A group of actors from the Akan-speaking movie industry, popularly known as Kumawood presented a petition to Parliament on Wednesday, July 24, 2019, on the construction of a Film Village in Kumasi.
The team, led by actress Nana Ama McBrown requested that a Film Village be built in Kumasi, which is regarded as the hub of Ghanaian movie industry.
During her presentation to the Majority Leader, Osei Kyei Mensah-Bonsu, McBrown stated that the Kumawood movie industry contributes immensely to the socio-economic wellbeing of Ghanaians; a reason a film village in Kumasi is needed.
“We play a very critical role in the movie industry in Ghana. We have employed more Ghanaians as part of our business,” she said.
“For this reason, we are petitioning Parliament to ensure that the Film Village is set up in the Ashanti Region.”
Osei Kyei Mensah-Bonsu, after receiving the petition on behalf of the leader of Parliament assured the petitioners that their concerns would be forwarded to the Speaker of Parliament.
Looking for TWO SURE? This group won the Friday and Saturday games. Click to join Whats-App group.
In the meantime, the government of Ghana has announced plans to build a Film Village which will be located in the Eastern Region.
In the 2019 budget, it was stated that: “The government has acquired 200 acres of land in the Eastern Region to build a Film Village.”
After the budget was read last year, some entertainment critics detested the decision to build the Film Village in the Eastern Region.
In April 2019, Veteran movie producer, Samuel Nyamekye of Miracle Films and other filmmakers threatened to hit the streets with a massive demonstration if the government did not rescind its decision to change the location to the Ashanti Region.
Speaking on Peace FM’s ‘Entertainment Review’, Samuel Nyamekye accompanied by actors Salinko and Big Akwes said they would “do whatever it takes including a demonstration to make sure their voices are heard”.
The construction of the film village is part of measures to make the film industry in Ghana more vibrant and to provide it with the necessary resources needed to make filmmaking more attractive and productive.
- My 9-month-old daughter has two endorsement deals – McBrown
- Begging Nana Ama Mcbrown doesn’t mean I lied about what she did – Rosemond Brown
- Nana Ama McBrown reveals how she encountered fake pastors because of childlessness
- Nana Ama McBrown celebrates husband’s birthday with celebrities
- The movie industry has contributed to more Ghana’s economy and needs to be supported – Nana Ama Mcbrown to Majority leader
- Build Film Village in Kumasi not Kyebi – Kumawood Stars petition parliament
- 8 Top Ghanaian Celebrities people think are using their ‘football’ age
- Ghanaian celebrities who have struggled with infertility
- 7 Ghanaian celebrities who saw death but refused to succumb to it
- Ghanaian personalities who have been accused of occultism
- Before And After Photos Of Ghanaian celebrities Whose Weight Loss Will Shock You
- Ghanaian Celebrities Who Own a G- Wagon
- 9 Ghanaian celebrities who switched Kumasi for Accra
- Successful Ghanaian Celebrities Who Everyone Doubted from Their Beginnings
- PHOTOS: Female Ghanaian celebrities who make short hair beautiful
- Ghanaian celebrities who are multi-talented that you probably didn’t know
- Top 5 most influential Ghanaian celebrities who have kept clean sheets throughout their career despite criticisms
- PHOTOS: 5 Ghanaian Celebrities Who Have Lost Weight Overnight
- Celebrity Baby Bumps That Will Make You Feel Like Getting Pregnant Immediately
- Ghanaian Female Actresses Richer Than Shatta Wale
- Ghanaian celebrities who dated sugar mummies
- Wondering how Nana Ama McBrown gets money to buy the expensive cars? Here are her sources of income
- Ghanaian celebrities who went through hell before getting a child
- Popular Ghanaian celebrities who have not been verified on social media
- WILD PHOTOS: Ghanaian celebrities obsessed with cars
- Ghanaian celebrities who love dogs
- Actress Vicky Zugah denies marriage rumours
- I broke up with David Dontoh because I couldn’t give birth for him – Maame Dokono
- Ladies will go after my man if I disclose his identity – Emelia Brobbey
- Vicky Zugah set to tie the knot On December 28