It is highly criminal for anyone, be it Ghanaian or a foreigner, to be in possession of a narcotic substance. The Narcotic Drugs Act.1990, PNDC Law 236 criminalizes the unauthorized use of cannabis and other narcotic substances.
The Act criminalizes the use of narcotic drugs and also recommends an imprisonment term of not less than ten years for users when caught. Despite the strict enforcement of the laws and daily reports of people being jailed, some popular persons in Ghana still had the audacity to possess drugs.
In this article, we explore some Ghanaian celebrities who have been jailed for possessing drug.
The boss of Mad Time Music, Kwaw Kese, popularly referred to as Abodam, was arrested in Kumasi, for smoking and possessing cannabis in public in the year 2014. The rapper was arrested on a Saturday at a wine shop close to Plus Two Pub at Nhyiaseo, a suburb of Kumasi.
According to ASP Charles Appiah, the rapper was sitting at a public place and among friends, and was caught smoking Cannabis when he was arrested.
Kwaw Kese was sentenced to a day in jail and a fine of Gh¢1,200. The musician was on remand for over a month at the Kumasi Central Prison.
In 2009, the Chief Executive Officer of Exopa, a Modeling Agency, Ibrahim Sima, was arrested at the Kotoka International Airport for trying to carry 5kg of cocaine abroad a plane. The drugs were hidden in 4 tubers of yam.
According to the airport security, after a random search was conducted on Sima, he was asked to provide his urine for a urine test but couldn’t provide them with the urine, a situation he explained saying, “his bladder couldn’t work because he was under intense security”. This strange phenomenon compelled airport security to search his luggage. Then they found the four tubers of yam with Cocaine hidden within. He was about to board a Lufthansa flight to Germany.
Ibrahim Sima was jailed fifteen-year but died in 2014 while serving his sentence at the Nsawam Prisons.
Isaac Abeiku Aidoo, alias Goodies, a former manager and producer of the Ghanaian musical group VIP, was arrested, trialled and jailed for 13 years for drug offences. He jailed for attempting to export 80 pellets of cocaine to the USA in the year 2008.
According to the Airport Security, while going through departure formalities, it was discovered that there were some foreign substances in his stomach. He was apprehended and sent to the 37 military hospital for an X-ray where it was determined and confirmed that the suspicion of the airport security was true. The 80 pellets of cocaine were retrieved from his stomach.
Goodies was released in 2014 after serving only 6 years in prison.
Former Ghanaian member of parliament for Nkoranza North was arrested and jailed in the United States of America on December 11, 2005 over possessing and trafficking drugs to the USA. He was given a 10-year jail term by a US court.
Eric Amoateng is back home and not much is heard about him lately.
Nayele Ametefe was jailed in the United Kingdom for eight and a half years but was released after serving three years out of the total sentencing in 2015.
Nayele had pleaded guilty to carrying 12 kilograms of cocaine to the UK. According to the UK prosecution, Nayele was arrested for carting cocaine to South America. During her arrest, she had in her possession, $23,000 and additional 6,000 pounds sterling in her handbag and with some passport.
Nayele’s arrest became a very big issue in Ghana with people trying to link politicians to her consignment.
A picture of Nayele walking in the streets of London surfaced on the internet not long ago.
Tagor and Abass
Tagor formerly known as Kwabena Amaning, and Abas,s formerly known as Alhaji Isaah Abass, were in 2005 sentenced to jail by the Accra High court for possession and pleading guilty to their engagement in narcotics-related businesses. The two confessed they were drug barons.
The two were jailed 15 years to prison each in hard labour in 2007. However, the two were acquitted and discharged by an Appeal Court in 2009.
Drug-related offences are very serious in Ghana. I, therefore, urge all readers of this article to stay away from narcotic drugs; it’s usage and trafficking. Spending 10 to 15 years in jail is not a joke.
- Kwaw Kese, and other Ghanaian celebrities who have gone to Prison
- Ghanaian celebrities who have the heart for advocacies
- Ghanaian politicians who have been to prison
- Ghana Celebrities Advocating For Marijuana Legalization
- 4 Ghanaian musicians whose career were ruined by drugs
- Sarkodie shares inspiring throwback photos to motivate fans on twitter
- It’s a shame Ghanaians don’t celebrate me regardless of my exploits – Kwaw Kese
- At your age you still live in your mother’s house with your 5 kids – Kwaw Kese fires Tinny
- Tinny threatens to kill Kwaw Kese’s career
- Kwaw Kese And Fernec Okyere Stabbed Musiga In The Back- Obuor Claims
- D-Black ‘Attacks’ Tinny For Tagging Him As A Wack Rapper
- I Don’t Regret Describing Kwaw Kese As A Wack Rapper – Tinny Insists
- Shatta Wale is The Poorest Artiste In Ghana – Kwaw kese
- Kwaw Kese Blasts Tinny For Calling Him A Wack Rapper
- Beef Alert: Kwaw Kese Makes Tinny’s List Of All Time Wack Rappers
- Arrest The Murderers Of Fennec Okyere Not Wee Smokers – Kwaw Kese Tells Police
- Stop Arresting Weed Smokers And Find Fennec’s Killers – Kwaw Kese Tells Ghana Police
- Fennec Okyere’s Murder: Kwaw Kese Remembers Him After 5 Years
- VIDEO: Apologise To Ghanaians For Lying That You Own A $1 million Mansion – Kwaw Kese Tells Shatta Wale
- Stonebwoy Is The Best Artiste In Ghana At The Moment – Kwaw Kese
- VIDEOS: Mr Eazi, Kwaw Kese, Wendy Shay, King Promise, Others Shut Down Legon Pentagon Hall
- VIDEO: Yaa Pono Advises Legon Students To Resort To “Wee Smoking” In Order To Learn Faster
- SCREENSHOT: Kwaw Kese Fights Over 3Music Awards Nomination
- Kwaw Kese Now A Football Club Owner
- Ghanaian Celebrities Who Had Babies 6 Months After Marriage
- After 20 years of Smoking, Kwaw Kese Begs God To Help Him Stop In 2019
- Kwaw Kese gives the only reason he would attend Shatta Wale’s ‘Reign’ album launch