Under-fire Black Stars coach, James Kwasi Appiah, has been summoned to an emergency meeting at the Jubilee House over the sudden resignation of the captain of the senior national team, Asamoah Gyan, on Monday afternoon.
Gyan stirred controversy by announcing his unceremonious retirement from the Black Stars via Twitter on Monday at a time Ghanaians were eagerly waiting the announcement of a provisional squad for a training camp in Abu Dhabi on June 1.
According to Graphic Sports Online investigations, Gyan decided to retire from the Black Stars entirely when Coach Appiah communicated his decision to him to make him the general captain of the team.
Looking for TWO SURE? This group won the Friday and Saturday games. Click to join Whats-App group.
Inside sources revealed that the coach had opted to make Andre Dede Ayew the new captain to lead Ghana to the AFCON 2019 tournament in Egypt next month.
However, Gyan, who is the most successful player and top scorer in the current Stars set-up might felt slighted by the decision which came barely a month to the tournament.
The brouhaha which followed Gyan’s retirement has compelled the Ghana Football Association (GFA) to hold on with the announcement of the provisional list until the outcome of this morning’s meeting at the presidency.
It will be recalled that President Nana Akufo-Addo called Gyan and Dede to a meeting at the presidency last year in a bid to reconcile them as part of plans to win AFCON 2019 after a 37-year wait.
- Should everything be launched? The case of the launch of Ghana’s GHS600M stimulus package
- Akufo-Addo and his government want to remove ‘fearless’ Domelevo – Asiedu Nketia
- Akufo-Addo to cut sod on Sunday for the construction of Kumasi Film Village
- Akufo-Addo to use 2nd AFAG petition to order Domelevo to ‘step aside’ – NDC blows alarm
- Akufo-Addo gov’t, catholic bishops & CSOs in corruption war
- I won’t abandon Akufo-Addo’s projects like he’s done mine – Mahama
- Akufo-Addo personally supports NPP boys insults on his critics – A Plus alleges
- Afenyo Markin reveals how Akufo-Addo personally views Auditor General
- Government will be humiliated at referendum – Chamber of local governance
- Advise Akufo-Addo to withdraw referendum – Dan Botwe urged
- He is not good enough’ – Alhaji Grusah’s verdict on Kwasi Appiah
- AFCON Qualifiers: Kwasi Appiah sheds light on game plan in South Africa win
- Kwesi Appiah defends decision to play Alfred Duncan on left wing against South Africa
- Ghanaians yet to see no-nonsense leadership from Akufo-Addo – Serwaa Amihere
- Pathological liars, shame on you – Minority to Akufo-Addo, Ofori-Atta
- ‘Akufo-Addo’s ambulances’ to be distributed in 2020
- Ghana being ruled by ‘fools’ – Odike fumes
- Nepotism: I have more qualified relatives – Mahama fires Akufo-Addo
- Address issue of high interest rates – Akufo-Addo to BoG
- President cuts sod for railway projects in Volta Region
- Nana Asante Bediatuo’s mother, father, sister, brother in President’s family & friends
- Akufo-Addo the ‘most nepotistic leader in the world’ – NDC
- Mahama winning a second term will be punishment from God – Akufo-Addo
- Mahama has no record, policies to defend, only bankruptcy – Akufo-Addo
- Akufo-Addo travels with about 50 vehicles to the Volta Region
- Akufo-Addo begins two day tour of Volta Region today
- World Bank rejects government’s private audit report
- Mahama handed me an economy in dire straits – Akufo-Addo
- Security of Akufo-Addo, Ministers at risk – Islamic Cleric Shamuna warns
- 2021 AFCON qualifiers: Kwesi Appiah drops Asamoah Gyan, three others for South Africa game