Ghana’s Musician of the Decade, Michael Owusu Addo, known in showbiz as Sarkodie, has lashed out at upcoming artistes in the entertainment and showbiz industry who fault established acts for charging them for collaborations.
Sarkodie argued that music is done as a full-time job by most musicians in the industry and charging for their services should not be considered a bad approach.
He averred it at the discretion of the established musician to feature for free and should be considered a favour and not an entitled, ABC News has gathered.
The multiple award-winning musician expressed these concerns in a tweet in response to comments made by up-and-coming rapper, K’Swagg on Hitz FM.
The promising rapper disclosed in an interview monitored by ABC News that the Jennifer Lomotey hitmaker, Kurl Songx, charged him Ghc1, 500 for a music feature and Ghc6000 for a music video appearance, a fee he couldn’t afford thus failed to shoot the video.
These comments gained social media traction, with some people berating Kurl Songx for charging a budding artiste who is yet to make a mark in the industry and earn money to afford such fees.
Looking for TWO SURE? This group won the Friday and Saturday games. Click to join Whats-App group.
However, Sarkodie in his tweet justified the decisions of Kurl Songx insisting that up-and-coming musicians should be more tactful in how they manage issues of such nature.
“Y’all don’t get it twisted, First off music is a full-time job. Its a choice give service for free but not a must. If you’re lucky to get one’s service for free, you thank the person but it ain’t a must. Don’t make it seem like @Kurl_songx was wrong, I’m pretty sure there are loads of features he’s done with no fees due to several reasons. New acts coming up should be careful how they treat these issues, you will soon get there. I don’t think it was necessary to sit here and discuss personal business, not good for both parties” Sarkodie tweeted.
Below is Sarkodie’s twitter post:
- Sarkodie’s ‘Oofeets? song ‘ignites’ rivalry between Sark Nation and SM
- Brand Nu Y3 SARK: Checkout Sarkodie’s Classic Red Carpet Look To The 2019 MTN 4Syte Music Video Awards
- I’m not ready to rap in English – Sarkodie
- The minister saying Sarkodie is the artiste selling Ghana the most is wrong – Bulldog
- ‘I Don’t Envy Sarkodie’s Success’- Edem
- Sarkodie named ambassador for Year of Return
- I didn’t go to Sarkodie’s concert because he didn’t invite me – Shatta Wale
- Sista Afia is just dope – Sarkodie
- Sarkodie features Idris Elba and Donaeo on Party N Bullshit
- Yaa Pono names his six friends in the music industry
- Yvonne Nelson and Nana Aba Anamoah ‘clash’ over Obrafour and Sarkodie
- Ghana’s Sarkodie makes history at 2019 BET Hip Hop Awards
- Shatta Wale beats Stonebwoy, Sarkodie at 2019 Ghana Music Awards UK
- How Ghanaian Entertainers reacted to Sarkodie’s BET win
- Kanye West’s Producer congratulates Sarkodie for getting a nomination in BET Hip Hop Awards
- I have the most loyal fan base in Ghana’ – Sarkodie
- Mr Eazi and Sarkodie accused of song theft
- I’ve tried for years to get Sarkodie on a song – Frustrated eShun cries out
- Should Sarkodie be studied as a course? Industry players argue
- Teach ‘Sarkodie’ in schools – Hammer
- I’ll love a collaboration with Shatta Wale, Stonebwoy, Sarkodie – Bro Sammy
- Nothing wrong with Medikal bragging he saved Ghana’s rap – Sarkodie
- I was paid 20 cedis for Azonto Fiesta with Sarkodie and Appietus – Kesse
- VIDEO: Sarkodie – Lucky ft Rudeboy (P Square)
- Ice Prince tells story of when Beyonce greeted Sarkodie at BET
- Is Beyoncé your queen? – Shatta Wale ‘angrily’ asks Sarkodie
- Shatta Wale ‘ignorantly’ shares a photoshopped post of Sarkodie on social media
- Sarkodie is a hypocrite – Shatta Wale
- Promote our music and stop ranting about politicians – Shatta Wale tells Ghanaians
- Sarkodie fires government