Former President of the Republic of Ghana and head of state for a combined period of nineteen (19), Jerry John Rawlings has revealed that but for the intervention of a respected figure Kofi Annan who ‘forced’ him to open a foreign bank account, he had never owned any bank account outside the shores of Ghana.
He was addressing Cadres and National Democratic Congress in Kumasi over the last weekend where he urged the cadres of the party to continue to stand for and by the principles underlying the founding of the NDC.
“My wife and I opened a foreign account at the urging of former United Nations General Secretary, Kofi Annan. He told me he will need me to help in the UN anti-AIDS campaign and once in while the UN will pay me some allowance.” He said.
“My wife and I were in office for nineteen years, by the time we were leaving office, we did not have even one dollar foreign account”, he added.
Looking for TWO SURE? This group won the Friday and Saturday games. Click to join Whats-App group.
He further revealed that the foreign bank account was no longer functional following the closure of the program for which it was opened.
“The campaign has ended long ago and that account has been closed. I don’t have any hidden foreign account and she (his wife) does not’’.
Mr Rawlings in a similar event in Accra last year revealed a secret about his house: He said he spent years, building his house bit by bit before it reached where it reached- that it took them more than thirteen (13)years to put up that personal house at Adjiringanno, a plush suburb of Accra. He said at the time he began, the place was a bush without any buildings around.
It is now fully developed.
“When we started putting up that structure, there was no building in that part of town, not the Trassaco Estates” he said.
- Ghanaians who have won prestigious global awards
- I have no issue with Mahama – Rawlings
- Rawlings debunks alleged bad blood with Mahama
- Kufuor’s bad deals cause of annual floods – Rawlings
- UEW: Avoke being treated unfairly – Rawlings
- Rawlings applauds $1m penalty against Chinese fishing firm
- I was nearly buried alive after handing over power to Limann – Rawlings
- Kofi Annan wanted marijuana decriminalized, who am I to say otherwise? – George Jahrah
- Rawlings retracts call for interdiction of Afenyo-Markin
- Rawlings receives Afenyo-Markin, Water Company delegation
- Neglect of Oti led to region’s creation – Rawlings tells NDC
- Railways Ministry employs environmentally friendly technology
- My wife and I left office cashless – Rawlings reveals
- NDC leaders know they cannot win 2020 elections – Rawlings
- Rawlings takes on ‘corrupt’ NPP appointees
- I’ m glad – Rawlings reacts to anger of Okyeman against NDC
- Rawlings, Akufo-Addo biggest victims of politics of insults – Prof. Karikari
- Rawlings destroyed Ghanaian businesses – Paul Adom-Otchere charges
- I won’t remain silent on the many ills in Ghana – Rawlings
- Former MP receives vehicle from Rawlings
- Ghana to host 2019 African Green Revolution Forum in honour of Kofi Annan
- Hypocrite Rawlings is an ‘ass kisser’ – Kevin Taylor
- Gunmen who shot Rawlings’ outrider identified
- Rawlings’ dispatch rider shot, suffers broken arm
- Stop hailing ‘hypocrite’ Rawlings – Kennedy Agyapong
- Former President commends EC for work done so far
- Volta NDC women, MTN celebrate Rawling’s 72nd birthday
- Effah Dartey replies JJ Rawlings on June 4 speech
- Rawlings spotted preparing food in public
- Rawlings wins court case against Africa Watch Magazine; awarded GHC2, 000 cost