Ghana’s two main political parties the governing New Patriotic Party (NPP) and opposition National Democratic Congress (NDC) are expected to head back into a second round of talks to disband affiliated party militias.
The meeting supervised by the National Peace Council is expected to continue at the Peduase Valley Resort on Monday, the statement from the Council said.
The first meeting April 9 was at the Central Hotel near the British High Commission in Accra and focused on terms of engagement and ground rules for disbanding their militia group.
This round of talks is expected to iron-out the fine details of eradicating militia groups from the political parties.
The Peace Council mediated talks have been long-time coming after the President, Nana Akufo-Addo during his State of the Nation Address in Parliament last February urged the bi-partisan meeting following a bloody by-election in the Ayawaso West Wuogon constituency in January 2019.
It is believed militias on both rival parties, Invincible Forces, Kandahar Boys for the NPP and Hawks for the NDC, clashed during the bloody Ayawaso West Wuogon by-elections held January 31, 2019.
But actualising the President’s call has been bogged down by characteristic disagreements between the parties. The NDC wanted a mediator for the talks which was initially rejected by the NPP.
The NDC would later express disappointment that the invitation letter from the NPP when it came did not have a date and venue.
The NPP explained, it was to offer an opportunity for the main opposition to contribute to setting the agenda.
The Akufo-Addo government has been plagued by activities of several pro-NPP vigilante groups like Delta Force based in the Ashanti region, Kandahar Boys based in the Northern region and the Invincible Forces based in the capital, Accra.
To match the NPP, some leaders in the NDC have formed ‘The Hawks’ in the Ashanti region, ‘The Dragons’ based in the Bono Ahafo region and ‘The Lions’ based in the Eastern region.
- NPP and NDC’s achievements that are confusing voters in decision making
- NDC rejects Regional Minister’s sugar, NPP does same to Adongo’s sugar
- NPP planning to sacrifice 3 kidnapped T’di girls for rituals in 2020 polls – NDC alleges
- 7 times Nana Addo endorsed Mahama
- Reverend Owusu Bempah Is A Biased Prophet – John Mahama
- NPP/NDC Politics Has Taken Over My Church – Duncan Williams Laments
- NPP MP’s Sleeping With NDC Women – Haruna Iddrisu Reveals
- Afia Schwarzenegger Suggests Akua Donkor Should Be Caged Like A Monkey
- VIDEO: John Mahama Will Lose 2020 Elections Just Like Nigeria’s Atiku – Owusu Bempah Predicts
- BREAKING: Kennedy Agyapong Releases Audio Of NDC’s Plan To Kill Dr Bawumia – AUDIO
- VIDEO: President Akufo-Addo Is A Disappointment To Ghana – Kumawood Actor
- Rawlings Attacks Kufuor Again – Here Is What He Said
- Ayawaso By-Election: NDC’s Ishau Yaro To Lose His Leg From Gun Wounds
- PHOTOS: NDC And Other Opposition Parties Demonstrate Against Nana Addo’s Government
- VIDEO: Minority In Parliament Tags Late Agyarko’s Wife As “Bloody Widow”
- Mahama Vows Never To Apologise For “Boot For Boot” Comment
- I Regret Endorsing NDC – Mzbel Cries Out
- VIDEO: NPP’s Nana B Slaps NDC’s Sammy Gyamfi During A Live Studio Discussion In The Studio Of Asempa FM
- Ayawaso By-Election: John Mahama Visits Victims Of Gun Attack – PHOTOS
- Ayawaso By-Election: Late Agyarko’s Wife In A Comfortable Lead
- Ayawaso By-Election: Let’s Come Together And Kick Out NPP And NDC In 2020 – A-Plus To Ghanaian Youths
- Ayawaso By-Election: NDC MP, Sam George Receives Several Slaps From NPP’s Invincible Forces – VIDEO
- Ayawaso By-Election: Actor John Dumelo Attacked By Masked Gunmen? – VIDEO
- Ayawaso By-Election: NDC Withdraws Following Shooting Incident
- Ayawaso by-Election: Gunshots Fired At Bawaleshie Presby polling station Injuring 3 People
- VIDEO: “Foolish Journalism” – Yvonne Nelson Insults Ghanaian Journalists For Twisting Her Words
- VIDEO: Actress Yvonne Nelson regrets organising “Dumsor Vigil” Against the NDC?
- Menzgold saga: NAM1 will never be prosecuted in Dubai – Ibrah One reveals
- Menzgold saga: NDC denies issuing diplomatic passport to NAM1
- 7 Celebrities offered appointment under President Nana Addo