President Nana Akufo-Addo has announced government will gift IBF lightweight world champion, Richard Commey a brand new Toyota vehicle for the honour he brought to the nation with his recent win over Russian boxer Isa Chaniev.
In addition to the vehicle, Commey will receive 50,000 cedis from the presidency, Nana Akufo-Addo promised the boxer when he paid a courtesy call on him at Jubilee House in Accra Monday to present his championship belt to him.
Commey on February 2 this year made his second crack at the vacant IBF lightweight title count by claiming his first world title with a second-round stoppage of Isa Chaniev.
“In terms of this achievement, it may not be very much but there’s little that we can do; they’re [the government] gonna buy you a car… The office of the president is also adding 50,000 cedis to it,” Nana Akufo-Addo announced.
The president described gift as “a small token” from his government “for the honour you’ve brought to our nation,” and asked him to “keep it up”.
Nana Akufo-Addo said he was arranging for the vehicle from the Ministry of Sports to be delivered to the boxer, promising that the government will do its bit in supporting boxing in the country.
He said he and the rest of the about 30 million Ghanaians will keenly be following his exploits, hence urged him to always bear that in mind whenever and wherever he fights.
I’m ‘basking in your glory’
President Akufo-Addo commended Commey for the courtesy call, which he said has enabled him to bask in the glory.
“I’m happy that you’ve had the honour of visiting us here; coming to show off the belt and giving us all the opportunity to bask in your glory. Yes, because they will say it was when I was president that we had at least two more champions in succession and God willing there will be more,” Akufo-Addo told the boxer.
Earlier, the boxer appealed to the government to support boxers in ensuring effective transparency in their boxing contractual deal to promote fairness.
Nana Akufo-Addo assured the boxer government will readily look into his appeal and promises government commitment to support boxing.
- Richard Commey Receives Toyota And Ghc50,000 From Nana Addo For Winning IBF World Title
- 4 times Akufo-Addo and his government plagiarized to show lack of original ideas
- 6 top officials Akufo-Addo has fired from office who are likely to join the NDC
- NPP and NDC’s achievements that are confusing voters in decision making
- Election 2020: John Mahama or Nana Akufo-Addo?
- Why President Nana Akufo-Addo will lose the 2020 General Elections to John Mahama easily
- Why Akufo-Addo’s GHS600M stimulus package is a hoax aimed at scoring political points
- 5 top reasons why Akufo Addo will lift the ban on social gathering in his next coronavirus address
- English Premier League Betting Guide – Tips & Advice
- My wife urged me to take the Richard Commey bout – Teofimo Lopez
- The jokes which got Akufo-Addo laughing
- Where are the dams, factories you promised Navrongo and Paga? – NDC asks Akufo-Addo
- Special Competition: Karela United Whip Hearts Of Oak
- Special Competition: Eleven Wonders 0-3 Asante Kotoko – Porcupine Warriors return to winning ways
- Atletico Madrid places €80 million as Thomas Partey’s price tag
- I won’t naturalize for Russia – Kadri Mohammed pledges his allegiance to Ghana
- Barca coach disappointed in Kevin Boateng’s attitude to training
- Ghana can win 2019 AFCON without me – Gyan
- Bring back Muntari, KP Boateng – Alhaji Grusah
- Real Madrid consider shock move for Thomas Partey
- Sheep disrupt Liberty Prof. vrs Dwarfs game
- AFCON 2019: Egyptian Embassy To Assist Ghanaian Fans Ahead Of Tournament
- Inter star Kwadwo Asamoah delighted by ‘important’ win against Genoa
- Special Competition matchday 2 wrap: Sharks shoot down Hearts as Liberty humiliate Dwarfs
- Ghana moves three places up in latest FIFA rankings
- Team Dogboe cautions US Embassy
- Evans Mensah climbs from bench to grab brace as HJK Helsinki start Finnish League with victory
- Ghana defender Nicholas Opoku impresses as Udinese hold AC Milan in serie A
- Majeed Waris recovers from injury, travels with Nantes side to face PSG in French Cup
- Columbus Crew ace Harrison Afful suffers broken jawn 100th MLS cap; ruled out for SIX weeks