An Accra Circuit Court has ordered Mobile Telecommunications Network (MTN) to produce the call records of a conversation between Mahama Ayariga, the Member of Parliament for Bawku Central and an officer of the Ghana Revenue Authority (GRA).
According to the Ghanaian Times, the court gave the order on January 22 at the request of Special Prosecutor (SP) Mr Martin Alamisi Burns Kaiser Amidu.
Mr Amidu told the Accra Circuit Court “2” presided over by Mrs Ruby Naa Adjeley-Quayson that the Office of Special Prosecutor (OSP) had already obtained an order to conduct a forensic examination on three mobile phone numbers from the Director General of Criminal Investigations Department (CID) of the Ghana Police Service.
He urged the court to exercise its powers under the Electronic Transaction Act, Act 2008(Act 772) of Section 100, 101 and 103.
Mr Amidu who is known for his tough stance against corruption recently hinted that he would soon start prosecuting corruption-related cases.
In moving the motion for an order directed at the telecom giant to produce records of the conversation between the lawmaker and the officer at GRA, the SP said the information he wanted was between December 2018 and January 2019.
Consequently, the Presiding Judge, Mrs Ruby Naa Adjeley granted the order and asked MTN to produce the said records dated December 1, 2018, to January 6, 2019.
At the time of filing this story, a staff of the OSP was in court to take the order and serve on MTN.
In August 2018, Mr Amidu reported the legislator to the Economic and Organised Crime Organisation (EOCO) for allegedly attempting to block his investigation on him.
Mr Amidu alleged that the Bawku Central MP had sent chiefs, pastors and opinion leaders to intercede on his behalf.
- Amidu chases Ayariga in Bawku
- Parliament suspends sitting to determine whether Ayariga should meet SP in court
- H K. Prempeh, Kwaku Azar challenge Ayariga over Martin Amidu’s invitation refusal
- Amidu charges Ayariga in court for fraudulently evading tax on imported vehicles
- Where is Martin Amidu?
- 9 Ghanaians With The Most Difficult Jobs That You Wouldn’t Want To Be In Their Shoes
- I can’t get my GH¢180 million budget – Martin Amidu cries out
- I’II resign my job and campaign for Amidu, Domelevo ticket in 2020 – Braimah
- Don’t tie my hands behind me and say I am a poor boxer – Martin Amidu
- Speaker of Parliament tried to persuade me not to prosecute MPs – SP
- Amidu sues AG for not retrieving €47m judgment debt illegally paid Waterville
- Amidu is a ‘Special Letter Writer’ not Prosecutor- Suhuyini jabs
- Amidu takes on CID over ‘scandalous’ non-cooperation in $15m case
- Metro Mass chases NDC, Ablakwa, Ayariga, 5 minority MPs over debts owed it
- Our client didn’t defame you, he won’t apologize – Ato Forson’s lawyers to Amidu
- Amidu demands apology from Ato Forson over ‘defamatory’ judgement debt claims
- Retract and apologise for your defamatory comments – Amidu to Ato Forson
- Court halts trial of Mahama Ayariga
- NPP and NDC members waiting to jubilate over my sack – Martin Amidu
- Those persuading me to resign are ‘corrupt’ – Martin Amidu snarls
- I’ll soon catch up with you – Amidu to state looters
- ‘I consulted no one over SP job’ – Amidu denies ‘hallucinating’ Asiedu Nketia claims
- Don’t test me – Amidu warns Buaben Asamoa
- Sack me – Martin Amidu dares NPP
- Amidu lashes out at Yaw Boaben Asamoa
- Amidu complaining too much, nobody is stopping his probe – Buabeng Asamoah
- Martin Amidu on his way out, set to rejoin NDC
- Stop my trial – Ayariga tells court
- Amidu laments interference by civil society heads in his work
- Heads of institutions hindering fight against corruption – Martin Amidu