Ghana has six more regions which add up to the existing ten to be sixteen.
The North East Region is one of the newly created ones and was created off of the Northern Region after voters voted YES in a referendum.
Ghana’s President Akufo Addo named Nalerigu as the capital of the North East Region.
Jetsanza.com takes a look at what’s in for tourists in Nalerigu.
Being the largest town in the East Mamprusi Municipal Assembly, the traditional capital of the Mamprusi people, as well as the seat of the Paramount Chief the NaYiri, there was no doubt that Nalerigu would be selected as the capital of the newly created North East region of Ghana.
Attractions in Nalerigu
Nalerigu Defence Wall
The Nalerigu Defence Wall is the remains of the Naa Jaringa Walls, which lie under a grove of trees. The wall is located in the village of Nalerigu in the East Mamprusi District, about 120 km south-east of Bolgatanga, about 156 km from Tamale and 8 km past Gambaga, in the Northern Region of Ghana.
This wall was built in the 16th century by Naa Jaringa (named after the African viper), a powerful chief of the Mamprusi ethnic group. The Defence Wall initially surrounded the entire village, but now only a few ruins remain.
The slave route, between Ouagadogou in Burkina Faso and Djenne in Mali, passed close by. The wall was erected for two reasons: firstly, to protect inhabitants from slave raiders, and secondly, to ensure that Naa Jaringa’s name would always be remembered.
According to local tradition, the wall was built with stones, mud, honey and milk.
The chiefs and peoples of Nalerigu celebrate the Damba festival. It is also celebrated by the people of Tamale, and Wa.
The festival is celebrated in the Dagomba lunar month of Damba which corresponds to Rabia al-Awwal, the third month of the Islamic calendar. In the past few years, the festival has been celebrated in November and December.
Damba Festival marks the birth and naming of Muhammad, but the actual content of the celebration is a glorification of the chieftaincy, not specific Islamic motifs.
NaYiri Palace in Nalerigu is the palace of the Paramount chief of Mamprugu Traditional Area. The current Paramount chief is Nayiri Naa Bohagu Mahami Shirega.
Looking for TWO SURE? This group won the Friday and Saturday games. Click to join Whats-App group.
Nalerigu is also popular among volunteers in the health sector. Medical students and professionals have volunteered at the Baptist Medical Centre in Nalerigu. The health facility provides volunteers who travel to the town the opportunity to serve the people in their respective medical fields. Volunteers take advantage of their stay to learn basic Mampruli language to socialise effectively with the locals.
If you are a nurse or a medical doctor, you may want to take up this volunteering opportunity.
It’s not possible to access Nalerigu by air. However, travelers from Accra can travel by air to Tamale and continue their journey by bus. It’s 3 hours to travel by bus from Tamale to Nalerigu.
Traveling by land is highly recommended if you want to catch a glimpse of Kumasi, Techiman and other cities as part of your trip to Nalerigu. Traveling by land to Nalerigu could be tiresome if you are not using your own car which will permit you to make stops in various cities for even up to a day. It can take up to 15 hours to reach Nalerigu via Tamale.
References: Nalerigu Defence Wall (Ghana Museums and Monuments Board)
- Ghana finalizes agreement with GERC for $2.2bn Eastern railway project
- Ethiopian Airlines crash: Mum sensed daughter’s death
- BREAKING NEWS: UK Bans Boeing 737 MAX 8 Aircraft From Its Airspace
- This is the Nigerian who died in the Ethiopian Airlines crash
- Ghanaians expected on crashed Ethiopian Airlines flight
- UPDATE: ‘No survivors’ on crashed Ethiopian Airline
- Ethiopian Airlines flight to Nairobi crashes
- Notable people who called for Catherine Afeku’s removal as Tourism Minister
- Catherine Afeku Removed as Minister For Tourism & Creative Arts
- Akufo-Addo names ministers for new regions
- Cape360 awarded at 2018 Central Region Tourism Awards; see full list of winners
- How to successfully apply for South Africa Visitor Visa from Ghana
- New Ghana Map: These are the names of the six new regions in Ghana and their capitals
- Nigerians Travel To Ghana Just To See KIA Terminal 3
- YEAR OF RETURN: Aburi’s Regeneration Concert records impeccable performances in a marijuana-filled atmosphere
- YEAR OF RETURN: Aburi Botanical Gardens to host African Culture and Wellness Festival
- Uganda hints of Sex Tourism
- START PACKING: Canada wants 1 million more new immigrants over the next 3 years
- All six proposed regions meet constitutional threshold requirements – EC
- Referendum: Massive YES votes for 6 new regions
- The six new proposed regions of Ghana and the new map of Ghana
- U.S ambassador summoned over high rate of visa denials
- Supreme Court dismisses suit challenging new regions referendum
- Passport forms now free and available online
- Free WiFi on board Dubai taxis
- Ghana’s tourism promoted by Shatta Wale’s Reign album launch
- Ethiopia to give all Africans visa-on-arrival
- 10 incredible drone photography shots of Western Region that will give you serious wanderlust
- Kotoka Airport: Domestic airline operations moved to Terminal 2
- U.S DV Lottery 2020 opens for entries