Columbus Crew right back Harrison Afful is set for a six-week spell on the sidelines after suffering a broken jaw during Saturday’s win over Atlanta United.
The incident occurred an inadvertent collision with countryman Jonathan Mensah in the 27th minute.
He was immediately taken to the hospital after the match where he remained for a couple days to deal with the jaw fracture.
”I heard a sound, but you just never know – it’s wet and the ball is hitting sopping wet jerseys so you just don’t know what the sound is,” Columbus crew midfielder Will Trapp said.
”So he went down and I thought it was a nose break, which is still serious but not a big deal. To hear that he broke his jaw is just devastating.”
Afful’s jaw is wired shut and will be for at least four weeks, then will need to return to match fitness.
The match against Atlanta was Afful’s 100th in MLS regular season play since joining the Blood and Gold in 2005.
- English Premier League Betting Guide – Tips & Advice
- Harrison Afful in Columbus Crew contract talks
- Special Competition: Karela United Whip Hearts Of Oak
- Special Competition: Eleven Wonders 0-3 Asante Kotoko – Porcupine Warriors return to winning ways
- Columbus Crew ace Harrison Afful suffers broken jawn 100th MLS cap; ruled out for SIX weeks
- Atletico Madrid places €80 million as Thomas Partey’s price tag
- I won’t naturalize for Russia – Kadri Mohammed pledges his allegiance to Ghana
- Barca coach disappointed in Kevin Boateng’s attitude to training
- Ghana can win 2019 AFCON without me – Gyan
- Bring back Muntari, KP Boateng – Alhaji Grusah
- Real Madrid consider shock move for Thomas Partey
- Sheep disrupt Liberty Prof. vrs Dwarfs game
- AFCON 2019: Egyptian Embassy To Assist Ghanaian Fans Ahead Of Tournament
- Inter star Kwadwo Asamoah delighted by ‘important’ win against Genoa
- Special Competition matchday 2 wrap: Sharks shoot down Hearts as Liberty humiliate Dwarfs
- Ghana moves three places up in latest FIFA rankings
- Team Dogboe cautions US Embassy
- Evans Mensah climbs from bench to grab brace as HJK Helsinki start Finnish League with victory
- Ghana defender Nicholas Opoku impresses as Udinese hold AC Milan in serie A
- Majeed Waris recovers from injury, travels with Nantes side to face PSG in French Cup
- Black Queens captain Elizabeth Addo elated after joining Chinese side Jiangsu Suning
- Man United target Thomas Partey features as Atletico Madrid close gap on Barcelona in La Liga
- KP Boateng will leave Barcelona at the end of the season
- Andre Ayew determined to win AFCON title
- Anthony Annan neglects kids; wife cries for help
- Black Stars Denied Hotel Access
- CAF CONFEDERATION CUP: Kotoko Fall To Zesco; Eliminated In Group Stage
- Asamoah Named As Manager of Schalke 04
- FIFA Approves A New 24 Team Club World Cup
- UEFA Champions League quarter-final draw: Manchester City face Tottenham, Barclelona play Man United