Former Black Stars Captain, Stephen Appiah, has revealed that former players are becoming actively involved in every aspect of football in the country and will soon oversee the administration of the Ghana Football Association (GFA), which has undergone reforms.
Seven nominees filed to contest the GFA Presidency on Friday, 20 September 2019. They are Mr George Afriyie, Mr Kurt Okraku, Mr Wilfred Kwaku Osei Palmer, Nana Yaw Amponsah, Mr George Ankamah Mensah, Mr Fred Pappoe and Madam Amanda Clinton.
Responding to a question by Class 91.3FM’s Magdalene Krampah about why no ex-footballer filed to contest for the top job at the GFA, the Technical Coordinator of the Black Stars said one of the criteria is for candidates to have been part of the management of a football club.
Looking for TWO SURE? This group won the Friday and Saturday games. Click to join Whats-App group.
Appiah pointed out that “most of us (ex-footballer) are not with any club, so, automatically it disqualifies us from being part [of the GFA race]”.
He was quick to add that: “Slowly, we are understanding things; that is why you will see former players like Laryea Kingston, [Godwin] Attram, [Ibrahim] Tanko, Michael Osei, C.K. Akonnor and the rest involving themselves in [various aspects of football activity]”.
The former Juventus midfielder was optimistic that “soon, you will see players involving themselves in every sector when it comes to football”.
Appiah was capped for the Ghana national team 67 times and scored 14 goals. He also played for local team Accra Hearts of Oak and later featured for Udinese, Parma, Brescia, Bologna and Cesena in Italy.
He also had stints with Turkish side Fenerbahçe and Vojvodina in Serbia.
- Prestigious Address: Ghanaian celebrities who have moved to East Legon
- WILD PHOTOS: Ghanaian celebrities obsessed with cars
- BE INSPIRED: Rich Ghanaian celebrities who grew up in the ghetto
- Why Ghana are not a force in international football – Stephen Appiah
- Transition of players from junior teams bane of Black Stars – Appiah
- Stephen Appiah is the father of Vanessa Gyan’s child – An Insider alleges
- PHOTOS: Black Stars player, Jonathan Mensah marries longtime girlfriend
- PHOTO: Stephen Appiah loses mother 4 days to his birthday