Nigeria’s presidential and national assembly elections have been delayed by one week and will now take place on Saturday, February 23, authorities said.
“Following a careful review of the implementation of the logistics and operational plan, and the determination to conduct free, fair and credible elections, the commission came to the conclusion that proceeding with the election as scheduled is no longer feasible,” the chairman of Nigeria’s Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), Mahmood Yakubu, said at a news conference early Saturday local time.
“This was a difficult decision for the commission to take, but necessary for the successful delivery of elections and the consolidation of our democracy,” he said.
Polls were due to open at 2 a.m. ET Saturday, February 16.
Elections for governorships, state House of Assembly and area councils are on hold until March 9, the INEC said.
The lead-up to the elections has been marked by violence, prompting warnings from the British and US governments to say they would deny visas and likely prosecute those found inciting violence during the vote.
Two Nigerian electoral commission offices housing voting materials were burned down within the space of a week.
In the presidential election, Muhammadu Buhari, 76, of the All Progressives Congress party, known as the APC, is standing for re-election. He will be running against 71 other presidential candidates.
His main challenger is Atiku Abubakar, 72, of the People’s Democratic Party, or PDP. He is a business tycoon and former vice president.
The vote comes at a critical time for the country’s economy, a lynchpin of the region. The recent oil price crash sent Nigeria’s economy into turmoil when the price of a barrel plunged to $40 at its lowest from a high of $100, leaving the country’s major revenue source depleted.
An estimated 87 million Nigerians now live in poverty, the highest number of impoverished people in the world, according to The Brookings Institution.
- NIGERIA ELECTIONS: Atiku Defeats Buhari In Presidential Villa Polling Unit
- NIGERIA ELECTIONS: Vote Counting Underway
- VIDEOS: Nigerian Aircraft Overloaded With Too Much Cash Collapses
- Nigeria election: Election office burnt down six days before polls
- PHOTO: 5 Men increase customer’s balance from $2,000 to $1.2 million after hacking into a Nigerian bank
- Ned Nwoko and Chika Ike were longtime ‘lovers’ before your daughter met him- Lady replies Rita Daniels
- #BBNaija Day 54: Nengi to study in UK, Dorathy sends Laycon packing, housemates to party with Ice Prince and DJ Xclusive, lots more…
- “Davido just go to Big Brother Naija and stop singing” – Fans react to Davido’s tweet
- Amb. Patten Calls for Diaspora Liberians’ Support
- Government gives away new Kotoka Airport to Turkish
- Ghana line-up Nigeria friendly ahead of 2019 AFCON
- Liberians face looming deportation deadline as Episcopal leaders join calls for leniency
- Pres. Weah and Government concerned about Liberians facing immigration challenges in the U.S., says Amb. Patten
- She fled Liberia’s civil war 24 years ago. Now Trump wants her to go back
- ‘I was raised an American’: Liberians await possible deportation from US
- Ph.D. student faces deportation to Liberia, where she has never lived
- Showboy handed 15-year sentence with six years to serve in custody – U.S media clarifies
- Employers Asked to Develop Clear Policy on Sexual Harassment At Workplaces
- PHOTOS: School Building Collapses In Nigeria; Over 100 Pupils Trapped
- Ethiopian Airlines Crashed Plane’s ‘Black Box’ Has Been Found
- Ethiopian Airlines Plane Crash: President Nana Addo Mourns Victims
- Ethiopian Airlines Crashed Plane: List Of Nationalities Onboard Released; No Ghanaian Onboard
- SCREENSHOT: Ghanaian Who Was Supposed To Be On Ethiopian Airlines Crashed Plane Speaks
- UPDATE: ‘No survivors’ on crashed Ethiopian Airline
- Nigeria Police ‘Chases’ Nollywood Actress Monalisa Chinda Over Tax Evasion
- I Slept With A Man In A Plane – Popular Ghanaian Actress Confesses
- Atiku rejects Nigeria election results, heads to court
- VIDEOS: Social Media Goes Frenzy With “Resurrection Challenge”
- JUST IN: Buhari Re-elected As President Of Nigeria
- PHOTOS: Nigerians Rain Insults On Desmond Elliot For Bragging About Commissioning A Public Toilet On Social Media