At least 15 people have been killed in a stampede at a campaign rally for Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari, a hospital spokesman says.
The incident happened at a stadium in the southern city of Port Harcourt when the crowd surged towards a gate after President Buhari’s speech.
Mr Buhari is running for a second term in tightly contested elections due to be held on Saturday.
Former Vice-President Atiku Abubakar is seen as his main contender.
The two leaders have signed an agreement in the capital, Abuja, pledging to promote peace and follow the legal process if there is a dispute after the vote.
What happened at the rally?
Looking for TWO SURE? This group won the Friday and Saturday games. Click to join Whats-App group.
The incident happened after President Buhari delivered his speech shortly after 15:00 local time (14:00 GMT) on Tuesday at the Adokiye Amiesimaka stadium.
Most of the victims are reported to have fallen and been trampled as the crowd tried to force its way through a partially locked gate to follow Mr Buhari as he left the arena.
The bodies of 12 women and three men were taken to the mortuary at the University of Port of Harcourt Teaching Hospital, spokesman Ken Daniel Elebiga said.
Twelve people were admitted for treatment but three have since been discharged, he added.
Mr Buhari’s office said the president had been informed about “the tragic deaths of several members of his All Progressives Congress [APC] party in a stampede”.
- NIGERIA ELECTIONS: Atiku Defeats Buhari In Presidential Villa Polling Unit
- NIGERIA ELECTIONS: Vote Counting Underway
- NIGERIA ELECTIONS: Buhari Checks Wife’s Ballot To See Who She Voted For
- Nigeria election: Election office burnt down six days before polls
- Amb. Patten Calls for Diaspora Liberians’ Support
- Government gives away new Kotoka Airport to Turkish
- Liberians face looming deportation deadline as Episcopal leaders join calls for leniency
- Pres. Weah and Government concerned about Liberians facing immigration challenges in the U.S., says Amb. Patten
- She fled Liberia’s civil war 24 years ago. Now Trump wants her to go back
- ‘I was raised an American’: Liberians await possible deportation from US
- Ph.D. student faces deportation to Liberia, where she has never lived
- Showboy handed 15-year sentence with six years to serve in custody – U.S media clarifies
- Employers Asked to Develop Clear Policy on Sexual Harassment At Workplaces
- Ethiopian Airlines Crashed Plane’s ‘Black Box’ Has Been Found
- Ethiopian Airlines Plane Crash: President Nana Addo Mourns Victims
- Ethiopian Airlines Crashed Plane: List Of Nationalities Onboard Released; No Ghanaian Onboard
- SCREENSHOT: Ghanaian Who Was Supposed To Be On Ethiopian Airlines Crashed Plane Speaks
- UPDATE: ‘No survivors’ on crashed Ethiopian Airline
- VIDEO: Reverend Owusu Bempah Warns His Colleague Fake Prophets
- VIDEO: Reverend Owusu Bempah’s Prophecy About Nigeria’s Election Manifests
- Nigeria Elections: This Is How Reverend Owusu Bempah Predicted A Win For Buhari – VIDEO
- VIDEOS: Social Media Goes Frenzy With “Resurrection Challenge”
- JUST IN: Buhari Re-elected As President Of Nigeria
- Nigeria Elections: Full List Of Presidential Results Released; Buhari Still Leading
- VIDEOS: Nigerian Aircraft Overloaded With Too Much Cash Collapses
- Nigerian Elections: Electoral Commissioner Will Be Killed – Prophet Badu Kobi Reveals
- Confusion Hits Nigeria Over 2019 Presidential Election Postponement
- Nigerian elections delayed one week
- Namibia decriminalises dumping newborn babies
- Policeman Sentenced To Death For Murder