Burniton Music signee, Kelvyn Boy, has said rap music and dancehall have their foundations built on what is popularly called ‘beef’ in the music industry.
Speaking on TV3’s NewDay with Ayisha Yakubuu, he said, “I think dancehall particularly was literally built on beefs and competitions”.
He added that beefs are necessary in the showbiz industry depending on the genre of the song. Rap music thrives on beefs however, Afrobeat songs are devoid of such back to back ‘battles’ among artistes, he noted.
The “Mea” hit maker also criticised the Ghana music industry for neglecting some African genres of music. He lashed out at industry players saying that foreign music has been favored by the industry while Afrobeat, which he believes is of Ghanaian descent, has been relegated to the background.
“Some things are not being done right. We are lost as an industry because we don’t even have Afrobeat in our category.”
Calling on Ghanaians to claim ownership of what is theirs, he stated that reggae dancehall hails from Jamaica and hip pop is for the Americans.
“It’s not about we having 90 percent of Ghanaian content on air; that won’t do anything. Let’s own our genre, afrobeat and we will see changes.”
However, the award winning musician observed that the Ghanaian music industry is growing, yet there is more work to be done to get to the desired level.
- ‘I Don’t Want Shatta Wale To Sign Me, He Has Poor Managerial Skills’- Kevynboy Fires
- The industry has no room for an ungrateful person like Kelvyn Boy – KOD fires
- ‘Don’t Get Emotional About My New Song’- Kelvynboy Tells Stonebwoy
- Kelvynboy will still make it without Stonebwoy’s support – Music Producer
- Kelvyn Boy must work on his attitude – Stonebwoy
- I’ll continue to praise God – Kelvyn Boy reacts to his sack
- Kelvynboy’s contract with Burniton Music ended long ago – Stonebwoy
- Kelvynboy finally apologizes to Stonebwoy for being ‘ungrateful
- My wife ‘prophesied’ Kelvynboy will betray Stonebwoy – Mr Logic
- Stonebwoy finally breaks silence on Kelvyn Boy leaving his BhimNation
- Wendy Shay reacts after she was snubbed by Kelvynboy (Video)
- New video shows how Kelvynboy started his beef with Wendy Shay
- BEEF ALERT: Bullet blasts Kelvynboy after he snubbed Wendy Shay
- It wasn’t intentional – Kelvynboy speaks after snubbing Wendy Shay
- The reason Kelvyn Boy decided to snub Wendy Shay revealed
- Shatta-Stonebwoy Peace Conference: Kelvynboy snubs Wendy Shay (Video)
- Blakk Cedi finally shows Stonebwoy power on Instagram after he sacked him
- Kofi Kinaata deserves nomination in Gospel Song of the Year category – Quophi Okyeame
- ‘Buy land in Ghana’ – Akon woos African-Americans investors ahead of Year of Return
- KiDi speaks on having a child at age 23
- Govt has failed in educating citizens about ‘Year of Return’ – Shatta Wale
- Africangurl Donia (AGD) – ‘Reason With Me’ (Cover)
- Medikal, Eno to ‘shutdown’ Ghana with Cardi B
- Most gospel musicians are not called by God – Cindy Thompson
- Obrafour ‘angrily’ replies Yaw Labito over allegations
- Kidi was my prayer point – Kuami Eugene confesses
- Kuami Eugene recounts ‘crazy’ experiences with female fans
- 2019 has been the best year in my music career – Strongman
- Sarkodie’s ‘Oofeets? song ‘ignites’ rivalry between Sark Nation and SM
- Musician Kontihene escapes a gory accident (+ photo