Kayserispor and Ghana forward Asamoah Gyan has announced his retirement from international football with the Africa Cup of Nations fast approaching.
Ghana’s all-time leading scorer took the decision after he was told he will no longer be the national team captain at the AFCON by Coach Kwesi Appiah.
The 33-year-old expressed disappointment in the Black stars coach’s decision and retired from the national team on Monday.
”If the decision of the coach is to give captaincy of the tournament to another player while I am named in the team for the tournament, I wish to rescue myself from the tournament,”
”I also wish to retire from the national team permanently, not pretending my presence would not fuel the purported undermining the country has seen under my captaincy.’’ He stated in a press statement.
Gyan represented Ghana at three FIFA World Cups and is currently Africa’s leading goalscorer with six goals in the history of the World Cup.
He made his international debut at the age of 17 and went on to become Ghana’s all-time leading scorer with 51 goals with over 106 caps for the Black Stars.
- Asamoah Gyan’s career on the verge of collapse in Turkey
- What happens to Asamoah Gyan’s huge investment with Menzgold?
- Ghanaian celebrities who are multi-talented that you probably didn’t know
- All the times Ghanaian celebrity fathers showed that baby girls are adorable
- WILD PHOTOS: Ghanaian celebrities obsessed with cars
- 5 Most generous Ghanaian celebrities who inspire us with their timely donations
- Should Castro return today, these 4 things would be his biggest surprises
- Ghanaian personalities who have been accused of occultism
- Black Stars holds first training session ahead of Sao Tome and Principe clash
- AFCON 2021 Qualifiers: Why the Black Stars flew to São Tomé via military aircraft
- AFCON 2021 Qualifiers: Black Stars beat South Africa in Cape Coast
- Black Stars storm Cape Coast ahead of South Africa game on Thursday
- Black Stars players arrive on Sunday night for South Africa AFCON clash
- Ex-Sports Minister details how Ghana used ‘juju’ to beat Egypt 6-1 in 2013
- 2021 AFCON qualifiers: Kwesi Appiah drops Asamoah Gyan, three others for South Africa game
- Asamoah Gyan delighted with first goal in Indian Super League
- South Africa set to face Ghana and Sudan within three days
- All eyes on Gyan as Indian League kick off
- Penalty miss against Uruguay is now part of my life – Asamoah Gyan
- Asamoah Gyan’s estranged wife Gifty jams to Kuami Eugene’s ‘Ohemaa’ song
- Asamoah Gyan should keep quiet, he’s not the family spokesperson – Castro’s father
- Ghana fail to beat Benin in AFCON opener
- Africa Stand Up! The Movement To Unite African Musicians To Compete The World Is Here – “The Taste of Afrika”
- Kwesi Appiah announces final 23-man squad for AFCON
- Black Stars lose to Namibia in pre-AFCON friendly
- Ghana to play Namibia in pre-AFCON friendly on Sunday
- Black Stars held their first training in Dubai
- Asamoah Gyan set for Black Stars return after Nana Addo’s Phone call
- Asamoah Gyan stopped catering for his 3 children since July 2018 – Wife cries to court
- Pay my maintenance expenses and that of our children – Asamoah Gyan’s wife demands