Nigeria’s presidential and national assembly elections have been delayed by one week and will now take place on Saturday, February 23, authorities said.
“Following a careful review of the implementation of the logistics and operational plan, and the determination to conduct free, fair and credible elections, the commission came to the conclusion that proceeding with the election as scheduled is no longer feasible,” the chairman of Nigeria’s Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), Mahmood Yakubu, said at a news conference early Saturday local time.
“This was a difficult decision for the commission to take, but necessary for the successful delivery of elections and the consolidation of our democracy,” he said.
Polls were due to open at 2 a.m. ET Saturday, February 16.
Elections for governorships, state House of Assembly and area councils are on hold until March 9, the INEC said.
Looking for TWO SURE? This group won the Friday and Saturday games. Click to join Whats-App group.
The lead-up to the elections has been marked by violence, prompting warnings from the British and US governments to say they would deny visas and likely prosecute those found inciting violence during the vote.
Two Nigerian electoral commission offices housing voting materials were burned down within the space of a week.
In the presidential election, Muhammadu Buhari, 76, of the All Progressives Congress party, known as the APC, is standing for re-election. He will be running against 71 other presidential candidates.
His main challenger is Atiku Abubakar, 72, of the People’s Democratic Party, or PDP. He is a business tycoon and former vice president.
The vote comes at a critical time for the country’s economy, a lynchpin of the region. The recent oil price crash sent Nigeria’s economy into turmoil when the price of a barrel plunged to $40 at its lowest from a high of $100, leaving the country’s major revenue source depleted.
An estimated 87 million Nigerians now live in poverty, the highest number of impoverished people in the world, according to The Brookings Institution.
- NIGERIA ELECTIONS: Atiku Defeats Buhari In Presidential Villa Polling Unit
- NIGERIA ELECTIONS: Vote Counting Underway
- VIDEOS: Nigerian Aircraft Overloaded With Too Much Cash Collapses
- Nigeria election: Election office burnt down six days before polls
- PHOTO: 5 Men increase customer’s balance from $2,000 to $1.2 million after hacking into a Nigerian bank
- Actor, Yul Edochie, Weighs In On The Tattoo Saga, Says Celebrities Whose Fans Tattoo Them On Their Body Are Truely Blessed
- ‘Enjoy Your Drama In Peace And Leave Me Out Of It’ – Nkechi Blessing Issues A Strong Warning To Bobrisky
- ”Be Very Careful When Choosing A Role Model” – TBoss Warns Netizens Look Up To Ka3na
- Regina Daniels Savagely Replies A Troll Who Said She Shares Pictures Anyhow
- Photo: Davido Accepts To Negotiate A Collaboration Between Bobby Shmurda And Bella Shmurda
- “I’m A Clout Who Pulls Attention Like The Radio And Television” – Blessing Okoro
- Regina Daniels Sparks Reactions With Her Expensive Wine Coloured Sneakers
- Toke Makinwa Reveals Why Women Do Cosmetic Surgery
- Rejected Fan Who Tattooed Ka3na On Her Body Lands In Hospital After Allegedly Taking Poison (Video)
- Big Win For Burna Boy As He Features In Pepsi Global Ad With Messi And Paul Pogba
- Simi Announces The Release Of Her New Album Soon
- Tattoo Saga: “Know The Difference Between Bosslady And Buslady” – Tboss Shades Ka3na
- “A Smile Is The Best Makeup A Lady Can Wear”- BBNaija Star, Vee
- This Beauty Is Unmatched, Nengi Storms Internet With These Adorable Photos
- Tunde Ednut Makes Another Grand Entry Back To Instagram; Finally Accepts He Is A Blogger
- ‘This Is Madness’ – Nigerians React As Blessing Okoro Tattoos Denrele Edun’s Name On Her Arm
- Davido Visits Where He Used To Live When He Was Broke
- ‘Please Stop Lying’ – Nigerians React As Davido Visits Where He Used To Live When He Was Broke
- “For Better For Worse”- Zlatan Says As He Tattoos His Baby Mama’s Name On His Body
- BBNaija’s Erica Reacts After Beyonce Gifts SA Comedian, Elsa Majimbo Ivy Park Box
- ”God Can Change Your Life In A Second”- Regina Daniels Motivational Message To Her Fans
- BBNaija’s Tolanibaj Hints On Plans To Visit Ghana
- Banky W And Adesua Etomi Announces The Name Of Their Son
- Donald Trump Wishes Tiger Woods A Speedy Recovery After LA Crash (Photo)
- A Look At A Video Footage From Tiger Woods’ Accident