Controversial dancehall artiste, Charles Nii Armah Mensah popularly known as Shatta Wale, has disclosed why he turned down an offer to perform at the Confederation of African Football (CAF) 2018 Awards Gala held in Ghana.
The award-winning musician whose songs has crossed African borders was expected to perform at the awards gala alongside other African musicians but failed to mount the stage after bagging an earlier 30,000 USD from the organizers.
Speaking on the issue for the first time in an interview with Paul Adom-Otchere on the Good Evening Ghana, the ‘Dancehall Commando’ asserted that the organizers failed to follow due process by informing his management about the deal.
Despite apologizing to his fans for disappointing them, Shatta maintains that the organizers slacked in signing a contract with him as they had done previously for the 2015 CAF Awards in Nigeria.
“I’m sorry if I let some people down… people didn’t get the message clear,” Shatta told host, Paul Adom-Otchere.
He added, “CAF didn’t sign a contract with me and secondly they didn’t link any of my management team, so actually when that whole thing came up I was a bit surprised. How come they will come and pay me some money without a contract.”
The ‘My Level’ hit maker who has continuously called for better contracts for Ghanaian musicians refuted claims he deliberately missed the event because the Nigerians were given a better contract.
Looking for TWO SURE? This group won the Friday and Saturday games. Click to join Whats-App group.
He said, “it wasn’t because of the Nigerians but I wanted them to know that this is a serious artist who has taken this business serious, if you want to put me on the show, there are procedures you need to go through. So the procedure wasn’t right that’s why I didn’t show up.”
Five Nigerian artistes including, Wizkid, Tiwa Savage and Flavor performed at the awards ceremony whiles Ghanaian musicians Efya and KiDi opened and closed the show respectively.
Watch videos below;
- Govt has failed in educating citizens about ‘Year of Return’ – Shatta Wale
- Sarkodie’s ‘Oofeets? song ‘ignites’ rivalry between Sark Nation and SM
- ‘I Don’t Want Shatta Wale To Sign Me, He Has Poor Managerial Skills’- Kevynboy Fires
- Shatta Wale earns first Grammy credit on Beyonce’s Lion King album
- Shatta Wale Dashes His ‘Most Popular Video’ Award To Stonebwoy And Promises Never To Beef With Him Anymore(Video)
- 4SyteTv Music Video Awards 2019: Shatta Wale bags 5 awards
- Stop pretending and make Ghana better – Shatta Wale tells Ghanaians
- When will Ghanaians rise against these greedy politicians? – Shatta Wale
- I know my name will fade off soon – Shatta Wale
- It’s a lie – Michy denies patching up with Shatta Wale
- I didn’t go to Sarkodie’s concert because he didn’t invite me – Shatta Wale
- I no longer post videos insulting anyone – Shatta Wale
- I’m working things out with Shatta Michy – Shatta Wale
- It’s all an act – Shatta Wale on controversies
- Shatta Wale has made me fearless – Wendy Shay
- Review of Shatta Wale’s Wonder Boy Album Concert with DreamLine
- My son’s music will be studied in universities soon – Shatta Wale’s mother
- Stop peddling falsehood – Shatta Wale warns bloggers
- Shatta Wale has never been my friend – Yaa Pono
- Shatta Wale escapes arrest warrant
- I can’t wish people what I don’t feel – Yaa Pono to Shatta Wale
- Shatta Wale launches ‘Wonder Boy’ album at 2019 Reign Concert
- Shatta Wale’s ‘Wonder Boy’ album, a mark of greatness
- 5 reasons Shatta Wale could not fill the Fantasy Dome at 2019 ‘Reign Concert’
- I didn’t wish Shatta Wale ‘Happy Birthday’ because he is not my friend – Yaa Pono
- Shatta Wale’s wish of showering fatherly love on his son finally granted
- These throwback photos of Shatta Wale as he turns 35 will put smiles on your face
- Shatta Wale causes debate with latest comments on NPP and NDC
- Shatta Wale to win Grammy Award with Wonder Boy
- I promote Ghanaian culture with my music – Shatta Wale