The novel coronavirus pandemic has forestalled and postponed a lot of activities globally and Ghana is no exception. The virus has affected all facet of life from religion, sports and political-related gatherings.
In this article, we look at some important events that are still on hold or have been cancelled due to the outbreak of Covid-19.
Mahama running mate announcement
With just six months into the general election of the Republic of Ghana, the running mate of John Dramani Mahama is yet to be appointed and out doored by the former president to the Ghanaian populace. The National Democratic Congress has attributed the delay due to the coronavirus pandemic.
There were concerns in the media that the former president has settled on someone but he came out to debunk the claim. John Mahama is expected to soon appoint someone to be his running mate. The former president is also expected to announce his running mate in a big outdoor event, this the coronavirus isn’t making it possible.
Ghana would have been an interesting place by now with lots of political parties paraphernalia, party songs, political chants and accolades and huge political parties campaigns at various football stadiums and party offices. Due to the restrictions imposed by the president on public gatherings as a result of the coronavirus outbreak, these rallies have been postponed or may not happen at all.
While the President takes advantage of his public addresses on coronavirus to subtly send campaign messages, his opponent John Mahama is also relying on social media to reach to Ghanaians with his promises. If things do not get better, Ghanaians who have no access to the internet and media may not hear anything from the presidential candidates before the elections.
Ghana Premier League
Looking for TWO SURE? This group won the Friday and Saturday games. Click to join Whats-App group.
Ghana’s football was marred with corruption and exposes. After the Anas Number 12 expose that grind football to a halt in the country with the normalization committee stepping in to normalize things, the football season kick-started again but was suspended after the first round of the season due to the COVID 19. The football authorities are now contemplating whether to truncate the season or proceed with it.
The Akwasidae Festival is celebrated by the Ashanti people and chiefs in the Ashanti Region as well as the Ashantis in the diaspora. The festival is celebrated on a Sunday, once every six weeks. It has been suspended due to the scare the disease poses on human lives.
Cancellation of Hajj
The Islamic Pilgrimage or Hajj has been cancelled. This automatically means that Ghanaian pilgrimage will not be able to make the journey this year. An announcement in Saudi Arabia reveals that only a limited number of the pilgrims will take part in the activity.
The Black stars were set to kick start with their qualifiers for the 2021 African cup fo Nations but due to the coronavirus, the Stars cannot play with any country. It is currently not known when the qualifiers would be played.
Greater works conference is a congregation for the International Central Gospel Church which takes place every year. The COVID 19 pandemic has kept the event on hold for some time now. The overseer of the church has called off the service and asked the church to resort to fasting and prayers which start today Thursday 25 to Monday, August 3, 2020. Tithes and all other offerings can be made online.
Vodafone Ghana Music Awards
The Ghana music award is to celebrate musicians for good job done the year under review. This event mostly happens in April or May but has taken a different turn this year. VGMA is expected to come off in August due to the COVID 19. There are chances the event could be postponed or held online should the coronavirus cases in Ghana escalate.
Due to the ban of Shatta Wale and Stonebwoy from the awards scheme, a section of music lovers have lost interest in it and are not bothered if it comes on or not. Until the award is organised and a new Artiste of Year is successfully awarded, Ebony Reigns continues to be the Artiste of the Year. Last year, the award was not announced because of the gun-pulling incident that happened during the ceremony.
- VGMA 2020 Nominations: Full list of Nominees
- VGMA 2019: Shatta Wale wins with GRINGO and MY LEVEL
- VGMA 2019: Diana Hamilton’s ‘Mo ne yo’ wins Gospel Song of the Year
- VGMA 2019: Kwan Pa Band wins Traditional Artiste of the Year, Mizter Okyere wins Instrumentalist of the Year
- Charterhouse Asked Shatta Wale To Hype VGMA 2019 In Order To Win The Artiste Of The Year – Leaked Chat Reveals
- VGMA 2019: Let’s Keep Voting Else Critics Will Tease Us On Twitter – King Promise Entreats Fans
- VGMA 2019: I Deserved Artist Of The Decade Nomination – Tinny
- VGMA Board Members Are Refusing To Recognize Me As Musician – Lil Win
- VGMA 2019: Stonebwoy Thrills Fans At Nominees Jam In Kumasi (Video)
- VIDEO: Shatta Wale Performs At VGMA 2019 Nominees Jam
- VGMA 2019 Award Winners – Results from Asembi Polls
- VGMA 2019: Date, Time, Venue, Performing Artistes and Tickets
- VGMA 2019: I Was Surprised Strongman Didn’t Get Best Rapper Nomination – Teephlow
- VGMA 2019: This is how to vote for Shatta Wale
- VGMA 2019: “Artiste Of The Decade” Nominees
- Meet all the winners of Ghana Music Awards since it started in 1999
- VGMA 2019: I Won’t Fight Like Shatta Wale If I Don’t Win – Quamina MP
- VGMA 2019 Artiste of the Decade: Here are Artiste of the Year awardees for the past 10 years
- I’m No More An Underground Artiste – Quamina MP After VGMA Nomination
- VGMA 2019 Artiste of the Year: Shatta Wale takes lead in Poll; Joe Mettle last with 2.08%
- VIDEO: I’m Ready To Work With Charterhouse – Shatta Wale
- I Have International Awards; VGMA Isn’t My Focus – Nero X
- The New VGMA Plaque: Was It Necessary?
- VGMA 2019: 8 artistes who were shockingly snubbed
- Young Ghanaians Who Have Died of Coronavirus
- These Ghanaian celebrities show us how small things can help COVID-19 relief efforts in big ways
- KNUST Coronavirus Test Kit: Was it a hoax?
- Ghanaian celebrities who have tested for Coronavirus
- Notable Ghanaians who have died of coronavirus
- NPP members who have died of coronavirus