Actor John Dumelo has joined the bandwagon rooting for the legalisation of marijuana in Ghana.
Speaking on Cooks and Braggarts, a cooking show hosted Yvonne Okoro, Mr Dumelo said the country can benefit more from the medicinal advantages of Marijuana after it is legalised.
“When you go to some of the western countries, it [Marijuana] has been legalised for health purposes and we can also do same,” he stated.
Mr Dumelo said, “If alcohol and cigarettes are legal in Ghana, why not marijuana.”
Some interest groups, including the Rastafari Council of Ghana, in years past have suggested, the country could control effectively the recreational use of the weed by decriminalising it.
Other groups also suggested, addressing the use of Marijuana through criminal justice institutions, ultimately infringes on various fundamental rights of people who use drugs, including the rights to health, information, personal autonomy, and self-determination.
Looking for TWO SURE? This group won the Friday and Saturday games. Click to join Whats-App group.
However, the Mental Health Authority in 2016 did not budge in their argument against the legalisation of Marijuana saying, it poses a severe threat to the mental health of people who use it.
“If you take Marijuana in your teens when the brain is actively developing, you interfere with your ability to be motivated adequately and to judge adequately,” the Chief Executive Officer of the authority, Dr Akwasi Osei said.
Expressing his thoughts on how the recreational use of the drug could be controlled, the entrepreneur said authorities in Ghana can do research of their own and later put up structures needed to prevent the abuse of the drug after it has been legalised.
He explained Cannada put those structures in place after legalising marijuana in October 2018.
The entrepreneur stated, many people think the legalisation of marijuana will increase high crime rates and mental illnesses as a result of the recreational use of the drug but that is not true.
“If you look at places like Holland, California and Colorado where the drug has been legalised crime rates are low,” he added.
- VIDEO: Ghanaian celebrities who drive expensive and luxurious cars
- Why Yvonne Nelson did not attend John Dumelo’s wedding
- PHOTO & VIDEO: Nadia, Yvonne Okoro And Yvonne Nelson Spotted At John Dumelo’s Son’s Naming Ceremony
- VIDEO: My Wife Was Pregnant Before I Married Her – John Dumelo Reveals
- VIDEO: Actress Yvonne Nelson regrets organising “Dumsor Vigil” Against the NDC?
- 8 Top Ghanaian Celebrities people think are using their ‘football’ age
- Ghanaian celebrities who love farming
- These Ghanaian celebrities show us how small things can help COVID-19 relief efforts in big ways
- Ghana Celebrities Advocating For Marijuana Legalization
- 10 Ghanaian celebrities who have won the hearts of Nigerians
- Father’s Day: Young Ghanaian Celebrities who are fathers (+ Heartwarming Photos)
- Ghanaian celebrities who got into trouble because of their cars
- Gify Mawunya was destined to marry John Dumelo and this is why
- Ghanaians who became celebrities because they married or dated celebrities
- Ghanaian Celebrities Who Had Babies 6 Months After Marriage
- Ghanaian Celebrities Who Married In 2018 – PHOTOS
- Ghanaian celebrities who have the heart for advocacies
- Ghanaian celebrities who have been accused of sexual misconduct
- Ghanaian celebrities who were rich before stardom
- Ghanaian celebrities who are practising or raised Catholics
- Ghanaian celebrities and their brands that Ghanaians actually love
- Ghanaian celebrities who will retweet when you tweet at them
- Will Ghanaians love for John Dumelo translates into votes amidst V8 saga?
- Local rice cheaper than imported ones – Journalist schools John Dumelo
- Yvonne Nelson premieres ‘Fix Us’ on December 6
- John Dumelo pushes ‘borla’ truck for votes
- Dumelo pushes for twice a week wearing of ‘Ghana clothes,’ says it will create jobs
- Nadia Buari plays with John Dumelo’s son on his birthday
- I’ve plans to establish something like Silicon Valley in Ghana – John Dumelo
- Elections are not won on social media – John Dumelo tells NPP