President Nana Akufo-Addo has hinted that, Ghana’s youngest Member of Parliament (MP), Hon. Francisca Oteng Mensah would be made to stand unopposed in the upcoming parliamentary primaries of the ruling New Patriotic Party (NPP), MyNewsGh.com reports.
The President made the pronouncement when he addressed a durbar of the chiefs and people of the Kwabre East Municipality of the Ashanti region at the palace of Mampontenghene, Barima Saasi Ayeboafo II on Thursday October 10, 2019.
His recommendation followed an appeal by the Mampontenghene for him to adopt the twenty-six-year-old legislator as his own daughter, in his concluding remarks in his address to President Akufo Addo and his entourage.
The President had paid a courtesy call on the Mampontenghene and the other chiefs and people of the Kwabre East Municipality; he also cut sod for the construction of 5.5 km of Mamponteng town roads.
“Finally, I appeal to you for Francisca, our daughter, she is young; we have given her to you, so take care of her”, Mampontenghene told the President.
In his response, President Akufo Addo told the thousands of people and chiefs gathered at the function that, he would personally make sure The Kwabre East MP appears on the ballot paper once again in the 2020 parliamentary elections and go on to elevate her if his government wins a second term.
“I have taken your call for me to adopt her in good fate and I do not take it lightly at all; in the coming elections, she must be upheld again and if God blesses my administration with a second term, Nana, you will see how I would elevate her in your honour” the President assured the chief and his subjects.
The governing New Patriotic Party (NPP) obtained its highest number of their votes yet, from the Kwabre East Constituency in the 2016 general elections.
President Nana Akufo Addo, who was then candidate, garnered a record 71,112 votes representing 81.77% of valid votes cast; Francisca Oteng Mensah, who was then only twenty-three years old and a level 300 student at the Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology (KNUST) got 71,757 votes representing 83.03% of valid votes cast, to become member of parliament ahead of four other contenders.
She has since her entry into Parliament, being a staunch advocate for gender equality, girl education and youth empowerment.
- Should everything be launched? The case of the launch of Ghana’s GHS600M stimulus package
- Akufo-Addo and his government want to remove ‘fearless’ Domelevo – Asiedu Nketia
- Akufo-Addo to cut sod on Sunday for the construction of Kumasi Film Village
- Akufo-Addo to use 2nd AFAG petition to order Domelevo to ‘step aside’ – NDC blows alarm
- Akufo-Addo gov’t, catholic bishops & CSOs in corruption war
- I won’t abandon Akufo-Addo’s projects like he’s done mine – Mahama
- Akufo-Addo personally supports NPP boys insults on his critics – A Plus alleges
- Afenyo Markin reveals how Akufo-Addo personally views Auditor General
- Government will be humiliated at referendum – Chamber of local governance
- Advise Akufo-Addo to withdraw referendum – Dan Botwe urged
- Ghanaians yet to see no-nonsense leadership from Akufo-Addo – Serwaa Amihere
- Pathological liars, shame on you – Minority to Akufo-Addo, Ofori-Atta
- ‘Akufo-Addo’s ambulances’ to be distributed in 2020
- Ghana being ruled by ‘fools’ – Odike fumes
- Nepotism: I have more qualified relatives – Mahama fires Akufo-Addo
- Address issue of high interest rates – Akufo-Addo to BoG
- President cuts sod for railway projects in Volta Region
- Nana Asante Bediatuo’s mother, father, sister, brother in President’s family & friends
- Akufo-Addo the ‘most nepotistic leader in the world’ – NDC
- Mahama winning a second term will be punishment from God – Akufo-Addo
- Mahama has no record, policies to defend, only bankruptcy – Akufo-Addo
- Akufo-Addo travels with about 50 vehicles to the Volta Region
- Akufo-Addo begins two day tour of Volta Region today
- World Bank rejects government’s private audit report
- Mahama handed me an economy in dire straits – Akufo-Addo
- Security of Akufo-Addo, Ministers at risk – Islamic Cleric Shamuna warns
- More room for talks – Akufo-Addo on Nigeria border closure
- What’s wrong with Akufo-Addo sleeping at Russia-Africa summit – Annoh-Dompreh quizzes
- Sleeping at events not part of your promises – Akufo-Addo told
- Mahama commends Akufo-Addo for completing Adaklu SHS