Modernghana.com can confirm that former Black Stars skipper Stephen Appiah’s commemorative football gala has been cancelled as he lost his mother on Saturday, December, 22.
The mother of the football great, Madam Comfort Afua Aidoo died at the age of 73 years on Saturday afternoon.
Appiah has thus cancelled the gala which would have drawn a galaxy of former Ghanaian internationals and active players to the Wembley Park at Kotobabi, Accra.
Stephen Appiah told Daily Graphic last week Monday the event was to bring together his friends, playmates and other Ghanaian players to celebrate his birthday on the pitch and have some fun afterwards.
Looking for TWO SURE? This group won the Friday and Saturday games. Click to join Whats-App group.
“Today is my birthday and I should be celebrating but instead I’m mourning. Mourning the very person who gives me so much love and joy. For I always see 24th December as a day to celebrate you instead of me because you made it possible.
“This day was never complete without me showing you how much I love and appreciate all you have done for me. There was no birthday without the kiss on your cheeks.
“Why you chose to leave me the same week I celebrate my birthday is what I’m struggling to understand,” the heartbroken football great said in a post on his Instagram.
The tournament, which is being organised by Nuru Bremansu, was to mark the birthday of Appiah which falls on December 24.
Read Stephen’s emotional message on Instagram below.
- Prestigious Address: Ghanaian celebrities who have moved to East Legon
- WILD PHOTOS: Ghanaian celebrities obsessed with cars
- BE INSPIRED: Rich Ghanaian celebrities who grew up in the ghetto
- Why Ghana are not a force in international football – Stephen Appiah
- GFA Elections: Former players’ll get involved soon – Appiah
- Transition of players from junior teams bane of Black Stars – Appiah
- Stephen Appiah is the father of Vanessa Gyan’s child – An Insider alleges
- PHOTOS: Black Stars player, Jonathan Mensah marries longtime girlfriend