National Communications Officer of opposition National Democratic Congress ( NDC), Sammy Gyamfi has stressed that the approach adopted by the Bank of Ghana to clean up the financial sector is highhanded, insensitive and callous.
Speaking on TV3’s NewDay programme monitored by MyNewsGh.com, a fiery Sammy Gyamfi said that the approach of revoking licences of insolvent financial institutions and appointing receivers to wind them down was inappropriate.
“That approach, we maintain as a party is highhanded, it was not well-thought through, it is bound to fail, it is already failing, and it is worsening the bad situation it was supposed to remedy…We are saying that a bailout approach would have been far better than the insensitive and callous approach the Akufo Addo government has adopted in killing people’s businesses…” he maintained.
His assertions follow Bank of Ghana’s revocation of licences of eight finance houses and fifteen savings and loans companies a week ago.
These actions according to the Central Bank were taken pursuant to Section 123 (1) of the Banks and Specialised Deposit-Taking Institutions Act, 2016 (Act 930), which requires the Bank of Ghana to revoke the licence of a Bank or Specialised Deposit-Taking Institution (SDI) where the Bank of Ghana determines that the institution is insolvent. The Bank of Ghana has also appointed Mr. Eric Nipah as a Receiver for the specified institutions in line with section 123 (2) of Act 930.
According to the Central Bank, the revocation of the licences of these institutions has become necessary because they are insolvent even after a reasonable period within which the Bank of Ghana has engaged with them in the hope that they would be recapitalized by their shareholders to return them to solvency.
- 9 Ghanaians With The Most Difficult Jobs That You Wouldn’t Want To Be In Their Shoes
- Where are all the senior politicians in the NDC? The battle is no longer for babies
- Upcoming referendum ‘a very useless exercise’ – Sammy Gyamfi insists
- Only a fool doesn’t change his mind – Sammy Gyamfi on NDC’s referendum U-turn
- Insensitive, nepotistic Akufo-Addo govt stealing from Ghanaians – Sammy Gyamfi
- Apologise or face us in court for slandering Gabby Otchere-Darko – Aide to Sammy Gyamfi
- Akufo-Addo the ‘most nepotistic leader in the world’ – NDC
- SHS headteachers, officials of GES now in bed with failed NPP govt – NDC cries out
- How NDC’s Solomon Nkansah allegedly hired a machoman to slap him to disrupt NPP program
- ‘We’ve evidence NPP is training thugs at Asutuare for election 2020’ – NDC
- I’ll deal with ‘small boy’ Sammy Gyamfi – Allotey Jacobs fires
- Akufo-Addo has reduced Nduom from ‘edwumawura’ to ‘efiewura’ – Sammy Gyamfi
- Future NDC government will prosecute Hawa Koomson – Sammy Gyamfi
- Akufo-Addo’s government full of ‘braggarts’ and ‘talkatives’ – Sammy Gyamfi
- I hope you have ‘balls’, I’m ready to meet you in court – Sammy Gyamfi dares NPP Chair
- VIDEO: NPP’s Nana B Slaps NDC’s Sammy Gyamfi During A Live Studio Discussion In The Studio Of Asempa FM
- NAM 1 sponsored Akufo-Addo’s 2016 campaign – NDC claims
- Nana Addo Is A ‘Visionless’ President ─ Sammy Gyamfi
- Sammy Gyamfi beats Fred Agbenyo for NDC Communication Director position