Singer Kidi has opened up on veteran highlife musician Amakye Dede crowning Kuami Eugene as ‘Future of Highlife’ in Ghana’s music industry at the recently held 2019 Vodafone Ghana Music Awards (VGMA).
Some industry players registered their displeasure about the move, saying there were other highlife artistes who equally deserved the honour.
Some suggested that Bisa Kdei or K.K. Fosu, among other renowned acts who tow the highlife genre were supposed to be honoured rather than Kuami Eugene, who emerged just two years ago.
In subsequent reports, the manager of Amakye Dede, Mr Akwesi Aboagye came out to reveal that his artiste was forced to crown Kuami Eugene.
Speaking on Daybreak Hitz on Hitz FM, Kidi said he cannot fathom why people are raising concerns because indirectly or directly he deserved it.
He buttressed his assertion with the fact that Kuami Eugene has won ‘Highlife Artiste of the Year’ back-to-back at the VGMA.
“I was right about to go on stage when that happened and I heard Amakye Dede crown him. We laughed about it when he returned backstage. We know he’s amazing and has won two years in a row. The sky is enough for all stars to shine so I have no idea why people are complaining,” he said.
Asked if it got to him as he is equally a singer who emerged on the music scene with Kuami Eugene, Kidi simply said, “I don’t let these things get to me. I am all about positive energy.”
- Kidi was my prayer point – Kuami Eugene confesses
- FIFA 19 challenge: KiDi embarrasses Kuami Eugene again
- Never compare Bisa Kdei to KiDi, Kuami Eugene – Mr logic
- KiDi speaks on having a child at age 23
- Kuami Eugene recounts ‘crazy’ experiences with female fans
- MzVee won’t end up like former Lynx signees – KiDi
- Kidi reveals one thing that makes him happy
- Kidi opens up on his relationship life
- Kidi is a better Highlife artiste than Kuami Eugene – Okuraseni Samuel
- I deserve the Highlife king crown; I’ve worked hard over the years – Kuami Eugene to critics
- Who crowned Amakye Dede highlife king for him to crown Kuami Eugene’? – Social media users ask
- Is Wendy Shay telling us Kidi has bad breath in this video?
- VGMAs 2019: Sarkodie crowned Artiste of the Decade
- Bright tips Kuami Eugene to win VGMA Artiste of the year
- Kuami Eugne, Kidi not competition at Lynx – DopeNation
- Ghanaian celebrities who are building brands around their body parts
- Ghanaian secular musicians who used to sing in the Church before going commercial
- Father’s Day: Young Ghanaian Celebrities who are fathers (+ Heartwarming Photos)
- Blakk Cedi finally shows Stonebwoy power on Instagram after he sacked him
- Kofi Kinaata deserves nomination in Gospel Song of the Year category – Quophi Okyeame
- ‘Buy land in Ghana’ – Akon woos African-Americans investors ahead of Year of Return
- Govt has failed in educating citizens about ‘Year of Return’ – Shatta Wale
- Africangurl Donia (AGD) – ‘Reason With Me’ (Cover)
- Medikal, Eno to ‘shutdown’ Ghana with Cardi B
- Most gospel musicians are not called by God – Cindy Thompson
- Obrafour ‘angrily’ replies Yaw Labito over allegations
- 2019 has been the best year in my music career – Strongman
- Sarkodie’s ‘Oofeets? song ‘ignites’ rivalry between Sark Nation and SM
- ‘I Don’t Want Shatta Wale To Sign Me, He Has Poor Managerial Skills’- Kevynboy Fires
- Musician Kontihene escapes a gory accident (+ photo