Menzgold, and other top cases in court that you probably don’t know their status now

Over the years, something very peculiar about Ghana has popped up; When an incident occurs, it is widely talked about in the media. That incident becomes the order of the day. However, the nitty-gritty of that incident is not known because as soon as another incident pops up, the previous incident becomes a thing of the past, and the cycle continues.

And as a result, there are some top cases presently in court whose statuses are unknown by many. Buckle your shoes and let’s have a walk.

Menzgold

In September 2018, the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) ordered Menzgold to cease its gold derivative business. According to the SEC, that line of business by Menzgold amounted to deposit-taking which it was not licensed to do. The CEO of Menzgold, Nana Appiah Mensah (NAM 1) called the bluff of the SEC. However, the SEC emerged ‘victorious’ and Menzgold eventually ceased operations.

In August 2019, following his release from custody in Dubai and after securing bail from an Accra court where he was charged with 61 offences (money laundering, fraud, taking illegal deposits, trading in unlicensed minerals, et al) against the state, NAM 1 held a press conference in Accra where he appealed to the government to help his troubled gold dealership firm, Menzgold pay its disgruntled customers.

On Thursday, 5th March, 2020, the Accra circuit court presided over by Her Honour Evelyn Mensah warned the prosecution (The State) that owing to a lack of substantial evidence against NAM 1, the case could be struck out. The prosecution, led by ASP Sylvester Asare told the court that he had been instructed by the Attorney General to ask for more time. However, the court warned that it would be the last time such an excuse would be entertained and that if the prosecution fails to come up with anything substantial at the next adjourned date, NAM 1 will be discharged.

On 23rd June 2020, the State filed new charges against NAM 1 at the Accra Circuit Court. The Court presided over by Ellen Asamoah granted the request of the prosecution and the trial was adjourned to July 20, 2020.

On July 20, the prosecution said that it was still waiting for advice from the Attorney-General’s Department in order to commence the trial. ASP Sylvester Asare said, “When the advice is ready, we will issue a hearing notice to the accused person to appear”.

At the request of the prosecution, the case was then adjourned to Monday, September 7, 2020.

Shatta Wale and Stonebwoy

In May 2019, Shatta Wale and his entourage walked onto a stage where Stonebwoy was receiving an award for the VGMA dancehall artiste of the year. In ‘self-defense’, Stonebwoy pulled a gun which was revealed to be an Australian Gun INFK 158 with butt number, AA792002017.

Following the incident, they were arrested and detained. On the next day, they were granted a police enquiry bail. They were then charged with offensive conduct conducive to the breach of peace while Stonebwoy also faced another charge; displaying a weapon in public space without permission.

In August 2019, following the absence of Shatta Wale’s lawyer, Jerry Avenorgbor, the case was adjourned to September 13, 2019. The case was presided over by His Lordship, Isaac Addo at the Adjabeng Magistrate Court in Accra.

The case was adjourned to November 26, 2019 because the State Prosecutor who was handling the case was said to have been promoted and will not be available till the new date of the adjournment.

Since November 26, 2019, not much has been heard about the case, and it seems to have stalled.

Joseph Boakye Danquah-Adu (JB Danquah)

The former MP for Abuakwa North, was murdered in his residence at Shiashie, a suburb of Accra on 8th February, 2016. After investigations, a certain Daniel Asiedu (also known as Sexy Dondon) and Vincent Bosso were arrested and charged with conspiracy to commit robbery. Asiedu was separately charged with murder.

After series of adjournments, the case was heard on 29th July, 2020. The judge hearing the case of the alleged killers of the late MP lamented over the absence of the counsel for the defence.

The court which was presided over by Justice Lydia Osei Marfo noted that the counsel for the accused, Augustine Obour has been absenting himself from the court and in effect, causing a delay in the trial of the two accused persons.

She also said that no reasons have been given by the defense counsel for his consistent absence. The judge said that if the counsel failed to appear during the next sitting, she would be compelled to write to the Legal Aid Scheme to provide the accused with new legal representation.

The case was then adjourned to October 16, 2020.

Kumawood Actor Abass Blinkz

On November 7, 2020, popular Kumawood actor Abass Nurudeen, commonly referred to as Blinks, met his untimely death after he was stabbed in a brawl. While the reports had been prominent on social media, details on the assassination had been sketchy. Police arrested a suspected in the case and nothing has been heard since.

The suspect, whose name was given as Tijani Smalia, was remanded for two weeks by Asokore Mampong Municipal Court after appearing in court for the first time on Monday November 19, 2018.  Nothing has been heard since.

Related Posts