport: Domestic airline operations moved to Terminal 2
- U.S DV Lottery 2020 opens for entries
- Melania Trump’s visit will boost tourism – Minister
- VIDEO: Watch the arrival of Emirates A380 at the Kotoka Airport Terminal 3
- 10 things you need to know about Airbus A380
- Emirates A380 lands in Accra (Photos)
- U.S. airport to allow marijuana in carry-ons