Leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), Nnamdi Kanu, has challenged the declaration by a Federal High Court that his group be proscribed and that it was a terrorist organization.
Kanu’s lawyer, Ifeanyi Ejiofor, argued that the court order labeling IPOB as a terrorist group was heard ex parte – i.e. without notice to the other interested party. A move he described as injurious to his client and therefore illegal.
Looking for TWO SURE? This group won the Friday and Saturday games. Click to join Whats-App group.
In papers filed on Friday September 22 at a Federal High Court in the capital Abuja, Kanu’s lawyer said, IPOB was not a non-violent group and could not be said to be a terrorist organization.
The Nigerian government on Wednesday obtained a court order that allowed the pro-Biafra group to be tagged a terrorist and militant group.
Before the court declaration, the army last week slapped the terrorist tag on the group but the Army Chief said it was more of a pronouncement than a declaration. The U-turn came on the back of criticism that it was not for the army to declare one group or the other as terrorists.
Kanu was detained for over a year and half on charges of treason and was only released in April this year. He went missing after the military clashed with IPOB members at his home in Umuahia in Nigeria’s Abia State.
Kanu is pushing for a separate republic of Biafra nearly 50 years after a previous declaration of independence sparked a civil war which left more than a million people dead. Members of the group have occasionally clashed with Nigeria’s security apparatus during protests.
- Actor, Yul Edochie, Weighs In On The Tattoo Saga, Says Celebrities Whose Fans Tattoo Them On Their Body Are Truely Blessed
- ‘Enjoy Your Drama In Peace And Leave Me Out Of It’ – Nkechi Blessing Issues A Strong Warning To Bobrisky
- ”Be Very Careful When Choosing A Role Model” – TBoss Warns Netizens Look Up To Ka3na
- Regina Daniels Savagely Replies A Troll Who Said She Shares Pictures Anyhow
- Photo: Davido Accepts To Negotiate A Collaboration Between Bobby Shmurda And Bella Shmurda
- “I’m A Clout Who Pulls Attention Like The Radio And Television” – Blessing Okoro
- Regina Daniels Sparks Reactions With Her Expensive Wine Coloured Sneakers
- Toke Makinwa Reveals Why Women Do Cosmetic Surgery
- Rejected Fan Who Tattooed Ka3na On Her Body Lands In Hospital After Allegedly Taking Poison (Video)
- Big Win For Burna Boy As He Features In Pepsi Global Ad With Messi And Paul Pogba
- Simi Announces The Release Of Her New Album Soon
- Tattoo Saga: “Know The Difference Between Bosslady And Buslady” – Tboss Shades Ka3na
- “A Smile Is The Best Makeup A Lady Can Wear”- BBNaija Star, Vee
- This Beauty Is Unmatched, Nengi Storms Internet With These Adorable Photos
- Tunde Ednut Makes Another Grand Entry Back To Instagram; Finally Accepts He Is A Blogger
- ‘This Is Madness’ – Nigerians React As Blessing Okoro Tattoos Denrele Edun’s Name On Her Arm
- Davido Visits Where He Used To Live When He Was Broke
- ‘Please Stop Lying’ – Nigerians React As Davido Visits Where He Used To Live When He Was Broke
- “For Better For Worse”- Zlatan Says As He Tattoos His Baby Mama’s Name On His Body
- BBNaija’s Erica Reacts After Beyonce Gifts SA Comedian, Elsa Majimbo Ivy Park Box
- ”God Can Change Your Life In A Second”- Regina Daniels Motivational Message To Her Fans
- BBNaija’s Tolanibaj Hints On Plans To Visit Ghana
- Banky W And Adesua Etomi Announces The Name Of Their Son
- Donald Trump Wishes Tiger Woods A Speedy Recovery After LA Crash (Photo)
- A Look At A Video Footage From Tiger Woods’ Accident
- BBNaija’s Lilo Defends Herself, Says She Did Not Misuse Her Opportunity On The Reality Show
- “My Head Deserves A Headie”- Falz Says As He Shares Lovely Photo Of Himself Receiving His Award
- ‘Headmaster Head’- Funke Akindele, Broda Shaggi, Vee and Others React As Falz Shares Fresh Bald Photos
- Mayorkun’s Parents Celebrate His Success At The Headies Awards 2020
- “Don’t Dish Out What You Cannot Take” – Nkechi Blessing Advises