The International Committee of the All Africa Music Awards (AFRIMA) has withdrawn hosting rights from Ghana for the 2019 and 2020 editions of AFRIMA.
According to the committee, the lack of capacity to meet the financial and contractual obligations necessary to host the biggest music event in Africa is the reason for the withdrawal.
The body reached the decision on Monday after several months of meetings and consultations with relevant stakeholders to remedy the situation.
It was expectated that Ghana would provide concrete assurances and guarantees to discharge its contractual obligations for hosting the 2019 and 2020 editions of AFRIMA after its disappointing performance on the contract during the 2018 edition of the awards held in Accra between November 21 and 24.
The decision of the African Union (AU) and AFRIMA to award a three-term hosting right (2018-2020) of the awards to Ghana followed the May 21, 2018 declaration of President Nana Akufo Addo of his desire to host the AFRIMA Awards in Ghana during the AFRIMA 2018 Calendar Unveiling Ceremony held in Accra.
The International Advisor of AFRIMA, Rikki Stein in a speech in Ghana said:
“It was a hard decision for us to withdraw the awards hosting rights for the next two years (2019 and 2020 editions) from the Republic of Ghana.
“As an awards owned for the African people, it is structured to travel around the continent giving the people the true African experience.”
“We have some fond memories of our time in Ghana immersing ourselves in the lifestyle and music and we have formed great friendships among the Ghanaian people.
“We look forward to returning to Ghana at a more opportuned time.
“However, we cannot afford to compromise the standard of the laudable vision of AFRIMA to create a truly African brand that connects Africans and build the equity of Africa.
“The situation faced in Ghana has the potential to erode the goodwill and giant strides we have achieved in Africa through the awards.”
- Shatta Wale Dashes His ‘Most Popular Video’ Award To Stonebwoy And Promises Never To Beef With Him Anymore(Video)
- Stonebwoy reveals his political ambition
- Why should fans pay to vote for their artistes in award schemes? – Stonebwoy asks
- Shatta Wale beats Stonebwoy, Sarkodie at 2019 Ghana Music Awards UK
- My wife not the cause of ‘confusion’ with Black Cedi – Stonebwoy
- Kelvyn Boy must work on his attitude – Stonebwoy
- Stonebwoy’s daughter Jidula models for a kids store
- Shatta Wale & I deserve special treatment – Stonebwoy
- Kelvynboy’s contract with Burniton Music ended long ago – Stonebwoy
- My wife is too busy to be my manager – Stonebwoy
- Kelvynboy finally apologizes to Stonebwoy for being ‘ungrateful
- My wife ‘prophesied’ Kelvynboy will betray Stonebwoy – Mr Logic
- My wife is my biggest manager – Stonebwoy
- Voltic signs Stonebwoy as brand ambassador
- Stonebwoy finally breaks silence on Kelvyn Boy leaving his BhimNation
- Stonebwoy, Joey B and others to thrill fans at Zero Borla Concert
- Stonebwoy’s words to Bukom Banku after UK win
- Stonebwoy shares another throwback photo which shows he’s grateful to Samini
- Stonebwoy and Blakk Cedi spotted at Rev Obofour’s wife birthday party
- Stonebwoy, Shatta Wale case stalls
- Stonebwoy, Shatta Wale case stalls
- Stonebwoy unfollows Kelvynboy on Instagram after implying he’s ungrateful
- I’m dropping a new album in 2020 – Stonebwoy
- Shatta ‘bigs up’ Stonebwoy on his Buju Banton collabo
- Buju Banton’s jail history won’t affect our collabo – Stonebwoy
- I’ll love a collaboration with Shatta Wale, Stonebwoy, Sarkodie – Bro Sammy
- Of Stonebwoy’s rants on bloggers; Attractive Mustapha has an advice for him
- Stonebwoy, Samini could have gotten Beyonce collabo – Shatta Wale
- ‘Shuga’ is the biggest song in Ghana right now – Stonebwoy brags in his latest US interview
- Stonebwoy’s bodyguard assaulted by area boys