Ghana captain Andre Ayew has stated team-mate and younger brother Jordan will take a personal assessment of his own performance in Thursday’s 2021 Africa Cup of Nations qualifier against South Africa.
Although highly commended for his work rate, the Crystal Palace striker was criticised for selfish play and a lack of precision with final balls as the Black Stars secured a 2-0 home triumph in the Group C tie.
Goals from Thomas Partey and Mohammed Kudus decided the fixture at Cape Coast Stadium.
“He [Jordan] is a striker and we demand a lot from him,” Andre explained at the post-match press conference.
“He has to keep going and working. He has to try, make mistakes and try again. That’s the game. At the end of the day, we need players that will take initiatives. Emmanuel [Boateng] did that a few times, Jordan did that.
“We need initiatives if we want to score goals. Sometimes, [it was] too much, sometimes not, but you have to make mistakes so he’ll also go and watch the game again to see what he did right and wrong.”
Looking for TWO SURE? This group won the Friday and Saturday games. Click to join Whats-App group.
The older Ayew also shed light on his role during the game, offering some tactical insight into their approach.
“I felt very comfortable [in my role]. It was a great game. I’m very happy with the performance of the boys and myself personally,” said the Swansea City man.
“You can see the South Africans’ right and left midfielders were always in the middle [of the park]. So we also had to pack the middle, or else they will be playing four [men] against [Iddrisu] Baba and Thomas. So we also had to pack.
“We knew that we had quality so if we’re able to pack our midfield and win the ball, we can find a way to score. So our plan worked and we’re happy. We hope the next match goes the same way.”
Ghana have moved second of the table, just below Sudan who handed Sao Tome and Principe a 4-0 thrashing in the other group fixture.
The Black Stars next play Sao Tome away on Tuesday.
- Ghanaian celebrities you didn’t know are Muslims
- André Ayew hopes to join Jordan in EPL soon
- All the times Ghanaian celebrity fathers showed that baby girls are adorable
- Ghanaian families with the most celebrities
- Andre Ayew’s contribution only good for a Swansea City draw at Huddersfield
- Ghana trio nominated for CAF Award
- ‘Like Man Utd’- How Ghanaians reacted to Black Stars victory over Sao Tome
- Andre Ayew impressed with Black Stars ‘new boys’
- Steve Cooper reveals delight in Ayew’s reaction after missed chances against Sheff
- Swansea City’s Andre Ayew raves after derby win in the Championship
- Analysis: Jordan Ayew, Zaha outshine Aubameyang
- Ghana has ‘lost organisation’ since winning 2009 U-20 World Cup – Andre Ayew
- Jordan Ayew is rewarding the faith the club showed in him – Crystal Palace Chairman
- Jordan Ayew is worth much more – Crystal Palace boss
- Jordan Ayew comfortable in any system – Crystal Palace coach
- Jordan Ayew provides what Crystal Palace have been missing – Luka Milivojevic
- Crystal Palace manager ‘blasts’ Andre Ayew over Jordan comments
- Ayew and Schlupp in contention of Crystal Palace player of the season award
- Crystal Palace plot £4million permanent deal for Jordan Ayew