The Tema West Chairman of the ruling New Patriotic Party (NPP), has defended President Akufo-Addo’s much-criticised half-hearted handshake with former President John Mahama.
Dennis Amfo-Sefah says the President did not snub anybody as is being claimed.
Popularly called Nana Boakye, he explained that the President appeared to have been a bit snobbish because he was in a hurry to cater for other dignitaries.
“The President is a perfect gentleman and will not do that. If you watch the video, you will realise that there were so many dignitaries that were waiting for the President to exchange pleasantries with and he gave the former President a quick handshake…not a snub as is being virally reported and moved on to attend to others” he said.
According to him, the backlash against the President was not fair, adding that he was confident that in the coming days, the seat of government would release a statement to clear the misunderstanding.
The President has come under public heat after a video that captured him seemingly snubbing former President John Mahama at a high-profile meeting on Wednesday went viral.
In the video, the President is seen exchanging hearty and warm handshakes with dignitaries at the maiden edition of the Kofi Annan Peace and Security Forum in Accra.
When he reached former President Mahama and he gave him an awkwardly quick handshake that gave the impression that he was not on good terms with his predecessor.
Both President Akufo-Addo and former President Mahama attended the programme as invited guests at the maiden edition of the Kofi Annan Peace and Security Forum with the President as the Guest Speaker and the Former President, a panel member.
Along with public furore, the opposition National Democratic Congress (NDC) described the President’s action as petty.
But Nana Boakye has hit back at the NDC, accusing the opposition party of trying to raise a storm in a teacup.
“The NDC are only doing what is expected of them – ride on this none issue to make some political capital, but it won’t wash. President Akufo-Addo is not a disrespectful man and nothing will change that,” Nana Boakye said.
The Tema West NPP Chairman advised the NDC to stop wasting its time in an attempt to make political capital out of the issue and rather concentrate its energies on coming up with viable governance alternatives to selling to Ghanaians.
- Lift the veil on Ghana Amalgamated Trust shareholders – Mahama to Akufo-Addo
- Akufo-Addo must reduce number of ministers – Mahama
- Stop lying to Ghanaians – Akufo-Addo charges Mahama
- Akufo-Addo cleaning ‘Mahama mess’ claim is most ridiculous – MP
- NPP and NDC’s achievements that are confusing voters in decision making
- Election 2020: John Mahama or Nana Akufo-Addo?
- This is why Mahama is losing the 2020 elections
- Why President Nana Akufo-Addo will lose the 2020 General Elections to John Mahama easily
- Why John Mahama Would Win 2020 Elections
- The Death Of Atta Mills: Who bails the cat?
- Why one of these 3 would be John Mahama’s running mate
- Akufo-Addo built Kotoka terminal 3 – NPP Communicator
- Vote against Akufo-Addo – Bantama NPP Chairman campaigns
- Mahama presents crucial report on Mozambique elections
- How dare you call Mahama a liar when your uncle misled us – Apaak jabs Gabby
- 2020 polls: Mahama’s Asutsuare training claims false – NPP
- 10 quotes from Akufo-Addo’s speech at the UN General Assembly
- Disband National Security Secretariat and Ministries – Lawyer Ndebugri
- Aisha Huang’s deportation was a mistake – Nana Addo
- Reject White Paper stance on Sam George’s abuser – Franklin Cudjoe to Akufo-Addo
- Corruption tag stuck on Akufo-Addo – Koku Anyidoho
- I’m not a zombie to Akufo-Addo – Allotey Jacobs
- NDC’s ‘acquired accent’ jab against Akufo-Addo was a joke – Edudzi Tamakloe confesses
- Nobody persuaded Mahama to concede defeat in 2016 – Julius Debrah
- Corruption fight: Akufo-Addo has been a disappointment – Atik Mohammed
- IMF, World Bank praises won’t win you 2020 polls – Ken Agyapong warns-Akufo Addo
- The tale of the two ‘family & friends’, John Mahama vs Akufo-Addo
- Akufo-Addo appoints new NYA top Managers
- Akufo-Addo’s appointees refusing to resign despite Public Services Commission’s directive
- Rawlings, Akufo-Addo biggest victims of politics of insults – Prof. Karikari