Black Stars captain, Asamoah Gyan, says he is optimistic that the current crop of players in the senior national football team, can go all the way and win the upcoming 2019 Africa Cup of Nations even if he is not selected for the tournament.
Gyan, who has been the leading striker of the national team for the best part of the last decade says he is well aware that his time in the national team is drawing ever closer and very soon he would have to make way for younger players in the team.
Speaking on Asempa FM, Gyan who is the top scorer in the history of the Black Stars said, “The team can obviously win the 2019 Africa Cup without me. I have been doing my best for the national teams for at least fifteen years now and at some point, we need to give the young ones a chance. I think sometimes experienced players like myself may not necessarily start or play in every game but everything will depend on the coach. If the coach decides that in a particular game, he wants an experienced player then that is fine and if he decides that in this game he wants to use a younger player then that is also fine. I don’t have a problem at all. ”
Gyan’s modest admission is indicative of the fact that he now realises that he may not lead the lines for Ghana If he is lucky to make the 23-man squad for the tournament. Despite his struggles at club level, Gyan is a proven goal-scorer and with no stand-out striker in his absence, he may well be sent to the 2019 AFCON because of his proven track record.
Gyan’s desire to go to this AFCON is understandable. He realises that this will be his last chance to win an AFCON trophy after missing out on the title in 2010 and 2015 when Ghana finished as losing finalists.
Only last week, Jordan Ayew described Asamoah Gyan as irreplaceable in the Black Stars, underscoring the importance of the former Sunderland striker if Ghana is to win the 2019 AFCON.
- My Best Friend Has Betrayed Me ─ Asamoah Gyan Reveals
- All the times Ghanaian celebrity fathers showed that baby girls are adorable
- WILD PHOTOS: Ghanaian celebrities obsessed with cars
- 5 Most generous Ghanaian celebrities who inspire us with their timely donations
- Should Castro return today, these 4 things would be his biggest surprises
- Ghanaian personalities who have been accused of occultism
- English Premier League Betting Guide – Tips & Advice
- 2021 AFCON qualifiers: Kwesi Appiah drops Asamoah Gyan, three others for South Africa game
- Asamoah Gyan delighted with first goal in Indian Super League
- All eyes on Gyan as Indian League kick off
- Penalty miss against Uruguay is now part of my life – Asamoah Gyan
- Asamoah Gyan’s estranged wife Gifty jams to Kuami Eugene’s ‘Ohemaa’ song
- Asamoah Gyan should keep quiet, he’s not the family spokesperson – Castro’s father
- Asamoah Gyan set for Black Stars return after Nana Addo’s Phone call
- Asamoah Gyan quits international football
- Asamoah Gyan stopped catering for his 3 children since July 2018 – Wife cries to court
- Pay my maintenance expenses and that of our children – Asamoah Gyan’s wife demands
- Asamoah Gyan jabs estranged wife in latest video?
- Kwesi Appiah hints at possible omission of “unfit” Asamoah Gyan from Black Stars squad for AFCON 2019
- Special Competition: Karela United Whip Hearts Of Oak
- Special Competition: Eleven Wonders 0-3 Asante Kotoko – Porcupine Warriors return to winning ways
- Ghana can win 2019 AFCON without me – Gyan
- Atletico Madrid places €80 million as Thomas Partey’s price tag
- I won’t naturalize for Russia – Kadri Mohammed pledges his allegiance to Ghana
- Barca coach disappointed in Kevin Boateng’s attitude to training
- Bring back Muntari, KP Boateng – Alhaji Grusah
- Real Madrid consider shock move for Thomas Partey
- Sheep disrupt Liberty Prof. vrs Dwarfs game
- AFCON 2019: Egyptian Embassy To Assist Ghanaian Fans Ahead Of Tournament
- Inter star Kwadwo Asamoah delighted by ‘important’ win against Genoa