The president of the Republic of Ghana, Nana Addo Dankwa Akuffo-Addo has come under intense criticism and backlash from some sections of Ghanaian on popular social media platform twitter. These aggrieved Ghanaians are chastising the president for denting the image of Ghana by making some false claims on Ghana’s fight against the coronavirus pandemic.
If readers may recall, in his fifth situational covid-19 address to the nation, the president made claims that his government has more covid-19 tests per million people than any other country in Africa. However, this claim verified and rated false.
AFP Fact Check in their recent publication has proven that the comments made by the president were false. According to the media outlet, the data available to them suggest that at the time the president made the claim, Ghana was behind South Africa and two other countries.
According to AFP Fact Check, when the president made the pronouncement, Ghana had conducted 5,300 tests for every million inhabitants, higher than Nigeria and Botswana but the country was below South Africa, who had tested 5,808 per million, Dijbouti who had also tested 15,713 per million and Mauritius who had then tested 57,931 per million. It is for this reason that some Ghanaians have decided to call out the president for his actions.
Here are some tweets from some Ghanaians:
“the embarrassment has gone very far…. If u keep embarrassing urself in Ghana and no one calls you to order, this is what happens.”
“Waaa look at this, Ghana was even fourth country yet Nana said they are first. oooooohoooo.”
‘@ derrick tweeted,
“Ghanaians are something, how can you feel Nana today and tomorrow you start a hashtag to kick him out.”
There were some who felt Ghana needed to concentrate more on salvaging the country than to paying attention to this publication from AFP Fact Check.
“you wake up to a needless hashtag like #kicknanaout. In times of crisis like this? You all think about is politics? Can’t the two parties work hand in hand and get a cure.”
- How The NDC Is Turning Into A Populist Party For Votes
- Would Akufo-Addo contest again in 2024 should he lose this year’s elections?
- 7 Promises by John Mahama that we can confidently trust
- 5 Promises John Mahama has made that we cannot trust
- Is John Mahama on a promising spree because he still believes Ghanaians have short memory?
- For how long will Volta Region keep voting without any significant development?
- How far with A-Plus and his TPP?
- Why I will vote against Akufo-Addo even if he gives me free water and electricity for life
- Will the Ashanti Region keep on voting for mere promises?
- Akufo-Addo’s free water and electricity, are they for votes or genuine concern?
- Is Hawa Koomson’s act a confirmation that the NPP is the most violent political party in Ghana?
- Why is the President cutting sods for new projects? What if the NDC wins the 2020 elections?
- 3 Reasons Why Ashanti Region Should Vote For The NDC At All Cost
- Ghanaian celebrities who have publicly shown displeasure for Akufo Addo’s governance
- 5 groups of people who should vote for NPP at all cost
- 4 groups of people who should vote for NDC at all cost
- Why Ashanti Region must show the NPP the exit in the upcoming elections
- Ghanaian politicians who have been to prison
- Money or Intelligence, Which one has more power in the NPP?
- Will the final year SHS students thank Akufo-Addo for FSHS or punish him for COVID-19 exposure?
- Where is Martin Amidu?
- In-depth analysis that shows that Dr. Bawumia and Prof. Naana Jane are on the same level academically and politically
- 7 examples that prove that NPP’s leadership is a family affair
- A Ritual? These Are NPP Bigwigs Who Died In An Election Year
- How NPP has strategically secured over 2 million votes ahead of 2020 elections
- In-depth analysis that shows that Akufo-Addo has won the 2020 elections
- Akufo-Addo’s cabinet members go missing; sparks rumours of widespread of COVID-19 in the Jubilee House
- Who wins Madina seat in the 2020 Parliamentary Elections? Lawyer Francis Xavier or Hon. Boniface?
- Akufo-Addo goes ‘missing’ in isolation; sparks rumours of coronavirus treatment
- NPP repeating NDC’s mistakes as they spend all time on Prof. Jane Naana and ignore John Mahama to walk free