President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo has said the Minority Chief Whip and Member of Parliament(MP) for the Asawase Constituency, Mohammed Mubarak Muntaka has lost his substance to continue serving as a legislator and so must be replaced, MyNewsGh.com reports.
The president was addressing a gathering of Zongo chiefs and a section of the people of Asawase on the second day of his tour of the Ashanti region when he made the remarks.
“I know it’s not yet time to campaign for the upcoming elections but you benefit more if you start the work early” he said.
The president further told the gathering that, “Muntaka has stayed too long in the Parliament House; he has nothing new to do there so allow another person to also go there and try so that we can realise the development that we want”; the crowd responded with loud cheers.
The President’s comments are, however, a deviation from the initiative of the Ministry of Parliamentary Affairs, in which the minister, Osei Kyei Mensah Bonsu has been working with civil society to get the high attrition rate in Ghana’s Parliament in check.
Osei Kyei Mensah Bonsu the Member of Parliament(MP) for Suame, who would be seeking a seventh term believes that, “Parliament is as strong as its members make it”, and describes the high attrition rate as “a shameful blot on Ghana’s political system”, calling on political parties to protect sitting MPs from losing their seats to new entrants.
Some of his constituents are however calling for his replacement; they say there is not much to show for, for the 24 years that he would be representing them in Parliament.
Our checks, however, indicate that, the New Patriotic Party (NPP) would let him stand unopposed in the upcoming primaries.
There are other MPs on the ticket of the NPP serving currently in Parliament who are seniors to Muntaka Mubarak but are likely to seek reelection in 2020.
Adansi Asokwa MP, Kobina Tahir Hammond and Assin Central MP, Kennedy Ohebe Agyapong both entered the house in 2000; five years before Muntaka.
Mohammed Muntaka Mubarak entered Parliament in 2005 after winning a bye-election to replace the late Dr Gibril Adamu Mohammed.
Barring any changes, he would be facing off with Alidu Seidu, the Municipal Chief Executive (MCE) of Asokore Mampong for the second time.
Both men were chosen by their respective parties by popular acclamation to contend for the Asawase seat in the 2020 parliamentary elections.
Nana Akufo Addo also advised the youth of Asawase to be submissive to authority and listen to advice from the elderly so that there would lasting peace and development in the Asawase area.
- Should everything be launched? The case of the launch of Ghana’s GHS600M stimulus package
- Akufo-Addo and his government want to remove ‘fearless’ Domelevo – Asiedu Nketia
- Akufo-Addo to cut sod on Sunday for the construction of Kumasi Film Village
- Akufo-Addo to use 2nd AFAG petition to order Domelevo to ‘step aside’ – NDC blows alarm
- Akufo-Addo gov’t, catholic bishops & CSOs in corruption war
- I won’t abandon Akufo-Addo’s projects like he’s done mine – Mahama
- Akufo-Addo personally supports NPP boys insults on his critics – A Plus alleges
- Afenyo Markin reveals how Akufo-Addo personally views Auditor General
- Government will be humiliated at referendum – Chamber of local governance
- Advise Akufo-Addo to withdraw referendum – Dan Botwe urged
- Ghanaians yet to see no-nonsense leadership from Akufo-Addo – Serwaa Amihere
- Pathological liars, shame on you – Minority to Akufo-Addo, Ofori-Atta
- ‘Akufo-Addo’s ambulances’ to be distributed in 2020
- Ghana being ruled by ‘fools’ – Odike fumes
- Nepotism: I have more qualified relatives – Mahama fires Akufo-Addo
- Address issue of high interest rates – Akufo-Addo to BoG
- President cuts sod for railway projects in Volta Region
- Nana Asante Bediatuo’s mother, father, sister, brother in President’s family & friends
- Akufo-Addo the ‘most nepotistic leader in the world’ – NDC
- Mahama winning a second term will be punishment from God – Akufo-Addo
- Mahama has no record, policies to defend, only bankruptcy – Akufo-Addo
- Akufo-Addo travels with about 50 vehicles to the Volta Region
- Akufo-Addo begins two day tour of Volta Region today
- World Bank rejects government’s private audit report
- Mahama handed me an economy in dire straits – Akufo-Addo
- Security of Akufo-Addo, Ministers at risk – Islamic Cleric Shamuna warns
- More room for talks – Akufo-Addo on Nigeria border closure
- What’s wrong with Akufo-Addo sleeping at Russia-Africa summit – Annoh-Dompreh quizzes
- Sleeping at events not part of your promises – Akufo-Addo told
- Mahama commends Akufo-Addo for completing Adaklu SHS