The Meridian Port Service (MPS) signed a deal with the Ghana government under former President John Mahama’s led National Democratic Congress (NDC) government through the Ghana Ports and Harbors Authority (GPHA) in 2015.
The deal was expected to help expand the Tema port to an unprecedented and enviable status in the history of the port industry in the Sub-Saharan Africa, but checks from the contract has proven that the contract is packed with terms with the tendency to rip off Ghana of some very huge revenue, destroy jobs already created and yet to be created, scare away of potential investors, and also rob a lot of citizens of Ghana of their current jobs at the port.
Statistics has it that the contract which is expected to last for about thirty-five (35) years is going to deprive Ghana and Ghanaians through the Tema Port of revenue of around 2 billion dollars over the entire span (32 years) of management of the port by the MPS limited which makes it around a 70 million dollars yearly loss to the nation aside an additional tax waiver of around 800 million dollars which has been granted MPS. More over, the contract is likely to cause the loss of the jobs of over three thousand (3,000) workers of the Tema port, Inland Container Depots, Terminals Operators, Stevedoring Companies, Shorehandling companies and other private companies working in the Tema port, and also the possible collapse of all such companies.
This 35-year Tema port expansion Public Private Partnership (PPP) contract signed between MPS and the former President Mahama led NDC government is a Build Operate Transfer (BOT) project which was kicked started in 2015 after it was signed in same year, of which operation and management by MPS is supposed to start from June 2019 for a span of 35 years.
It is alleged that the deal which was to have the interest of all parties; Ghana government, MPS, Bolloré Africa Logistics and APM Terminals, equally satisfied, turned bad after former President Mahama, Elder Ofosu Ampofo; the former Board chairman of GPHA and Mr. Anamoo; the former Director General of GPHA shortchanged the destiny of Ghana and Ghanaians for their pockets by signing a very bad deal which gives MPS the monopolistic rights with respect to all the activities at the Tema Port.
Since the negative effects of the MPS deal are so scary, and totally outweigh the positives to the nation, it will be great and proper for this new government under the leadership of President Nana Addo Dankwa Akuffo-Addo led New Patriotic Party (NPP) to get the entire deal renegotiated for the betterment of the country and its citizens, and all the other parties involved.
Hhhmm, may God be praised always
Nana Kwadwo Akwaa
Member, Critical Thinkers International (CTI)
- Why I will vote against Akufo-Addo even if he gives me free water and electricity for life
- Is Hawa Koomson’s act a confirmation that the NPP is the most violent political party in Ghana?
- In-depth analysis that shows that Akufo-Addo has won the 2020 elections
- Auditor General Vs The Presidency: Why both should be shown the exit
- Time to do away with retirees as Presidents; Amend the laws to allow the youth to contest
- What Prof. Jane Naana Opoku has in common with past running mates that should scare the NPP
- Why Nana Addo should be blamed for Carlos Ahenkorah’s recklessness
- NDC has erred: This is why preparing a manifesto without a running mate is a big blunder
- 4 Top Ignorant Politicians in Ghana [OPINION]
- Why one of these 3 would be John Mahama’s running mate
- Dr. Bawumia: The 21st Century Ghanaian Political Messiah?
- Why I blame Reverend Obofour for the death of Apraku My Daughter
- What if the advert that ‘has been vetted and approved by FDA’ hasn’t been vetted and approved by FDA?
- Digitisation: Are Ghanaians losing their jobs to robots?
- Do you know NCCE is still running adverts on the cancelled referendum? The teacher needs a teacher
- #SaveOurData campaign makes no sense; who is forcing you to live in East Legon when Lapaz is cheap?
- How democracy collapsed Ghana
- Ghanaian politicians, before you boast of efficiency, read this
- EKOWRITEs: HIV/AIDS, the ABC story
- Leader needs patience!
- Opinion: History of Trans Volta Togoland
- President Akufo-Addo was right; vote ‘Yes’ to elect your MMDCEs
- Is COP Nathan Kofi Boakye a policeman of integrity?
- Samson’s Take: Books win corruption fight in Ghana
- Female majority enrolment – University of Ghana shows the way
- The undisputed fact about our pregnant teenagers
- Western Togoland: Blame UK & UN, not Ghana
- Electing MMDCEs on political party tickets will embolden wanton abuse of political power at local levels
- President Akufo-Addo, the generations yet unborn are most grateful for protecting Ghana’s bauxite!
- The truth behind Ghanaian politics