Military and police personnel have seized placards bearing anti-government messages from protesters in Navrongo during President Nana Akufo-Addo’s tour of the Upper East Region Wednesday.
Ahead of President Akufo-Addo’s visit to the Kasena Nankana Municipal Assembly, which is located few meters away from the former NDC constituency chairman’s residence, some NDC supporters lined-up the street with placards that summed up their issues with the President.
Messages such as “Mr. President, stop renaming and build your own”, “Mr President, we want dams not dugout”, Mr. President, where is our one million dollars?” and “NPP is a scam” were held by the protesters along the street to the assembly.
But the military and police officers were said to have been called in by the Defence Minister Dominic Nitiwul, to clear the protesters from the ground on the basis that those messages were against Nana Akufo-Addo and the government.
A video footage sighted by 3news.com showed some military officers forcefully taking the messages which were written on papers, from the protesters and tore them apart.
Some of the protesters were heard asking the officers whether Ghana was under military rule while asserting their democratic rights but the officers who appeared desperate would not budge.
“Are we in a military rule or what?” one man was heard saying in the video captured by one of the protesters.
Another angry man said, “You know what, we are now going to hoot at him [Nana Akufo-Addo”.
One of the protesters went into a shop in an apparent move to prevent the officers from seizing his placard was chased by the soldiers and forcibly took the placard in a confrontational manner.
Looking for TWO SURE? This group won the Friday and Saturday games. Click to join Whats-App group.
“This is more than a military rule; this is not democracy. Shame, shame!” a woman shouted.
Ironically, the military and the police officers have since Tuesday when the President began his tour, allowed some persons with praise-singing placards to line up the streets of areas he visited.
At Builsa South for instance, official photos released from the Presidency showed NABCO beneficiaries wielding nicely designed praise-singing placards for Nana Akufo-Addo, some of which read: “Thank you Nana for giving us jobs”, “Nana Addo, King of Employment”.
The NDC Deputy Communications Officer for Navrongo Central, Kelly Alagewe Babere, claimed the military and police officers acting under the instructions of Mr Nitiwul.
According to the NDC, some posters and banners of their aspirants in the upcoming primary were removed by members of the NPP prior to the President’s visit.
But aide to the Member of Parliament for the constituency, Clifford Achari, justified the action by the security personnel, explaining the placards were deemed to be “against the government and the president”.
He indicated that the protesters were first asked by the officers to either discard the placards or move away altogether, which they resisted forcing the officers to use force.
For him, the operation was successful and peaceful, contrary to an earlier narrative by some members of the NDC that the protesters were brutalized.
- Five times cocaine got missing in Ghana
- Should everything be launched? The case of the launch of Ghana’s GHS600M stimulus package
- Akufo-Addo and his government want to remove ‘fearless’ Domelevo – Asiedu Nketia
- Akufo-Addo to cut sod on Sunday for the construction of Kumasi Film Village
- Akufo-Addo to use 2nd AFAG petition to order Domelevo to ‘step aside’ – NDC blows alarm
- Akufo-Addo gov’t, catholic bishops & CSOs in corruption war
- I won’t abandon Akufo-Addo’s projects like he’s done mine – Mahama
- Akufo-Addo personally supports NPP boys insults on his critics – A Plus alleges
- Afenyo Markin reveals how Akufo-Addo personally views Auditor General
- Government will be humiliated at referendum – Chamber of local governance
- Advise Akufo-Addo to withdraw referendum – Dan Botwe urged
- Ghanaians yet to see no-nonsense leadership from Akufo-Addo – Serwaa Amihere
- Pathological liars, shame on you – Minority to Akufo-Addo, Ofori-Atta
- ‘Akufo-Addo’s ambulances’ to be distributed in 2020
- Ghana being ruled by ‘fools’ – Odike fumes
- Nepotism: I have more qualified relatives – Mahama fires Akufo-Addo
- Address issue of high interest rates – Akufo-Addo to BoG
- President cuts sod for railway projects in Volta Region
- Nana Asante Bediatuo’s mother, father, sister, brother in President’s family & friends
- Akufo-Addo the ‘most nepotistic leader in the world’ – NDC
- Mahama winning a second term will be punishment from God – Akufo-Addo
- Mahama has no record, policies to defend, only bankruptcy – Akufo-Addo
- Akufo-Addo travels with about 50 vehicles to the Volta Region
- Akufo-Addo begins two day tour of Volta Region today
- World Bank rejects government’s private audit report
- Mahama handed me an economy in dire straits – Akufo-Addo
- Security of Akufo-Addo, Ministers at risk – Islamic Cleric Shamuna warns
- More room for talks – Akufo-Addo on Nigeria border closure
- What’s wrong with Akufo-Addo sleeping at Russia-Africa summit – Annoh-Dompreh quizzes
- Sleeping at events not part of your promises – Akufo-Addo told