Politics is all about interests; this has always been the case. Everyone does politics of convenience since it is not a religion but a business. That is why defection is very common only in election years because they would want to be noticed by the parties they are joining.
In 2016, most communicators of the National Democratic Congress joined the New Patriotic Party when they felt the wind of change. And that decision paid off big. Some of them are in juicy positions while the loyal footsoldiers who fought for the party for ages anguish in poverty. The people who benefit from political parties are not those who work hard, but those are strategic.
Kwame Asare Obeng who is popularly known as A-Plus, was one of the biggest fans of Nana Addo Danquah Akufo Addo and by extension the New Patriotic Party (NDC) from 2000 to 2016. He used his talent to compose propaganda songs in favour of the New Patriotic Party and against the National Democratic Congress. One of the songs were ‘Aben be bom’ which sought to throw light on some corruption in the government of the National Democratic Congress. He capitalized on the fame to launch his political career.
A Plus has asserted on several platforms that his hard work brought the New Patriotic to Power. Apart from supporting the party with his music, he was also on the grounds with the party executives campaigning and explaining the policy alternatives of the then opposition New Patriotic Party to the people. He was duly awarded for his sweat for the party.
He got himself in BOST with a contract to transport fuel around Ghana. For whatever reasons, he attacked and accused the Deputy Chiefs of Staff as being Corrupt. In a post on Facebook, he described the two, Mr. Samuel Abu Jinapor and Mr. Francis Asenso Boakye as being “stupid” although he failed to explain their crime.
BOST terminated his contract in a painful manner that made him bitter about the party. He argued that the New Patriotic Party was different from the National Democratic Congress in the sense that the former allows freedom of expression from the members, unlike the latter. He decided to retaliate and prove his supremacy in the political space of Ghana. He said he is the most influential political figure on Facebook in Ghana and can make or unmake a regime. He also believed that most people would vote for the party he would vote for, so he would decide who wins the 2020 general elections.
Kwame Asare Obeng, together with some of his friends, formed THE PEOPLE PROJECTS (TPP). Launching the pressure group, A Plus said:
“TPP as a movement is advocating for the national development planning commission to be made an autonomous body and tasked to design a twenty year development plan for Ghana. This, we believe, will lead a focused sense of direction, promote continuity by preventing political actors, be it NDC, NPP or any other party from directly influencing or interfering in national Projects unnecessarily. We are also calling for the amendment of the 1992 constitution.”
“It’s a known fact that, the constitution is full of flaws and actually protects the elite and the political class at the detriment of the common Ghanaian. Additionally, we are calling for the cancelation of Exgratia. As always stated by the leader of this great movement, parliamentarians must only receive such amount once. The reason for this is that, all other civil servants retire just once in 35 to 40 years and receive peanuts as pension but parliamentarians retire every 4 years and receive huge amounts which is causing financial loss to the state. This and many other reforms are what we seek to advocate for. In order to have a bigger bargaining power to support this advocacy, we are mobilizing millions of voters to enable us negotiate developmental demands with aspiring governments”.
By the objectives of the group, it was expected that it be more vibrant and visible now because we have a few months to the elections. He managed to get some big celebrities like Sarkodie and Nana Aba Anamoah into the pressure group. Apart from ranting on Facebook and campaigning against his darling boy, president Nana Addo Danquah Akufo Addo and his NPP, the TPP is not really seen doing anything to change the face of politics in Ghana.
It may be that he used the TPP’s influence to maintain his relevance in politics and not push for development as he wanted us to believe. So where is TPP now? Has A-Plus given up? Or has he affiliated himself with other party and he is yet to make it known?
- Ghanaian celebrities who have publicly shown displeasure for Akufo Addo’s governance
- How The NDC Is Turning Into A Populist Party For Votes
- Would Akufo-Addo contest again in 2024 should he lose this year’s elections?
- 7 Promises by John Mahama that we can confidently trust
- 5 Promises John Mahama has made that we cannot trust
- Is John Mahama on a promising spree because he still believes Ghanaians have short memory?
- For how long will Volta Region keep voting without any significant development?
- Why I will vote against Akufo-Addo even if he gives me free water and electricity for life
- Will the Ashanti Region keep on voting for mere promises?
- Akufo-Addo’s free water and electricity, are they for votes or genuine concern?
- Is Hawa Koomson’s act a confirmation that the NPP is the most violent political party in Ghana?
- Why is the President cutting sods for new projects? What if the NDC wins the 2020 elections?
- These Ghanaian musicians are beefing for real and not for publicity stunt
- Ghanaian celebrities who have the heart for advocacies
- 3 Reasons Why Ashanti Region Should Vote For The NDC At All Cost
- 5 groups of people who should vote for NPP at all cost
- 4 groups of people who should vote for NDC at all cost
- Why Ashanti Region must show the NPP the exit in the upcoming elections
- Ghanaian politicians who have been to prison
- Money or Intelligence, Which one has more power in the NPP?
- Will the final year SHS students thank Akufo-Addo for FSHS or punish him for COVID-19 exposure?
- Where is Martin Amidu?
- In-depth analysis that shows that Dr. Bawumia and Prof. Naana Jane are on the same level academically and politically
- 7 examples that prove that NPP’s leadership is a family affair
- A Ritual? These Are NPP Bigwigs Who Died In An Election Year
- How NPP has strategically secured over 2 million votes ahead of 2020 elections
- In-depth analysis that shows that Akufo-Addo has won the 2020 elections
- Akufo-Addo’s cabinet members go missing; sparks rumours of widespread of COVID-19 in the Jubilee House
- Who wins Madina seat in the 2020 Parliamentary Elections? Lawyer Francis Xavier or Hon. Boniface?
- Akufo-Addo goes ‘missing’ in isolation; sparks rumours of coronavirus treatment