There’s always more. There’s always a greater good. Being a celebrity shouldn’t always be about the glitz and glamour. The greater good ought to be about influence. It has to be about how these people with big names can utilize their names for the betterment of the society in which they live.
Celebrities must also be interested in using their status as personalities of appeal to be able to effect positive changes and not always be about posting their flashy cars and luxurious mansions.
Some have found the light and are harnessing their celebrity powers to the best of their ability. Here, we’ll take a look at some celebrities and the various courses they are championing.
Feminism / Women’s right activists
The concept of feminism is always one which brings about different opinions. Of course, too much of everything, in the long run, becomes bad and so if taken to the extreme levels, feminism loses its taste and seems to metamorphose into a battle against the male gender.
However, in its strictest sense, feminism is simply about emphasizing that women ought not to be marginalized and restricted to certain roles in society.
Gifty Anti is definitely the first name to mention when it comes to feminism. She is a Ghanaian broadcaster and journalist. She is the host of the popular show, STAND POINT.
Lydia Forson, a celebrated actress, is also one of the celebrities who advocate for feminism. Others include Deloris Frimpong Manso known popularly as Delay, Akumaa Mama Zimbi (Dr. Joyce Akumaa Dongotey-Padi) and Citi FM’s Nana Ama Agyemang Asante.
Corruption in Ghana is quite remarkable. It explains why despite the abundance of natural resources in Ghana, the country remains impoverished. Definitely, a lot is needed to be done if corruption is to be drastically minimized in this country.
Kudos must be given to celebrities who have decided to speak up against it because it is a perilous path to tread. The danger emanates from the fact that a lot of political party faithful do not have the nation at heart but are interested in the monies and properties they can loot and share during their period of stay in governance.
Celebrities who have gained the reputation as anti-corruption campaigners include investigative journalist Anas Aremeyaw Anas, Manasseh Azure Awuni , A-Plus, Yvonne Nelson and Lydia Forson. Of course, Anas Aremeyaw needs no introduction. A-Plus has also been recently hitting very had at the Nana Addo-led administration.
A Plus has, on several occasions referred to President Nana Addo as a dishonest man and has exposed cases of corruption in the country. He is reported to have saved the nation GHS33.4 million after exposing corruption at the Public Procurement Authority (PPA). He revealed that a figure the PPA put up on their website as being the cost for auditing and reviewing contracts signed under the erstwhile John Mahama government was bloated.
The figure put up on the PPA’s website was initially GHS33,768,560 but was later corrected to GHS337,85.60. The PPA claimed that it was an honest mistake. However, experts revealed that such an error is unpardonable.
Celebrities such as Christian Atsu and Kwadwo Asamoah have taken a special liking in helping to improve upon the quality of lives of prisoners. The Crime Check Foundation whose Executive Director is Ibrahim Oppong Kwarteng also supports prisoners who have become victims of questionable justice delivery.
The Crime Check Foundation is presently advocating for lighter sentences for cases deemed as petty cases.
Yeap, yeap, yeap!! In 2019, the Narcotics Control Board (NACOB) issued out a stern warning to celebrities, Radio Presenters and Entertainers who incessantly press for the legalization of marijuana. The PRO of NACOB, Nana Osei Nkwantabisa averred that the law is very clear on the illegality of drugs considered as narcotic and speaks against the promotion, usage and possession of such drugs.
When in March 2020, marijuana was legalized, a lot of celebrities who had been pushing for its legalization rejoiced. However, they seemed to be ignorant of the fact that marijuana was only legalized for industrial and health purposes.
Celebrities who are pushing for the legalization of marijuana include; Deborah Vanessa (Sister Debby), comedian David Oscar, Blakk Rasta, Samini, Rocky Dawuni, Ras Kuuku, Kwaw Kesse, John Dumelo and Yvonne Nelson.
When celebrities are advocating for a good cause, they, in turn, win the hearts of people who would be beneficiaries of such policies.
- Ghana Celebrities Advocating For Marijuana Legalization
- Ghanaian celebrities and their brands that Ghanaians actually love
- Ghanaian celebrities who will retweet when you tweet at them
- Ghanaian celebrities who love dogs
- Ghanaian celebrities who are practising or raised Catholics
- These Ghanaian celebrities show us how small things can help COVID-19 relief efforts in big ways
- Ghanaian female celebrities using their star power to launch businesses
- Ghanaian celebrities who love farming
- Ghanaian Celebrities Who Had Babies 6 Months After Marriage
- Top Ghanaian celebrities who found love beyond our borders
- BE INSPIRED: Rich Ghanaian celebrities who grew up in the ghetto
- Ghanaian celebrities who have struggled with infertility
- Ghanaian celebrities with royal blood that you probably didn’t know
- Ghanaian celebrities who married into high society
- Ghanaian musicians using their real names as stage names
- PHOTOS: Female Ghanaian celebrities who make short hair beautiful
- Ghanaian celebrities who got into trouble because of their cars
- Ghanaian celebrities with kids from different partners
- Ghanaian celebrities who married or dated foreigners
- Ghanaian celebrities who have made us proud overseas
- Ghanaian celebrities who have been accused of sexual misconduct
- These Ghanaian musicians are beefing for real and not for publicity stunt
- Ghanaian Celebrities Who Are Atheists
- Ghanaian celebrities who have publicly shown displeasure for Akufo Addo’s governance
- 5 Most generous Ghanaian celebrities who inspire us with their timely donations
- PHOTOS: Female Ghanaian celebrities who are physically and intellectually endowed
- 9 Ghanaian celebrities who switched Kumasi for Accra
- Ghanaian Female Celebrities Who Have Been Brutally Assaulted By Their Boyfriends
- Coronavirus: Ghanaian Celebrities who were put under mandatory quarantine
- Ghanaian celebrities who went through hell before getting a child