President Nana Akufo-Addo has announced government will gift IBF lightweight world champion, Richard Commey a brand new Toyota vehicle for the honour he brought to the nation with his recent win over Russian boxer Isa Chaniev.
In addition to the vehicle, Commey will receive 50,000 cedis from the presidency, Nana Akufo-Addo promised the boxer when he paid a courtesy call on him at Jubilee House in Accra Monday to present his championship belt to him.
Commey on February 2 this year made his second crack at the vacant IBF lightweight title count by claiming his first world title with a second-round stoppage of Isa Chaniev.
“In terms of this achievement, it may not be very much but there’s little that we can do; they’re [the government] gonna buy you a car… The office of the president is also adding 50,000 cedis to it,” Nana Akufo-Addo announced.
The president described gift as “a small token” from his government “for the honour you’ve brought to our nation,” and asked him to “keep it up”.
Nana Akufo-Addo said he was arranging for the vehicle from the Ministry of Sports to be delivered to the boxer, promising that the government will do its bit in supporting boxing in the country.
He said he and the rest of the about 30 million Ghanaians will keenly be following his exploits, hence urged him to always bear that in mind whenever and wherever he fights.
I’m ‘basking in your glory’
President Akufo-Addo commended Commey for the courtesy call, which he said has enabled him to bask in the glory.
“I’m happy that you’ve had the honour of visiting us here; coming to show off the belt and giving us all the opportunity to bask in your glory. Yes, because they will say it was when I was president that we had at least two more champions in succession and God willing there will be more,” Akufo-Addo told the boxer.
Earlier, the boxer appealed to the government to support boxers in ensuring effective transparency in their boxing contractual deal to promote fairness.
Nana Akufo-Addo assured the boxer government will readily look into his appeal and promises government commitment to support boxing.
- Richard Commey Receives Toyota And Ghc50,000 From Nana Addo For Winning IBF World Title
- 4 times Akufo-Addo and his government plagiarized to show lack of original ideas
- 6 top officials Akufo-Addo has fired from office who are likely to join the NDC
- NPP and NDC’s achievements that are confusing voters in decision making
- Election 2020: John Mahama or Nana Akufo-Addo?
- Why President Nana Akufo-Addo will lose the 2020 General Elections to John Mahama easily
- Why Akufo-Addo’s GHS600M stimulus package is a hoax aimed at scoring political points
- 5 top reasons why Akufo Addo will lift the ban on social gathering in his next coronavirus address
- My wife urged me to take the Richard Commey bout – Teofimo Lopez
- The jokes which got Akufo-Addo laughing
- Where are the dams, factories you promised Navrongo and Paga? – NDC asks Akufo-Addo
- PHOTO: John Dumelo And Kwame A-Plus; The Two Smart Men In Ghana?
- Hon. Barbara Oteng Gyasi Assigned As Minister For Tourism, Culture And Creative Arts By President Akufo-Addo
- VIDEO: Anas Releases Full Video Of Latest Exposé On Galamsey
- VIDEO: President Akufo-Addo Is A Disappointment To Ghana – Kumawood Actor
- Prophet Badu Kobi Threatens President Akufo-Addo?
- PHOTOS: Actor Bill Asamoah Gets Appointment As Tourism Ambassador For Ghana
- Most Ghanaian Pastors Sleep With People’s Wives – Lawyer Maurice Ampaw Reveals
- Ghanaian Boxer, Richard Commey Knocks Out Isa Chaniev To Win World Title
- Ahmed’s Death: I Have No Trust In Ghana Police; I’m Doing My Own Investigations – Kennedy Agyapong
- Thinking of marrying NPP man? Asiedu Nketia has an advice for you
- Menzgold saga: President Akufo-Addo wanted to appoint NAM1 as Minister for Business Development
- Nana Appiah Mensah’s arrest warrant fake – Asiedu Nketia reveals
- Ghana’s next president after Akufo-Addo will be Shatta Wale – Prophet Kumchacha predicts
- Menzgold saga: ‘Did you enjoy your profits with Akufo-Addo’? – Ken Agyapong questions Ghc760k Menzgold customer
- Kofi Amoabeng and other failed banks’ directors to be ‘jailed’ – President Nana Addo declares
- 2018 Wrap up: 6 corruption scandals recorded under Akufo-Addo’s ‘incorruptible’ Government
- Akufo-Addo’s 998 staffers working at midnight to keep Ghana running – Chief of Staff
- VIDEO: Boakye Agyarko And Akufo-Addo ‘Shuns’ Each Other At Agyarko’s One Week Celebration
- Kennedy Agyapong’s Account Of How Kyeremanteng Agyarko Died