Former President and flagbearer of the National Democratic Congress (NDC) John Dramani Mahama has argued that the New Patriotic Party(NPP) government cannot explain away the nepotism charge levelled against it by stating that the appointed relatives of the President are qualified because he had more qualified relations but never did same.
For the qualification of the relatives of the President was immaterial when he was President and the same standard must hold for President Akufo-Addo and his New Patriotic Party(NPP) government.
“The thing is in politics, be careful what you say because tomorrow, it will come to haunt you, And that’s exactly what’s haunting them. [They shouted] family and friends government! When it wasn’t true. Now today, relatives everywhere! And when you raise it, nepotism, they tell you:” No, no, it doesn’t matter if it is the person’s relative; it depends on whether they are qualified. Whether they are qualified? Who doesn’t have qualified relatives? I have degree holders and PhD holders in my family. And that’s what I said in Bolga: if it was getting qualified relatives, oh! Plenty, I have plenty,” he pointed out in a speech at a recent event covered by MyNewsGh.com
The NDC, as part of its Moment of Truth Series, accused the President of packing his government with as many as 51 relatives in his government, declaring the NPP as the most nepotistic government in Ghana’s history.
But the NPP, in a swift rebuttal, explained that even though some of the relatives named have no government positions, all others cited are qualified to serve as appointed by the President.
This explanation, John Mahama, finds unacceptable given that it is a different rule for the current President as opposed to when he was President when the qualification of relatives did not matter.
“Then lean government. Lean government! When you appoint and they are too many, they say oh, it is not the quantity but it is the quality. So who is judging the quality? You? You know, but it’s not good for our corporate governance. Because you don’t change the rules depending on who is in power. Ghana belongs to all of us. Whoever is President, whoever forms government, we must hold them to the same standard of accountability. And civil society organizations have gone quiet? More society has gone quiet?” he wondered.
- I won’t abandon Akufo-Addo’s projects like he’s done mine – Mahama
- Mahama handed me an economy in dire straits – Akufo-Addo
- Mahama commends Akufo-Addo for completing Adaklu SHS
- Should everything be launched? The case of the launch of Ghana’s GHS600M stimulus package
- Akufo-Addo and his government want to remove ‘fearless’ Domelevo – Asiedu Nketia
- Akufo-Addo to cut sod on Sunday for the construction of Kumasi Film Village
- Akufo-Addo to use 2nd AFAG petition to order Domelevo to ‘step aside’ – NDC blows alarm
- Akufo-Addo gov’t, catholic bishops & CSOs in corruption war
- Akufo-Addo personally supports NPP boys insults on his critics – A Plus alleges
- Afenyo Markin reveals how Akufo-Addo personally views Auditor General
- Government will be humiliated at referendum – Chamber of local governance
- Asantehene Otumfuo Osei Tutu II visits Mahama
- Advise Akufo-Addo to withdraw referendum – Dan Botwe urged
- I have no issue with Mahama – Rawlings
- Rawlings debunks alleged bad blood with Mahama
- Ghanaians yet to see no-nonsense leadership from Akufo-Addo – Serwaa Amihere
- Mahama challenges government to fix hardships
- Pathological liars, shame on you – Minority to Akufo-Addo, Ofori-Atta
- ‘Akufo-Addo’s ambulances’ to be distributed in 2020
- Ghana being ruled by ‘fools’ – Odike fumes
- Address issue of high interest rates – Akufo-Addo to BoG
- Manasseh’s book on Mahama’s ‘second coming’ out in 3 weeks
- President cuts sod for railway projects in Volta Region
- Nana Asante Bediatuo’s mother, father, sister, brother in President’s family & friends
- Akufo-Addo the ‘most nepotistic leader in the world’ – NDC
- Mahama winning a second term will be punishment from God – Akufo-Addo
- Mahama has no record, policies to defend, only bankruptcy – Akufo-Addo
- Akufo-Addo travels with about 50 vehicles to the Volta Region
- Akufo-Addo begins two day tour of Volta Region today
- God brought NPP so Ghanaians can appreciate NDC – Mahama