International reggae artiste, songwriter and producer, Rocky Dawuni says rapper Sarkodie was his student.
In a radio interview on Accra based Hitz FM Tuesday, Rocky Dawuni said he taught Sarkodie during his national service days but when Sarkodie shot to fame, he didn’t know that it was that same kid who had in his class.
According to him, he is happy knowing he is part of the success story of Sarkodie.
“Obviously, I did not know about it …, he was one of the students in Universal Primary in Koforidua who was in my class… he got the opportunity to experience my music,” Rocky Dawuni said and recounted how he first heard a song by Sarkodie recommended by a friend to check him [Sarkodie] out.
He added that after hearing the song, he could tell Sarkodie had an amazing and real talent of expanding and exploring beyond the shores of the country.
“I remember when I first heard Sarkodie, I was in Los Angeles when somebody called me to check this guy out, and his track was ‘Borga’, for me, as an artiste, I can tell the quality when I hear the person’s voice and also the delivery; the delivery of that song was just so flawless and caught me right there…”
“I have always respected his music…I remember when I came to Ghana one time and was asked what artiste I felt has amazing qualities, he was the one I mentioned right from the onset because I felt he was a real talent and then came to realize he was actually in my class.”
Dawuni has shared the stage with the likes of Stevie Wonder, Peter Gabriel, Bono, Jason Mraz, Janelle Monae and John Legend, among many others.
Named one of Africa’s Top 10 global stars by CNN, he has showcased his talent at prestigious venues such as The Kennedy Center in Washington, D.C. and The Hollywood Bowl in Los Angeles.
- Guess Which Grammy Awards Nominee Taught Sarkodie In School
- Is Sarkodie currently in Ghana?
- Sarkodie’s ‘Oofeets? song ‘ignites’ rivalry between Sark Nation and SM
- Brand Nu Y3 SARK: Checkout Sarkodie’s Classic Red Carpet Look To The 2019 MTN 4Syte Music Video Awards
- I’m not ready to rap in English – Sarkodie
- The minister saying Sarkodie is the artiste selling Ghana the most is wrong – Bulldog
- ‘I Don’t Envy Sarkodie’s Success’- Edem
- Sarkodie named ambassador for Year of Return
- I didn’t go to Sarkodie’s concert because he didn’t invite me – Shatta Wale
- Sista Afia is just dope – Sarkodie
- Sarkodie features Idris Elba and Donaeo on Party N Bullshit
- Yaa Pono names his six friends in the music industry
- Yvonne Nelson and Nana Aba Anamoah ‘clash’ over Obrafour and Sarkodie
- ‘I worship Sarkodie like a god’- Nana Aba Anamoah
- Abna Eyes BET Award As She Congratulates Sarkodie
- Ghana’s Sarkodie makes history at 2019 BET Hip Hop Awards
- Shatta Wale beats Stonebwoy, Sarkodie at 2019 Ghana Music Awards UK
- How Ghanaian Entertainers reacted to Sarkodie’s BET win
- Kanye West’s Producer congratulates Sarkodie for getting a nomination in BET Hip Hop Awards
- I have the most loyal fan base in Ghana’ – Sarkodie
- Mr Eazi and Sarkodie accused of song theft
- Charging underground artistes for music features not wrong – Sarkodie
- I’ve tried for years to get Sarkodie on a song – Frustrated eShun cries out
- Should Sarkodie be studied as a course? Industry players argue
- Teach ‘Sarkodie’ in schools – Hammer
- I’ll love a collaboration with Shatta Wale, Stonebwoy, Sarkodie – Bro Sammy
- Nothing wrong with Medikal bragging he saved Ghana’s rap – Sarkodie
- I was paid 20 cedis for Azonto Fiesta with Sarkodie and Appietus – Kesse
- VIDEO: Sarkodie – Lucky ft Rudeboy (P Square)
- Ice Prince tells story of when Beyonce greeted Sarkodie at BET