Ghana’s laws on Narcotic Drugs Act.1990, PNDC Law 236 criminalizes the unauthorized use of cannabis, marijuana or what street name you prefer giving it. The Act criminalizes the use of narcotic drugs and also recommends an imprisonment term of not less than ten years for users when caught.
Initially, this decision was welcome by everyone looking at the dangers associated with the use of cannabis or marijuana. However, modernization has proven a positive benefit to marijuana which could be used to enhance economic growth and also for medicinal purposes.
This new enlightenment has stirred up advocacy for the decriminalization of marijuana, and in Ghana, these celebrities are front liners who are advocating for the legalization of marijuana.
Ghanaian actress and glaucoma advocate, Yvonne Nelson, is one of the loud celebrities in Ghana who are advocating for the decriminalization of the use of marijuana. According to the actress, she is more particular about the health benefits of the narcotic drug as the drug is linked to treating glaucoma.
Kwaw Kese happens to be among the few Ghanaian celebrities who have fallen victims to the Narcotic Acts as he has been arrested for the possession and smoking of marijuana. Regardless, the musician wants the government to decriminalize the use of marijuana.
He stated in an interview on Pure FM that “I don’t see why legalization is a big deal, people are investing billions of dollars into it but it’s sad we think it can only be smoked, but we can use it for other important things.”
In an interview with Accra-based radio station, Hitz Fm, the Ashiaman based rapper, Yaa Pono, highlighted on the economic and medicinal benefits of cannabis as a reason why the government should enforce laws to control marijuana and not to criminalize it.
Ghanaian model and singer, Sister Derby, in the latter part of 2019 made a post on her Twitter handle where she highlighted on the enormous economic benefits the country could derive from marijuana and described its criminalization as needless.
Reggae dancehall legend Samini is also one of the active advocates who have called on the government to legalize the use of marijuana. The singer in an interview on Yfm stated that a lot of money and revenue could be generated from the farming of marijuana.
Blakk Rasta is of the great view that, the government should consider establishing a marijuana factory under the one district one factory project than to criminalize it. To Blakk Rasta, he believes that banning paracetamol is way lucrative and a better option than keeping weed illegal.
John Dumelo recently asked authorities to legalize the marijuana drug. In a twitter post, the Ghanaian actor and politician advised the government of Ghana to look at farming and exporting cannabis as the country can rake in huge sums of money from the global marijuana trade.
The Managing Editor of the Insight newspaper, Kwesi Pratt Jnr, has called on the government to join countries legalizing the use of weed.
He quizzed the system saying, “Why are the big dealers not being arrested and it is only the small ones? we all know there are some big men who smoke; lawyers, doctors, civil and public servants but why are they not being arrested and only the poor and the disadvantaged? Meanwhile, there are other countries who have given people license to cultivate marijuana.”
- Ghanaian celebrities who have the heart for advocacies
- Ghanaian celebrities and their brands that Ghanaians actually love
- VIDEO: Shatta Wale Advocates For The Legalisation Of ‘Weed’ In Ghana
- These Ghanaian celebrities show us how small things can help COVID-19 relief efforts in big ways
- Ghanaian celebrities who love farming
- What Dumelo told Samini after he called on him to change the narrative
- Sarkodie shares inspiring throwback photos to motivate fans on twitter
- Why Yvonne Nelson did not attend John Dumelo’s wedding
- VIDEO: Yaa Pono Advises Legon Students To Resort To “Wee Smoking” In Order To Learn Faster
- PHOTO & VIDEO: Nadia, Yvonne Okoro And Yvonne Nelson Spotted At John Dumelo’s Son’s Naming Ceremony
- Ghanaian Celebrities Who Had Babies 6 Months After Marriage
- VIDEO: Actress Yvonne Nelson regrets organising “Dumsor Vigil” Against the NDC?
- John Dumelo is a ‘Fool’ – Yvonne Nelson
- Ghanaian female celebrities who got broken heart in 2018
- Ghanaian celebrities who will retweet when you tweet at them
- Ghanaian musicians using their real names as stage names
- PHOTOS: Female Ghanaian celebrities who make short hair beautiful
- Ghanaian celebrities who got into trouble because of their cars
- Ghanaian celebrities with kids from different partners
- Ghanaian celebrities who are practising or raised Catholics
- Ghanaian celebrities who married or dated foreigners
- Ghanaian celebrities who have made us proud overseas
- Ghanaian celebrities who have been accused of sexual misconduct
- Female Celebrities Who Want To Be President
- Ghanaian Celebrities Who Are Atheists
- Ghanaian female celebrities using their star power to launch businesses
- Kwaw Kese and other popular Ghanaians who were jailed for possessing drugs
- 9 Ghanaian celebrities who switched Kumasi for Accra
- How Samini married two wives in the same year, and divorced them
- Ghanaian secular musicians who used to sing in the Church before going commercial