It was President Akufo-Addo’s decision to terminate the Power Distribution Services deal according to the Managing Editor of the New Crusading Guide newspaper, Kweku Baako Jnr.
According to him, some members of the ruling government were not happy with the President’s decision because they feared termination will come with some consequences; nonetheless, he decided to put the interest of Ghanaians first.
“Within the government, it’s not everybody who was enthused about the option of termination because of the implications for the Ghanaian economy. Some thought Mr President let’s compromise; they felt a different option should have been pursued . . . ,” he disclosed while contributing to a panel discussion on Peace FM’s morning show ‘Kokrokoo’.
According to him, some of these kingpins, “had an eye on 2020; (they felt) there might be an economic challenge prior to the election. The leader of this administration who is the President said no; if that is the consequences let it be so; he doesn’t believe the good people will refuse or fail to see other positive indicators. So this decision to terminate was driven by the President himself against the wishes of some of his colleagues.”
The government of Ghana has terminated its concession deal with Power Distribution Services Limited regarding the distribution of electricity in Ghana.
Looking for TWO SURE? This group won the Friday and Saturday games. Click to join Whats-App group.
A letter dated 18th October, 2019 signed by Finance Minister Ken Ofori-Atta said: “Following consultations with Government, we wish to emphasize that Government remains strongly committed to the Compact and to private sector participation in the Electricity Company of Ghana.”
“Secondly, the facts detailed below clearly justify the discontinuance of the current concession which, it should once again be emphasized, does not in any way diminish the Government of Ghana’s commitment to private sector participation in Ghana’s energy sector. Indeed, Government intends to see this PSP through in a manner that respects due process and fidelity to the relevant transaction documents and underlying Compact,” the letter said.
ECG Officially Takes Over From PDS
The Electricity Company of Ghana (ECG) has officially taken over power distribution from the Power Distribution Services (PDS).
A statement dated 23rd October, 2019 indicated that ECG has assumed full operational and financial control which was being managed by the PDS.
This comes after government’s termination of its concession agreement with Power Distribution Services (PDS) on claims of fraud.
Watch the video below.
- ECG officially takes over from PDS
- Akufo-Addo’s government ‘sucks’ at communication – Kweku Baako
- PDS/ECG agreement: MiDA report exposes PDS
- Insider vows to reveal more on rotten PDS deal
- The names behind PDS revealed and how they won the ECG concession agreement
- ECG is back as government suspends PDS agreement
- Why government suspended PDS
- We don’t owe you, go to ECG – PDS to Independent Power Producers
- PHOTO: PDS Staff Slashed With Cutlass Over Dumsor At Kokrobite
- Can Kennedy Agyapong swallow his pride and apologise to Kweku Baako as the court has ordered?
- Should everything be launched? The case of the launch of Ghana’s GHS600M stimulus package
- Stop ranting and have my support – Baako assures embattled Auditor General
- Akufo-Addo and his government want to remove ‘fearless’ Domelevo – Asiedu Nketia
- Akufo-Addo to cut sod on Sunday for the construction of Kumasi Film Village
- Akufo-Addo to use 2nd AFAG petition to order Domelevo to ‘step aside’ – NDC blows alarm
- Akufo-Addo gov’t, catholic bishops & CSOs in corruption war
- I won’t abandon Akufo-Addo’s projects like he’s done mine – Mahama
- Akufo-Addo personally supports NPP boys insults on his critics – A Plus alleges
- Afenyo Markin reveals how Akufo-Addo personally views Auditor General
- Government will be humiliated at referendum – Chamber of local governance
- Advise Akufo-Addo to withdraw referendum – Dan Botwe urged
- Ghanaians yet to see no-nonsense leadership from Akufo-Addo – Serwaa Amihere
- Pathological liars, shame on you – Minority to Akufo-Addo, Ofori-Atta
- ‘Akufo-Addo’s ambulances’ to be distributed in 2020
- Ghana being ruled by ‘fools’ – Odike fumes
- Nepotism: I have more qualified relatives – Mahama fires Akufo-Addo
- Address issue of high interest rates – Akufo-Addo to BoG
- Alajo ‘coup plotters’ have a huge hurdle to cross – Baako
- ACP Agordzo is bold and I like him – Kweku Baako Jnr
- President cuts sod for railway projects in Volta Region